Generation change at headfi?
Aug 15, 2008 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

nickchen

Headphoneus Supremus
Is it just me, but I have the impression that lots of elder 6000+ silverbacks from 2004 or earlier have left this forum in the course of the last months.

Aug 15, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #2 of 72
This forum has definitely changed a lot since I first joined. Mainly, the number of users and the amount of knowledge here has just exploded. Maybe some members just don't see the reason to post here anymore.

I think you're right, though. I see a lot more high school-age and college-age people here than before. I think I was still in high school when I joined here and was one of probably 10-15 other (max) actively posting high-schoolers. Take that as a perspective.

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #5 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Mainly, the number of users and the amount of knowledge here has just exploded...

I disagree. If anything it's declined and there are more individuals who are recommending gear that have either never heard or have a somewhat "un-informed" opinion.

I really take things with a grain of salt now when I see a particular piece of gear here... especially if you take into consideration the FOTM...

A lot of the good regulars as well as the ones that have real good knowledge have left. Sad...

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #6 of 72
Its definitely different, even from my short membership up here. However if you have build some contacts up here, you always can send an e-mail to the person, instead of posting a thread and that's what happened, I think...

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #7 of 72
It's turned from a more private club into a more public club bringing along all the pros and cons, but it's still the best big forum I know. Recent changes like the high-end forum or soon-to-come sceptics/empiricist/positivist/whatever forum are very nice (albeit somewhat overdue) additions to the site. Right now, I confer myself to the member's lounge, high end forum and music forum, and the experience isn't really worse than it has been say 4 years ago. Now, I don't know how it was 6 or even 8 years ago, but probably a similar change as it was from 2004 to now. A lot of people have left but a lot of people with knowledge have also joined, so it kind of evens out.

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #8 of 72
Some of us "silverbacks from 2004 or earlier" are still left.
smily_headphones1.gif

But its true that there are far between us than some months back. probably because of a least two reasons:
* They have found their "nirvana" and have no need for Head-Fi anymore.
* They have gotten tired of the general tone and development of the forum. It has changed from a serious forum where well informed members discussed mid-/high-fi headphones, to a forum where newbies bash around asking all these "What is the BEST iPod 'phone for $50", "What is the BEST mp3 player", "BEST whatever..." threads.

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #9 of 72
I joined recently...i joined basically to learn than to teach.

I also noticed that the newer posts are all done by younger members.

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #10 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some of us "silverbacks from 2004 or earlier" are still left.
smily_headphones1.gif

But its true that there are far between us than some months back. probably because of a least two reasons:
* They have found their "nirvana" and have no need for Head-Fi anymore.
* They have gotten tired of the general tone and development of the forum. It has changed from a serious forum where well informed members discussed mid-/high-fi headphones, to a forum where newbies bash around asking all these "What is the BEST iPod 'phone for $50", "What is the BEST mp3 player", "BEST whatever..." threads.

This makes a lot of sense. I know a lot of old members have moved on to other forums like stevehoffman.tv.

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #11 of 72
I personally still regard the german forum as my primary place (it's cosier, less highschoolish and more earthed), but I also like headfi for its greater spontaneousity. And it keeps my English skills alive.
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #12 of 72
Quote:

Hasn't it always been like that?

Some get tired of the headphone game, which has the side effect of them not being knowledge about new equipment. Once that happened you're much useless other than in the Member's/Gear Lounge. Others just aren't fond of the membership/administration, you'd be surprised how many senior members I've seen purposely leave or get banned.

Personally, this is the only site I actively post. And although it seems all I do is make stupid comments, I used to help out a lot in the main area. Well, "help" as arguing about stupid stuff as well as giving advice. And I was also known as a very confrontational person, particularly when I encountered someone I didn't like. (Usually they were people no one else liked either) One day I just got tired of it all. It's less of a headache to be laid back and post about pretzels.

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #13 of 72
Yes things seem to have changed- instead of talking about the qualities and intricate details of the gear there’s more threads questioning whether headphones, amps etc are worth the money. Whether some ones product line is over priced.

For me there seems to be less detailed analysis of the products in question. Like the convoluted threads about- What is High-End. Instead of discussing the High-End.

Mitch

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #14 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hasn't it always been like that?

More or less, probably.
But I can't remember seeing so many of those threads some 2-4 years back, as I do today.
Times changes I guess, with the iPod's and other DAP's getting more and more popular and affordable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back