Genius Loves Company SACD v. Monster???
Mar 14, 2006 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

LFF

Co-Organizer for Can Jam '09
Member of the Trade: Paradox
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Posts
7,055
Likes
261
Now, I sadly do not own this album.
frown.gif


With that in mind I was looking through amazon for some CDs when I cam across this:

B000BPFBVW.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg


and this:

B0002XEDQM.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg



Anyone have any experience with either one? Which one is better? Sound, etc. Please comment.
 
Mar 14, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #2 of 13

Jasper994

Organizer for Can Jam '09
Joined
Jun 3, 2003
Posts
6,114
Likes
13
I have the second one... It's a fantastic album. I'd be very curious to hear the high definition stereo layer of the first one.

Oh wait, mine is just the regular redbook not the SACD....
 
Mar 14, 2006 at 8:21 AM Post #3 of 13

Omega

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 14, 2004
Posts
520
Likes
13
I have the SACD hybrid, and it is very good...but since I haven't heard the redbook version, I make that judgement without a relative frame of reference--the redbook could be equally good! Regardless, an easy disc to recommend!
 
Nov 22, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #5 of 13

LFF

Co-Organizer for Can Jam '09
Member of the Trade: Paradox
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Posts
7,055
Likes
261
I purchased the monster copy because it was on sale for $5.00 at a local store.
 
It's brickwalled and sounds just like the craptacular retail version. Way to go Monster!!!
 
Maybe Monster should stop suing everyone who uses the word "Monster" and other cable makers and reallocate those funds to proper R&D and proper mastering.
 
Nov 22, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #7 of 13

the chemist

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Posts
132
Likes
27


Quote:
I purchased the monster copy because it was on sale for $5.00 at a local store.
 
It's brickwalled and sounds just like the craptacular retail version. Way to go Monster!!!
 
Maybe Monster should stop suing everyone who uses the word "Monster" and other cable makers and reallocate those funds to proper R&D and proper mastering.


Thanks LFF, that is a real bummer.
 
 
Nov 23, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #8 of 13

LFF

Co-Organizer for Can Jam '09
Member of the Trade: Paradox
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Posts
7,055
Likes
261


Quote:
WTH... Monster is the business of issuing specially remastered music now? Is it just meant for headphones, i.e. Dolby® Headphone Surround, and can't be played back on regular 2 channel systems? Their description http://www.monstermusic.com/superdisc.asp seems all very confusing.



It is if you have never purchased one of their craptacular releases. I'll be sure to let you borrow one of mine when I see you next.
 
Nov 23, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #9 of 13

purrin

aka Marvey, purr1n
Member of the Trade: Eddie Current
Joined
Aug 2, 2008
Posts
5,408
Likes
1,298
 
Quote:
It is if you have never purchased one of their craptacular releases. I'll be sure to let you borrow one of mine when I see you next.

 
I was hoping for a Dr. Dre re-mixed and re-mastered release of the Vince Guaraldi Trio's A Charlie Brown Christmas featuring Marshall Mathers.
 
Nov 23, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #12 of 13

Anaxilus

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 12, 2010
Posts
12,065
Likes
337


Quote:
WTH... Monster is the business of issuing specially remastered music now? Is it just meant for headphones, i.e. Dolby® Headphone Surround, and can't be played back on regular 2 channel systems? Their description http://www.monstermusic.com/superdisc.asp seems all very confusing.


They've been making discs for more than 6+ years now.  Usually a few annual selections, that's it.  Many are actually mastered by Noel Lee himself apparently.  They have a tiny, largely ignored display at Frys usually by the home theater section.
 
 
Nov 23, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #13 of 13

LFF

Co-Organizer for Can Jam '09
Member of the Trade: Paradox
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Posts
7,055
Likes
261


Quote:
 
 
I was hoping for a Dr. Dre re-mixed and re-mastered release of the Vince Guaraldi Trio's A Charlie Brown Christmas featuring Marshall Mathers.


Sorry dude! I only have a properly restored and mastered master tape of "A Charlie Brown Christmas"....no beats brickwalled MM Dr. Dre's boner version here.
 


Quote:
Many are actually mastered by Noel Lee himself apparently. 
 


Looks (sounds like as well) like that Monster has no ears.
 
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top