Geek Wold Discussion
Dec 3, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #1,231 of 1,619
"Feel the air" or "Feel the room" would be a great slogan for the GK10. I just came back to it after 6 weeks of burning in a few other IEMs in the $40 -$80 bracket. I've enjoyed all the new lot I picked up, but the GK10 still has something special in its openness and presentation.

I've just tried it today with two of the CS/CX Pro Audio dongles: CS-43131 and CX-31933. Both paired extremely well with the GK10. (Running Deadbeef player on MacMini)

Jan 10, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #1,232 of 1,619
OK folks. Been a long time waiting but something new is in the works and I do have a finalized unit I got over the weekend. Will post some pics tonight.

Uses an 8mm Titanium composite diaphragm for low-mids, Single BA for treble, Dual Piezos for ultra highs. And before you ask it is using the same housing as the GK10. But with a new carbon fiber motif. Beyond the housing. Yes I do consider these an upgrade on the old GK10. Will be called the GK80. Look for my pics later tonight.

The diffrence? These GK80 is mostly a dynamic since it is the Titanium dynamic that is used for the bass and mids. Dynamic timbre and mids sound fantastic. Compared to the older GK10. Thicker fuller sound. I can hear an increase of lower mids vs the GK10. Nice clarity, It has a fun detailed bass end. Stage sounds more expansive vs the GK10. Easier to drive, seems a bit more sensitive vs the GK10. Will post a pic later on tonight.

Jan 10, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #1,233 of 1,619
Thicker fuller sound. I can hear an increase of lower mids vs the GK10.

I hope it hasn't got too much in the low end and I really want them to knock it out of the park QC-wise so we know there's a standard across the board.

Looking forward to the pictures and also excited for a FR just to whet the appetite. :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #1,235 of 1,619
I believe RP will be at $45 for the GK80. Got word it is in final production will be on Penon site soon. Will see if I can get a hold of the Fr.
What happened?? Didn't turn out well enough to be the GK100 so it is only the GK80. :smile:

Jan 10, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #1,237 of 1,619
DSC09396.JPG
DSC09397.JPG
GK80 playing out of my DX300Max. These take to amping like a champ. Though the bad news on the package is that your not getting this SPC cable which is what came with the GK10. It is just a standard thin copper variety this time. But for folks that have this cable hey. It is easy as swapping it out. I kinda like the all black carbon fiber look on the plate.

Jan 10, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #1,238 of 1,619

GK80 playing out of my DX300Max. These take to amping like a champ. Though the bad news on the package is that your not getting this SPC cable which is what came with the GK10. It is just a standard thin copper variety this time. But for folks that have this cable hey. It is easy as swapping it out. I kinda like the all black carbon fiber look on the plate.
Thank you for the pictures! I agree about the faceplates - very elegant design, moreso than the GK10 imo. Reminds me of the KBEAR Opal! Nice to know that this, like the GK10, will really benefit from amping (and therefore balanced output)! What about the sound improves this way, if I may ask?

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #1,239 of 1,619
DSC09396.JPG
DSC09397.JPG
The black carbon fiber looks sweet!!! :point_left::yum:

-Clear

Jan 10, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #1,240 of 1,619
Thank you for the pictures! I agree about the faceplates - very elegant design, moreso than the GK10 imo. Reminds me of the KBEAR Opal! Nice to know that this, like the GK10, will really benefit from amping (and therefore balanced output)! What about the sound improves this way, if I may ask?
I threw on a cheaper balanced cable on and yes. Since the bass and mids are handled by a powerful Titanium plated composite dynamic. Sound expands more so and throws out greater stage, better depth, better dynamics, better spaciousness in general with more authoritative bass.

I think for folks that are GK10 fans the GK80 will be a no brainer. I do believe the GK10 will be discontinued after this release. And get your best cables and sources ready. These are very musical sounding and I think these will be more of a fan service for folks that are Geek fans.

The surprising aspect of the GK80 is that it improves not only the mids presence from the GK10 but also the cohesion between drivers. It does help that the main driver being used is a good one on here. Its treble and piezo upper treble is blended well with the main driver. Even better than the GK10. You guys have a new Geek phone to look forward to.

Jan 11, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #1,241 of 1,619

Looking good!

Jan 11, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #1,242 of 1,619
Looks good.
My new years resolution was to not buy side grade iems in 2022.
Let's see how long that lasts!

Jan 11, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #1,243 of 1,619
@Dsnuts wrote: "8mm Titanium composite diaphragm for low-mids"

Perhaps I've misread, but is there still a 10mm unit on the bottom end? I think most of the problems on GK10 stemmed from poor tuning on ye olden IEM anchor's midbass. The titanium unit sounds like a welcome improvement. Does GK80 seem as tip sensitive as the GK10?

At least for my pair, GK10 is still a bloated mess on it's bottom end. A significant amount of EQ tinkering was required to get the most out of it. When it's dialed in, it does indeed make a very beautiful sound. But it takes patience to reveal it, and most of the required work are precision cuts in dB from bass and midbass particularly to give the the full range of the mids and the treble adequate space to breathe.

Jan 11, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #1,245 of 1,619
Perhaps I've misread, but is there still a 10mm unit on the bottom end?

I believe its a single 8mm DD for lows and mids. I imagine things will sound tighter but I have a feeling they will lean heavily into a midbass tuning which might upset some.

Personally, I'm looking forward to just seeing what this next outing brings. I don't think it will be the revolution we want but that doesn't mean it won't be worth the price of entry or not be enjoyable (provided QC is all good).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back