General Consensus DT880 600Ω Burn In Time?
Nov 14, 2012 at 8:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TunneLVisioN42

100+ Head-Fier
The recent 50+ flagship review inspired me to finally check out the DT 880, in the past I owned a pair of HD 650's and liked them but ended up having to part with them, I for the time being needed something decent to tide me over so I ended up getting some ATH-AD700's, I absolutely hate the design and the fact that it does not have much grip on your head because it always felt like they were going to fall off.

After burn in they sounded quite pleasant for the price though, people had criticized it for being quite anemic on the lower spectrum of things and that was quite right but the overall sound was very impressive and clear, although it did have slightly forward highs they were very very smooth, I just could not take the fit anymore (NO clamping force) and I have always really wanted a good pair of Beyer's, I got them about 10 hours ago and they fit and look wonderful.

I have been burning them in for about 5 hours? NOT nearly enough I am sure but I just could not resist taking a peak at how they sound, I was quite surprised although I realize they only have 5 hours on them the amount of hiss and harshness kind of surprised me, I am not currently using the best DAC in the world but they are being amped through a JDS labs Objective 2 a little bit past the 50% mark on the volume knob with the gain on, I told myself I would not take a peak at the sound until they had at least 24 or so hours on them but now I am little worried.

I prefer a slightly bright headphone and I knew the DT 880 was slightly bright, although I did not think they would be so sibilant, its like worlds apart from the ATH-AD700, so I just wanna know what the general consensus is from owners of the DT 880 how long I should wait so I can start criticizing and comparing them appropriately, also does the sibilance start to fade and ease up? or is it just part of the Beyer sound (Maybe I am just more sensitive to it?)

(Mostly listened to some Foo Fighters and easy going liquid DnB stuff)

Nov 14, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #2 of 6
Heya,

First, turn gain off.

Second, they'll sound the same in a week as they do now. But that's a whole can of worms waiting to bust open, again, and again.

Third, start looking for different music/tracks to test. A lot of hiss/noise floor and harshness is often the recording itself. Sample some stuff at HDtracks.com for example.

Beyers are slightly bright, but I never found the DT880 to be overly sibilant or harsh, simply a little bright.

It also has to do with the synergy that you've matched up with the O2 amp, which is very neutral and a good amp, but you'll find most folk who really live with the DT880 generally mix it with a warm tube amp.

I would suggest you listen to your DT880 from the moment you have it to the end, burn in isn't going to change what you're hearing unless you want it to.

Very best,

Nov 14, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #3 of 6
At first I thought my gain was needed because a quick look at the volume knob showed it was almost 100% and it was not loud enough, but after turning gain off and going to 100% is a little high actually so i sit at about 90% so I am doing okay without gain like you suggested.

Do you really think burn-in has no effect? I have owned a pair of K702's before and I am quite sure the difference I experienced was not placebo but I am not trying to evoke a debate over this I am just curious.

As for the tracks, I am listening to only FLAC or WAV I understand that does not make all recordings equal though it just seems like the harshness is more pronounced than expected, I would be surprised if it was the tracks as I have not had them sound this harsh on anything I have owned, everything is also being played back through WASAPI Exclusive on Foobar, do you have any suggestions of what you listen to for analytical purposes so I can be positive that my issues are not from the recording?

I am aware a tube amp would probably help but I am not that "head-fi" yet as my wallet has not gained a mind of its own yet 
tongue.gif
 its not so much a hobby as I don't mind spending a little extra to appreciate the best sound I can get for the buck and the O2 schematics seems to target just that.

Thanks for your input!

Jun 14, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
At first I thought my gain was needed because a quick look at the volume knob showed it was almost 100% and it was not loud enough, but after turning gain off and going to 100% is a little high actually so i sit at about 90% so I am doing okay without gain like you suggested.

Do you really think burn-in has no effect? I have owned a pair of K702's before and I am quite sure the difference I experienced was not placebo but I am not trying to evoke a debate over this I am just curious.

As for the tracks, I am listening to only FLAC or WAV I understand that does not make all recordings equal though it just seems like the harshness is more pronounced than expected, I would be surprised if it was the tracks as I have not had them sound this harsh on anything I have owned, everything is also being played back through WASAPI Exclusive on Foobar, do you have any suggestions of what you listen to for analytical purposes so I can be positive that my issues are not from the recording?

I am aware a tube amp would probably help but I am not that "head-fi" yet as my wallet has not gained a mind of its own yet 
tongue.gif
 its not so much a hobby as I don't mind spending a little extra to appreciate the best sound I can get for the buck and the O2 schematics seems to target just that.

Thanks for your input!

Hey I'm in the same position you were,
I'm trying to loosen them up a bit with some noise (have around 40 hours) but I'm quite unimpressed with their sound sig, I've read a few reviews were people say after a few (100+) hours the mids and bass become more prominent and I did notice a dramatic change with my K702's (which I still have) but presently the DT880's don't compete with my K702's did yours change at all?
The mids feel scooped out and the treble has a rough texture.

Jun 14, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
I've never heard the DT880, but from what people say and FR measurements, it seems that's exactly how the 880s are supposed to sound (vs the K70xs).

Oh, well there ya go, thanks for your insight.  Hopefully it isn't the case though, haha I'm hoping TunneLVisioN42 can chime and confirm/deny the sound differences.  Some people have said that the bass and mids become a lot more present after the burn-in period which is what I'm hoping

Users who are viewing this thread

Back