german bits in english lyrics
Mar 30, 2004 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Riordan

500+ Head-Fier
every once in a while american or british artists use the most unmusical of languages for a silly quote, often with ludicrous spelling and dubious grammar, yet sometimes quite eloquently.
my current favorite in this discipline is franz ferdinand (scottish indie band) singing

"ich heisse superfantastisch und trinke schampus mit lachsfisch"

this roughly translates as
"my name is superfantastic and i drink champagne with salmon" - only in german it's a hilarious 'schüttelreim', a sort of spoonerism.

Mar 31, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #2 of 3
I've always wondered about random English in stuff like J-pop. The one I really can't figure out is the random English in Indian movies that my roommate watches. He can't explain to me what English phrases are part of the vernacular or why they are used, it's like some requirement leftover from colonial rule that they must have five English phrases in every movie in addition to the 15 song and dance routines.

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:22 AM Post #3 of 3
Korean songs also have some English accented words in their songs (Baby Vox, Diva, FinKL, Park Jiyoon)... well... gives me some idea of what they're singing of..

Some singers have such an accent in their language, sometimes you don't even realize they've switched off from their native language and just sung a few words in english.

Try this... accent every syllable in every word. It's kinda fun..
Or I'm just way too bored.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back