Get a new CD player ??
Feb 5, 2006 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Gorthon

100+ Head-Fier
I am debating what to do with my home system (details below) CD player. In 1994 I purchased a Yamaha CDC-745 for $380. Recently I have been having problems with it. I think it may be a power transformer, but I am not sure. Since it is so old, I am wondering if it is worth work fixing or if I should get something new. Since this has been removed from my system we have been using the Sony DVP-NS315 DVD/CD player as our CD source. My assumption is that these are probably sub par in today’s standards as sources. What do you think?

Would I get a “Wow” if I was to upgrade to a new source? If so, what would you recommend for under $500?
What would your consider the best value product?

Main Home System:
Parasound AVC-1800
Parasound HCA-2205A (5 channel amp)
Snell LCR500 (L & R)
Snell HCC (Center)
Snell SUR500 (Surrounds)
M&K MX-150thx (Subwoofer)
Sony DVP-NS315 (DVD/CD)
Yamaha CDC-745 (CD)
Yamaha KX360 (Tape Deck)
Sony KV-32V16 32"TV

Feb 5, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #2 of 5
DVD players are supposed to make pretty good sources, but I'm sure they're not as good as an Onix XCD-88 for example. There's one up for sale on the FS forum at the moment btw...

Feb 5, 2006 at 7:14 AM Post #3 of 5
You can also choose from many models of universal players under $500.00 that can give you access not only to CDs but also SACDs/DVD-As. Since you already have a multi-channel setup, why not?

Feb 5, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
DVD players are supposed to make pretty good sources, but I'm sure they're not as good as an Onix XCD-88 for example. There's one up for sale on the FS forum at the moment btw...

I would love to get this.

My wife would really like a multiple disk player.
frown.gif
No 200 disc monster. Somthing like a 5 disk unit. She likes to load it up and let it go for the day. I get the feeling that multiple disk players are not well liked. I am not sure why.

As a compromise, are there any multi-disc players that could be recommended?

Feb 5, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorthon
I would love to get this.

My wife would really like a multiple disk player.
frown.gif
No 200 disc monster. Somthing like a 5 disk unit. She likes to load it up and let it go for the day. I get the feeling that multiple disk players are not well liked. I am not sure why.

As a compromise, are there any multi-disc players that could be recommended?

The dislike of multi disc players is partly based on the fact that the extra plumbing takes away from the cost of the primary components - a $500 multidisc player may have $50 - $100 or parts which are not directly related to the actual CD playback. However one possible unintended benefit is that sometimes the playback system is so much more embedded in the machine that less mechanical noise escapes compared to a single disc player - I have found some multidisc players to be very quiet in operation. However any complicated mechanisms may be more prone to failure and there may even be electrical interference between the different subsystems.

I have owned or own the following multi disc (5 cd) players
Yamaha CDC685, Rotel RCC940AX and Marantz CC4300. The Rotel is now relatively old but is marginally the best of them - you can find them for about $150, the Marantz is fine sound quality wise but I have my doubts about the build quality these go for about $150 refurbished - the Yamaha surprised me as it was er, surprisingly good - these are about $150 - $200 new but I found mine on eBay for $60.

You could always buy a cheap multidisc player for yourr wife and an entry level decent player for yourself
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back