Gemini HSR-1000 or Superlux HD668B?
Jun 14, 2015 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Music Alchemist

Pokémon trainer of headphones
I bought some pretty expensive headphones in the past, but here I am again looking for an affordable pair for the near future. I noticed that the Gemini HSR-1000 and Superlux HD668B are both available from Amazon for around $44, with free shipping too.

To those who have heard both, which do you think is better and/or more accurate?

Any details on the differences between these two headphones are appreciated, especially if you listen to most genres like I do.

Also, if you know of an alternate headphone for $44 or less that sounds even better to you, feel free to share.

Jun 14, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 10
I have only listened to the Gemini's, but they are great for the price. I love them because of their comfort; I've listened for 6+ hours at a time and forgotten I had them on.

Jun 14, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 10
The Gemini is often compared to the M50. I know you don't like that headphone, but often in comparisons people tend to prefer the Gemini. 

Superlux headphones in general have a rep for having really pronounced highs. 

Personally I think I would go for something like the Gemini cause I think I would enjoy the more DJ centric V shaped sound. 

Jun 15, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #4 of 10
My love my hsr 1000

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 10
  The Gemini is often compared to the M50. I know you don't like that headphone, but often in comparisons people tend to prefer the Gemini. 

Superlux headphones in general have a rep for having really pronounced highs. 

Personally I think I would go for something like the Gemini cause I think I would enjoy the more DJ centric V shaped sound. 

Hrm. Yeah, since I'm so picky, it's a tough decision without hearing them first. I hate harsh highs and also hate muddy sound. The Gemini may be a safer choice...if I end up buying either one, that is. My situation is constantly changing. One week I might be getting cheap headphones; the next week or two, multiple expensive ones. lol

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 10
Yeah, can't go wrong with the HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80)
You can add the HM5 Pads in the future if you want.

The Takstar HI-2050 is the semi open version, great headphone as well.

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 10
  Yeah, can't go wrong with the HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80)
You can add the HM5 Pads in the future if you want.

The Takstar HI-2050 is the semi open version, great headphone as well.

I was going to buy one of those two headphones with the money from selling a headphone, but I'm actually now trading three headphones for an Ultrasone HFI 780. Won't even have any headphones while waiting for it. lol

Since they're so cheap, I may buy both the Superlux and Gemini in the future, just to be able to hear them.

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #8 of 10

I was going to buy one of those two headphones with the money from selling a headphone, but I'm actually now trading three headphones for an Ultrasone HFI 780. Won't even have any headphones while waiting for it. lol

Since they're so cheap, I may buy both the Superlux and Gemini in the future, just to be able to hear them.

Well, I think I could live with my Hi-2050. It's very good with well recorded music, not that great for some EDM, mainstream and so.
The closed back version is better for those genres.

Haven't tried an Ultrasone headphone yet, they look tricky on paper (measurements), so I'm still running away from them.

Based on measurements the HSR-1000 is significantly more neutral than HFI-780.

What kind of music do you normally listen to?

Jun 15, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #9 of 10
  Well, I think I could live with my Hi-2050. It's very good with well recorded music, not that great for some EDM, mainstream and so.
The closed back version is better for those genres.

Haven't tried an Ultrasone headphone yet, they look tricky on paper (measurements), so I'm still running away from them.

Based on measurements the HSR-1000 is significantly more neutral than HFI-780.

What kind of music do you normally listen to?

I listen to everything, but mostly metal, electronic, and orchestral stuff. The more headphones I hear, the less I care about measurements. I've heard plenty of colored headphones that sound much better than somewhat neutral headphones, and vice versa. There's so much more to sound than what measurements indicate. The only time I demand absolute accuracy is when spending thousands of dollars on a headphone. Otherwise, I just buy stuff, listen, and see how I like it.

Jun 16, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #10 of 10
I listen to everything, but mostly metal, electronic, and orchestral stuff. The more headphones I hear, the less I care about measurements. I've heard plenty of colored headphones that sound much better than somewhat neutral headphones, and vice versa. There's so much more to sound than what measurements indicate. The only time I demand absolute accuracy is when spending thousands of dollars on a headphone. Otherwise, I just buy stuff, listen, and see how I like it.

I listen to mainly edm and Pop the hsr 1000 are great with good bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back