General headphone cable burn-in question
Sep 16, 2012 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Windsor

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi there -

For my Sennheiser HD600 headphone, I recently bought a new stock HD600 cable which now has a been used to listen to music for around twenty hours. I would like to burn-in the cable some more and wonder if just plugging the HD 600 cable into the headphone socket of my DAC/Amp whilst playing music from iTunes would work effectively to burn-in the cable.

I would appreciate if anyone can comment from experience on the effectiveness of what I am suggesting i.e. would burning in the cable in the way I suggest work?

Many thanks,
Windsor

Sep 16, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
Hi there -
For my Sennheiser HD600 headphone, I recently bought a new stock HD600 cable which now has a been used to listen to music for around twenty hours. I would like to burn-in the cable some more and wonder if just plugging the HD 600 cable into the headphone socket of my DAC/Amp whilst playing music from iTunes would work effectively to burn-in the cable.
I would appreciate if anyone can comment from experience on the effectiveness of what I am suggesting i.e. would burning in the cable in the way I suggest work?
Many thanks,
Windsor

Maybe this is a stupid question on my part, but what exactly would you think could "burn-in" within a cable?

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 9
Don't run that cable unterminated - if those ends contact each other or anything that shorts/contacts them you will blow the amplifier up!

If you subscribe to burn-in (which is your own choice/experience/etc), do it with the headphones attached to the cable. In theory you could use a resistor rig but why waste the time to build it - just hook the HD 600s up and run it. Will prevent any damage risk.

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
Don't run that cable unterminated - if those ends contact each other or anything that shorts/contacts them you will blow the amplifier up!
If you subscribe to burn-in (which is your own choice/experience/etc), do it with the headphones attached to the cable. In theory you could use a resistor rig but why waste the time to build it - just hook the HD 600s up and run it. Will prevent any damage risk.

Thanks for the warning and the common sense response! :)

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
Maybe this is a stupid question on my part, but what exactly would you think could "burn-in" within a cable?

Hi there -

Briefly, burn-in refers to equipment changing sound as it is used. Some believe it to be true and some don't. 

With the cable, I am open to the possibility that the sound could open up some more after it is used more. I have experienced head-fi equipment changing in sound as it is used.

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Hi there -

Briefly, burn-in refers to equipment changing sound as it is used. Some believe it to be true and some don't. 

With the cable, I am open to the possibility that the sound could open up some more after it is used more. I have experienced head-fi equipment changing in sound as it is used.

Thanks.  I understand that some things may or may not burn in, but those typically are dealing with moving parts.  For a cable, I just don't understand what component could change in any way.  I could deff just be naive on this topic.  I will be interested to know if you hear a diff, best of luck.

Sep 18, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for the warning and the common sense response! :)

Another thing I thought of after posting that - if you just ran the wire "open" like that, no current will pass across it (okay a VERY small amount will, because it has some resistance (all wire does, it's always a very very small value though, so we can basically say none)), so it won't actually be carrying any sort of "signal." Again, I'd just do this with the headphones attached for safety and convenience, but a dummy load could also be used; I'll leave the debate about perception for others who feel like talking about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back