Gentleman's way of killing?
Sep 16, 2015 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
I just read that Abraham Lincoln was challenged to a duel because he wrote insulting letters to James Shield, a notable attorney for Illinois. During that time, Lincoln was the state legislature for Illinois so you had two prominent men of higher social classes who were very angry at each other.

But at the last moment, the duel was called off and nobody got killed. However other prominent politicians were killed in duels like Alexander Hamilton who was killed by Aaron Burr, Vice President of the United States.

We all run into conflicts and there have been times when I've been really mad at other guys. But do I wish them death? I remember at my one job I was so mad at my boss and perhaps I should have challenged him to a duel, maybe outside the building in the back parking lot I suppose but technically, duels are illegal and I don't even know how to operate a gun or a sword.

Everybody gets mad at times but is a duel a gentleman's way of settling an argument? Is this a gentleman's way of killing to solve a dispute? Maybe it was more of a man's world back then and it was the manly thing to do. It was probably a more respectable and gentleman like thing to do when you were angry at someone.

Sep 16, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 25
You might be interested to note that in the more aristocratic US south, colonial then State governments attempted to curb dueling by making the burden of proof to prove slander much less onerous. The hope was parties would settle the matter in court rather than on the field of honor (dueling ground).

Sep 16, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #6 of 25
Didn't it used to be angry guys in wigs using their tucked-in glove to slap their offender?

Man, gun control laws these days. :wink:

Edit: Didn't mean to offend anyone, I just do not know how fighting and killing gets lost in history.

Sep 16, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 25
I suppose I meant gentlemen dueling throughout history, not just in America.

For men dueling, you would probably have to ask a cave man why he clubbed his best friend over a woman. :)

In more recent history, men killed each other in dueling when joust matches became too intense. After all, armor can't make you invincible.

Sep 16, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #9 of 25
If dueling is still around today, I could in theory challenge a person to a duel in a road rage incident or if someone trash talks me on Twitter and I would wear proper clothes like a gentleman.

Sep 17, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #10 of 25
If dueling is still around today, I could in theory challenge a person to a duel in a road rage incident or if someone trash talks me on Twitter and I would wear proper clothes like a gentleman.

Yeah, but knowing you Spareribs you would most likely challenge your opponent to a BBQ duel !  Gentlemen choose your weapon !  (I added your "Gentleman" BBQ attire with your family crest on it, just to make it classy.) 
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #11 of 25
It would be the funniest thing ever if two guys filmed themselves in steampunk outfits getting out of their cars on a highway shoulder, only to take out their glocks and shoot a blank at each other and fall down dead.

Sep 17, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #12 of 25
That bbq duel sounds pretty tasty.

I'm thinking in the old days, there probably were guys who dueled each other for the most trivial reasons. I know these days, guys have committed murders for the smallest reasons like cheating on a casual weekend card game for example.

There probably were duels and sword fights because someone burped in a guy's face or something really minor. Since today, guys still fight each other for small reasons.

Sep 17, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #13 of 25
That bbq duel sounds pretty tasty.

I'm thinking in the old days, there probably were guys who dueled each other for the most trivial reasons. I know these days, guys have committed murders for the smallest reasons like cheating on a casual weekend card game for example.

There probably were duels and sword fights because someone burped in a guy's face or something really minor. Since today, guys still fight each other for small reasons.

It's because many people are weak-minded and snap at the most insignificant of transgressions. A real man feels no need to lash out at others.

Sep 17, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #14 of 25
Yeah I agree. Some guys are filled with all this macho testosterone and if you burp in his face in front of his friends, he may call you out for a fight in the ally or out in the field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back