General Question about er4p-s
Aug 21, 2008 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

apotek

Head-Fier
Hello;
I haven't been here for a very long time. And I see that there are tons of new IEM's out there. I have been using my old ety's (with the upgraded cable)for the last 6 years. So I was wondering what's new in the IEM world??whats out there that better then my ety's, should I finally give up on them and look for something new??Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with them, and they sound fantastic. But seriosly I feel like they are little obsolete these days when compared to IEM's with several drivers in them.

So please let me know what you think about what's out there??

Aug 22, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #3 of 22
After having tried and owned E4C, M5, TFP10 none of them have been able to oust my ER4 (now with APS cable). Have had ER4 on and off for about 7 years

Aug 22, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 22
so looks like nothing changed othe then having more options to buy diffirent brands. I have to say this, I think Etymotic is one of the best audio company out there. Couple of years ago I broke the tube on left side. It was totally my fault, and obviously I was out of warranty. When I called etymotics to get it repaired, I asked them how much would it cost me and the lady over the phone told me that they would fix it for free and they did it. Such a nice way to opperate bussines, thats why I would always buy ety products without hasitation.

Aug 22, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #5 of 22
If you still love the Etys but feel the need to upgrade how about going the same route as nc8000 & upgrading the cable.

Its a great way to add to the sound you already love.

Aug 22, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #6 of 22
what options do I have with cable upgrades???and where can I find them??I really don't like DIY stuff, don't have much time for it...

Aug 22, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #7 of 22
you pay them money, send them your stuff, and they send it back. Only DIY is the sending,receiving, and of course the paying
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by apotek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what options do I have with cable upgrades???and where can I find them??

You have one option. APureSound.

Aug 23, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #9 of 22
how much is it and how much of a improvement we are talking about here??

Aug 23, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have one option. APureSound.

lies, you have DIY!

Aug 23, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #11 of 22
And considering that nowadays most of the high end earphones are getting warmer you're probably not going to find a competition to the Ers when it comes to cold, sterile, transparent sound.

Aug 23, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by apotek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how much is it and how much of a improvement we are talking about here??

Depending on the length of the cable you are looking at around $200. To me it does not give $200 worth of improvement in the sound but factor in the improved ergonomics (you get rid of the lump on the cable as the resistors are in the jack), you about half the depth of the phone so it's a lot smaller in the ear (I can lie on my side on a soft pillow with them in with no discomfort), you get a slight memory wire effect (so can put them in in complete darkness) then to me it is worth it if you love the sound of the original ER4 enough to want to squeze every last bit of improvement out of them. Also a lot of work goes into making one of these cables and time is money.

151212.jpg

151213.jpg

151214.jpg

You can get them with your choice of resistance and straight or right angle plugs. I have both a S and a P cable and love both, the S when amped and the P straight out of my iPhone 3G

Aug 23, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #13 of 22
Like I said before I am not good with DIY stuff, plus 200 dollars for cable upgrade sounds little too much, I mean the er4's goes for less then that these days. I spend about 110 to my zumobious cable for my k271 and I didn't find enough improvment on the SQ. as far as etys comfort level I am totally fine the way it is. My ear canals are somehow large so it goes all the way in without hurting, I could easly sleep with them.

But my main question would be, since I started this treat it came to my mind, how much do I love Ety's??Besides er-4's I had only shure e2, so I didn't have any experiance with any other high-end IE phones. And all these years I never questioned that because what I had was fantastic to me, but what if there is a phone that I would like better??

Aug 25, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #14 of 22
Yes that's a hard question. I had the Tripple.fi for a while and if they hadn't been so uncomfortbale I might actually have kept them in place of my Ety's. They do most of what the Ety's do so well and then they add a totally new meaning to bass in an iem.

Aug 25, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #15 of 22
lately I see that shure's discountine model E5c being sold for $250, (it was around $550 at the time they intoduced it), I was wondering if they are worth the money so I did some research at the forum, I had to go back all the way to 2004 to find some reviews, sounds like they are better then ety's but that's a whole new argument
smily_headphones1.gif
))

this thing is a sickness as we all know..and there is no cure for it..I don't think there will ever be a can or speaker that will sound "Perfect"...we all gonna die while searching for the ultimate best sound
smily_headphones1.gif
)))))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back