Genesis
May 31, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #46 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjohnusa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<------Check out the avatar!

I am an old prog rock fan from the 70's. I also stop at W&W for my Genisis fixes. If you want to check out another great innovative band from that era check out Gentle Giant...start with Interview.

I second that! And go backwards chronologically
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually, I would start with the live album "Playing The Fool" which was recorded prior to Interview but contains tracks from the excellent albums "In A Glass House" and "Free Hand".

And get the newly remastered editions, the original discs sound pretty bad.

Jun 1, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #47 of 79
Quote:

Yeah, Charisma label. I remember checking out the other bands on the album liners and wondering what the heck Genesis was doing on that label.

Jun 1, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #48 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riordan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why do many who love the gabriel era overlook trespass?

The LP was difficult to find when I was looking for it. It does have good songs on it, but so do a lot of their other albums. It gets lost with later albums as the band became more popular. I guess thats indirectly a good thing to say about the band; even their lesser known albums are great.

Jun 1, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #49 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Relayer71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BUT they have produced a few excellent albums and great songs in their long career (30 years and still going!).

A 'few'? Man, they played 3+ hours in Phx the last tour and I was still wishing they'd play some of their other songs.

I like Genesis for some of the great storytelling of the PG era and Rush for the introspective lyrics on the human condition. I agree, they are totally different and both excellent in their own way.

Jun 1, 2007 at 8:23 AM Post #50 of 79
Quote:

I am an old prog rock fan from the 70's. I also stop at W&W for my Genisis fixes. If you want to check out another great innovative band from that era check out Gentle Giant...start with Interview.

Gently Giant... i can dig it. I saw them live and they were really something special. I never thought to mention them because I didn't think anyone would have heard of them.
wink.gif

Jun 1, 2007 at 8:27 AM Post #51 of 79
Quote:

Obviously you don't like RUSH very much which is fine. But what do you base your judgement on? How many albums have you listened to?

I'm not sure who you are talking to but I'm a Canadian who grew up in Ottawa and, as I mentioned before, I saw Rush in one of their first concerts at my high school and later at least 2 times over the next 7 or 8 years.

BTW If we are going to get obscure here. Max Webster was a fun band. (and just for perspective during the 70s I saw Rush, Yes, Genesis, Brian Ferry, Gentle Giant, Super Tramp, and Jethro Tull ... to name a few). The only band that passed through that I truly regret not seeing was Bowie.

BTW Are you really unable to comprehend the analogy, between extremely complex motor coordination (such as typing) which is not neccessarily "musical" and the extremely complex (and difficult in terms of motor coordination) drumming of Niel Peart which, likewise, is not neccessarily musical. Let me spell it out for you if you want to play dumb and dismiss my comment as "comparing Neil Peart to a typist" .... great chops don't neccessarily mean great music ie Django Reinhardt's fingers were fused in a fire, and while he didn't have the chops of an Al Dimeola, he sure could blow him off the stage any day of the week in terms of sheer "musicality". Personally circus performances don't impress me. I like music that has soul and feel.

Jun 3, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #52 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by freeflier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW Are you really unable to comprehend the analogy, between extremely complex motor coordination (such as typing) which is not neccessarily "musical" and the extremely complex (and difficult in terms of motor coordination) drumming of Niel Peart which, likewise, is not neccessarily musical. Let me spell it out for you if you want to play dumb and dismiss my comment as "comparing Neil Peart to a typist

Maybe YOU are the one playing dumb - last time I checked one did not need originality or creativity to be a typist.

(Unless there is some secret Performing Typists Society that only you know of?)

If you can't hear musicality in Neil Peart's drumming then perhaps you are not musical enough.

Jun 4, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #53 of 79
This is a thread about Genesis right? There is a pretty good sounding 3 disc compilation that spans their careers from the early PG era to the latest pop trash. The 80's PC pop was really good and I especially like the 3 Sides Live album. Shortly after that they became unbearable with crap like "i can't dance".

Jun 4, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #54 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by razerx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shortly after that they became unbearable with crap like "i can't dance".

Hey, don't knock it completely. "We Can't Dance" is the album that turned me onto Genesis as a kid. My friend had the album and it caused me to look into their catalogue (was interested in this since I never knew Collins had a "band"). Picked up Trespass and the rest is history.

Needless to say, once I heard PG era Genesis I wondered what the hell I was liking with the later stuff. I'm personally not sure how that could be even considered Genesis, even if it included most of the original members.

Jun 7, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #55 of 79
Quote:

I second that! And go backwards chronologically
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually, I would start with the live album "Playing The Fool" which was recorded prior to Interview but contains tracks from the excellent albums "In A Glass House" and "Free Hand".

And get the newly remastered editions, the original discs sound pretty bad.

Oh yes...love "Playing The Fool" one of the best live albums ever in my opinion. I also love "Aquiring The Taste" but thought that may be a little over the top for a GG newbie.

Jun 7, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #57 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Absorbine_Sr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look for a copy of the remastered edition. The sound is much better than the original. I'm listening to "Get 'Em Out By Friday" right now.

A_Sr.

OK, will do, thanks.

I can't stand the later Genesis music like Duke etc. That song Mama was ok though.

Jun 7, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #58 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, will do, thanks.

I can't stand the later Genesis music like Duke etc. That song Mama was ok though.

yes! there's also the semi-instrumental track(s) 'home by the sea' that sounded almost like mike oldfield. their self-titled album is the only one out of the collins-era that i sometimes listen to (at least in parts). different to anything collins did before or after that.

Jun 11, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #59 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm a HUGE Peter Gabriel era Genesis fan (and PG solo as well) so trust me when I say you should give Duke a chance.

I avoided getting any of the Phil Collins era albums but after reading about the first few I felt it was safe enough to give them a chance. And I was curious, after all I still loved Collin's drumming and Steve Hacket's playing.

Then I said I wouldn't get any of the albums after Hacket's departure but a friend let me borrow "...And Then There Were Three" and it was still progressive rock despite what some of the reviews stated. Sure, it wasn't a strong album album (with the exception of the first track, what a great song) but it was decent and in fact has a couple of gems. The one really odd, non-Genesis-like track was last (Follow You, Follow Me) (and one of the reasons I put this purchase off, hehe).

Still I swore NOTHING AFTER THAT - especially since I'd heard a lot of the tracks on radio back in the 80s and frankly, I hated them. Still, keeping an open mind (and being pushed by a friend) I gave Duke a listen.

Surprise, yet again!

Yes, they changed their sound, becoming more pop/soft rock - god how I TRULY hate "Misunderstanding", "Alone Tonight", and "Please Don't Ask" ("Turn It On Again" has grown on me over the years) but there are a lot of great songs on this album, and like Lamb, it's somewhat of a concept/story album.

The first 4 tracks are terrific as are the last 2 (instrumentals too!) and there's one track in between that is probably the standout, and has a very powerful vocal performance by Phil - "Cul-De-Sac".

Anyway, give Duke a chance - some of the songs were definitely weak (the "hit" charts would say otherwise though, heh) but there is definitely a lot to enjoy - my only additional criticism is that there isn't much guitar and what's there is low in the mix.

And that's where my Genesis catalogue ends - I've heard the other albums and although I may like a track or two, I'll never buy them - just not enough of the old magic left (arguable again, especially after millions of sales, lol).

And I hated "Mama", lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back