Geraldine Fibbers-- Lost Somewhere Between the Earth and My Home
Nov 9, 2002 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
Unless you were an indie rock afficianado/geek circa the mid-90's, you missed this incredible group.

This album is the female-led-band equivalent of Nirvana's Nevermind. It's that good. Their only major-label release, it came out in '95 and got eclipsed by Courtney Love's (Hole's) "Live Through This". Between the two releases, the Fibbers album is by far the better album IMO.

The Fibber's lead singer, Carla Bozulich, has chunks of Courtney Love in her stool! She is the most fearsome female lead singer I've ever seen or heard, and I've seen a lot of them live and in the flesh. If you have no basic objection to hard-core female-led bands check this out. Imagine a more talented Hole with a slight country tinge and you get the basic idea.

You should easily be able to find this record in the used bin cheap, and it's well worth the full price. The Fibbers have a few other albums, but this is the one that crystallized everything they could achieve. It's just astounding, and in my all-time top 10, FWIW.

Anyone else remember the Fibbers?

Mark

Nov 9, 2002 at 5:59 AM Post #2 of 6
Myself, I'm partial to "Butch." Good record,...and yeah, good band.

Um. Chunks of Courtney Love...well, eeeeeew. Pretty accurate though.

Nov 9, 2002 at 6:06 AM Post #3 of 6
Angus,
"Butch" is a fine album, no doubt, but it's not as committed or as focused as "Somewhere..". Do you have "Somehere..."?

Also there's a promo-only live album ("Live from the Bottom of the Hill", a local venue here in SF) that's better by far than "Butch". Carla Bozulich and Nels Cline (a very famous guitar player that joined the Fibbers in one of their latest incarnations) released a solo album that was just... well, it left a lot to be desired.

Anyway, if you thought Courtney Love was tough... just listen to Carla!

Mark

Nov 9, 2002 at 6:17 AM Post #4 of 6
Actually, I've not heard Somewhere...and it's clear now that I need to pick it up. I have Butch but I haven't heard the earlier disk. So it's just those 2 disks and a promo. Has Carla moved on now? or are they still together?

Nov 9, 2002 at 6:21 AM Post #5 of 6
There's an earlier album on an indie label, but it errs toward the "country" side of the "country-punk" combination and isn't that worth-while IMO. If you can find the live album ("Live at the Bottom of the Hill") that's a total winner, though.

Beyond the solo album that Carla and Nels released, I'm unaware of any newer material.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back