Geek Wold Discussion
Aug 4, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #601 of 1,619
If I have an LZ A7, do I need to buy a gk10? In a7, I lack weight and musicality, very sterile. I use it with e1da s3.
GK10 is not quite close to A7 in its technical abilities IMO. For me A7 only lacking some energy in upper treeble, but for the rest of the frequency range it's almost perfect.
On the other hand GK10 has more emphasized air region but the rest of it, lets say, is just not very good.
Maybe it's just my example, but that midbass bump makes me fatigue very quickly..
I just end up with the idea that EQ-ing the A7 is the way to go.

Aug 4, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #602 of 1,619
Thank you for your review! I have a few pairs of KZ Whirlwinds so I will keep your recommendation in mind! I recall you responding to my impressions of the MT300 on another thread - those IEMs come with a slew of wide bore tips, have you tried any on the GK10?

Actually, the ones I'm using are similar to the picture below. They seem to sound best with my GK10. The sleeves snap onto to the nozzle perfectly.

Red ear tips.jpg

For everyone else, "wide-bore" ear tips are the way to go...

You can get them at the link below.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000645788328.html

-Clear

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #603 of 1,619
Apologies for the sudden question, but do you happen to have the GK10? I have an unopened LG V20 I'm hesitant to use just yet because the Zishan Z4 is available for a similar price I bought the V20 for and I'm debating if balanced output for running some IEMs that like the juice is worth giving up the convenience of having a replaceable battery, Soundcloud and other neat apps available for Android. Out of curiousity, it seems based on impressions here that the GK10 appreciates more power, say, by running through balanced output, but can the V20 tell so (because I've heard the DAC can automatically adjust the power it provides according to the impedance of the headphones if I understand correctly)?
The LG v20 can power the GK10 very well, sounds good! Both my v20 and v60 are capable of quad dac mode while the GK10 is plugged in. Also, the BTR5 powers these phones fine, even in single pole (3.5mm) output. They can sound better through the DX160 balanced output, but I wouldn't say they require the extra power to sound good. Balanced output is always going to have better s/n separation and generally better imaging just by having no common ground.

Aug 4, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #604 of 1,619
If I have an LZ A7, do I need to buy a gk10? In a7, I lack weight and musicality, very sterile. I use it with e1da s3.
I have A7 too, and like them both. I do find the GK10 more musical and a bit less sterile, but it's still a very detailed rendering. GK10 is also more confortable for longer listening sessions (my ears are smallish) to me. Still think a7 is a great one, but for the price, GK10 is amazing.
(Edit, to add) I do not hear a mid-bass bump or tuning on my GK10 at all.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #606 of 1,619
The LG v20 can power the GK10 very well, sounds good! Both my v20 and v60 are capable of quad dac mode while the GK10 is plugged in. Also, the BTR5 powers these phones fine, even in single pole (3.5mm) output. They can sound better through the DX160 balanced output, but I wouldn't say they require the extra power to sound good. Balanced output is always going to have better s/n separation and generally better imaging just by having no common ground.
A very informative response, thank you so much! I do have a HiBy FD1 DAC/amp if I really want to go balanced (...wouldn't that kinda make having the V20's quad DAC moot? lol) but seeing that the GK10 plays well with the V20 on their own is great! Argh, the temptation of opening the V20's package... >:C

Aug 5, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #607 of 1,619
Received my GK10 today from Penon; prompt shipping process since I ordered it the last week in July. Green hued wood grain appearance (did not specify a color when purchasing) which is quite nice. Initiated the listening experience with some Motown and R&B/Soul and was very pleased with the results. Using SednaEarfit Xelastic eartips for a comfortable fit.
Thank you Dsnuts for the introduction to this wonderful product.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #608 of 1,619
Apologies for the sudden question, but do you happen to have the GK10? I have an unopened LG V20 I'm hesitant to use just yet because the Zishan Z4 is available for a similar price I bought the V20 for and I'm debating if balanced output for running some IEMs that like the juice is worth giving up the convenience of having a replaceable battery, Soundcloud and other neat apps available for Android. Out of curiousity, it seems based on impressions here that the GK10 appreciates more power, say, by running through balanced output, but can the V20 tell so (because I've heard the DAC can automatically adjust the power it provides according to the impedance of the headphones if I understand correctly)?
I don't have GK10 (yet..., highly considering it but haven't pull the trigger yet)...
But I saw FSTOP already answer it for you.. :)

LGV20 sounds colored (warm and bassy, with the warmth affect the low mids)... so sometimes this would not match certain phones...
in HiFi (Quad DAC) modes (normal, external, high) which also impact on the gain (3 levels). In high it is quite powerful for single ended hardware; it could drive my Audeze Sine headphone (though being bassy is not a good match for the phones).

the problem is there's no way we could set the mode from the app or phone. We have to trick the phone with additional cable and/or dummy load. Pls check on the LG V20 thread....

Aug 5, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #609 of 1,619
I don't have GK10 (yet..., highly considering it but haven't pull the trigger yet)...
But I saw FSTOP already answer it for you.. :)

LGV20 sounds colored (warm and bassy, with the warmth affect the low mids)... so sometimes this would not match certain phones...
in HiFi (Quad DAC) modes (normal, external, high) which also impact on the gain (3 levels). In high it is quite powerful for single ended hardware; it could drive my Audeze Sine headphone (though being bassy is not a good match for the phones).

the problem is there's no way we could set the mode from the app or phone. We have to trick the phone with additional cable and/or dummy load. Pls check on the LG V20 thread....
Thank you very much for the response and insight also! Yeah, I've read the V20 is very powerful for being unbalanced if you have the right headphones to trigger that power, but so long as it can power the GK10 well enough that's great for my case... and on that topic, yeah I do also recall reading something about forcing a change in the mode depending on what equipment you plug in, I'll definitely check the V20 thread for more details out of curiousity :)

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #610 of 1,619
I want to try more IEMs and really understand if IEMs could work for me (I want something isolating in addition to my open-back cans and there's a lot more IEMs around than closed-back cans), so I decided to pre-order these from Penon Audio. The page wasn't clear when I should expect them to ship it, but I hope it's relatively soon.

Curious to hear how these sound compared to my Blon BL-03 (pretty enjoyable but nothing mindblowing) and Fiio FH3 (nope, hate them).

Aug 5, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #611 of 1,619
I want to try more IEMs and really understand if IEMs could work for me (I want something isolating in addition to my open-back cans and there's a lot more IEMs around than closed-back cans), so I decided to pre-order these from Penon Audio. The page wasn't clear when I should expect them to ship it, but I hope it's relatively soon.

Curious to hear how these sound compared to my Blon BL-03 (pretty enjoyable but nothing mindblowing) and Fiio FH3 (nope, hate them).

I prefer them over the BL-03 on the basis of technicalities and also tuning. The GK10 is tuned differently though, so it's more to do with preference. Out of interest, what are you hearing in the FH3 that you hate?

Aug 5, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #612 of 1,619
Out of interest, what are you hearing in the FH3 that you hate?
Maybe hate was too strong a word, but it's not really something I've been able to put into words. I guess they just sound dull and cold and lifeless? Feels like the music is presented very matter-of-factly, which doesn't vibe with me at all cause I'm not an analytical listener at all. If the Blons are a generic and unimaginative but ultimately enjoyable enough fantasy novel, the FH3 is your math homework.

And yeah, I didn't order the GK10s with any expectation that they'd be similar to the Blons or even something I'd necessarily enjoy tonally, but I suppose that's partially the point. Trying to branch out a bit, see what the IEM world has to offer. I love the idea of IEMs - portable, small, incredibly comfortable if done well etc. - so it'd be super if I could really get into them too.

Aug 5, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #613 of 1,619
Maybe hate was too strong a word, but it's not really something I've been able to put into words. I guess they just sound dull and cold and lifeless? Feels like the music is presented very matter-of-factly, which doesn't vibe with me at all cause I'm not an analytical listener at all. If the Blons are a generic and unimaginative but ultimately enjoyable enough fantasy novel, the FH3 is your math homework.

And yeah, I didn't order the GK10s with any expectation that they'd be similar to the Blons or even something I'd necessarily enjoy tonally, but I suppose that's partially the point. Trying to branch out a bit, see what the IEM world has to offer. I love the idea of IEMs - portable, small, incredibly comfortable if done well etc. - so it'd be super if I could really get into them too.

Well, I'd say the balance with GK leans towards the technical but the DDs are quite expressive and theres a nice emotive impact and presence to the bass. I hope it works out for you, they're definitely the most comfortable IEM I own. Keep us updated on how it goes!

Aug 5, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #614 of 1,619

I am a real fan of the Blon 03. I have two pairs of them and amazing performance to price ratio. Just as the Blon 03's are a groundbeaking IEM for the cost, the Geek Wold GK10 is even more so. One of the most coherent IEMs I have heard.....up to £500. Tuned superbly. Shell though is Mickey Mouse (kinda cute though) and it needs a cable and tip upgrade to really excel. For some this will be their end-game IEM. Hard to fathom how a $45 IEM can be THAT good.

Aug 5, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #615 of 1,619

Alternatively, you could try the Moondrop Aria which can easily be reversibly tweaked to suit your own sound preferences due to its default tuning, technical prowess and modding potential (tips, filter and cables) :grin::thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back