Geek Wave: Limited Time Indiegogo Only Pricing
Feb 23, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #152 of 163
The Walkman was "the original portable music player"

I think he meant "digital" music player. Even then, not original but I think we all know what he's getting at.
It is a shame. Now ALAC is open source, I'd love apple to make a simple iPod update, 24/192 capable, optical out n maybe their own tweek on DSD, but still keeping their wonderful UI. Be very interesting to see how it would sell,..

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #154 of 163
I understand nothing about this "crow funding" stuff !  

HOW CAN I JUST BUY ONE UNIT ?? when will they ship it ? 
confused.gif

confused.gif

and can we still have the version with Digital-out ? 

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #156 of 163
Bottom line is that no DAP being sold today can hold a candle to an iPod/iPhone/Android attached to a good DAC/amp. With the majority of the designs you're trading in functionality for form-factor... Sure, you're not rubber-strapping anything together or worrying about camera connection kits, but you're losing streaming... Streaming is huge, and with Tidal now on the scene, is a must-have feature. I get that some people won't listen ALAC/AFLAC/44.1, demanding only pure 24/192, DSD etc... But what happens when that's available via streaming in the next few years? And for most people, 44.1 is going to great anyway... I'll take rubber-banding an iPod Touch to a separate DAC/Amp device over a shiny all-integrated unit any day, if it means that anytime I hear something catchy I can instantly look it up and hear it in lossless format...

I know there are a few Android based DAPs on the market that support browsing and apps... That's the future. If I had to go with a DAP, I wouldn't consider anything else...

Agreed. That's the way to go. And Android based - with the ability to root/change the ROM is ideal. 

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #157 of 163
Android based players with the ability to stream sounds great but you gotta remmeber that not everywhere in the world can stream or for that matter..has the media rights to be heard. Where I am, its pretty common to try to see or hear something only to come up to a "your country is not authorized to view this content" or some variant. I could offer them solid gold bars to stream here and they would not because we are not in the right zone... so because of some laws about an invisible line that exist in some peoples minds, this option is not viable for anyone in my position..and there are billions of us. So we will end up buying the memory card based audio devices and the standard cd, do our conversions and listen that way...

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #158 of 163
  Android based players with the ability to stream sounds great but you gotta remmeber that not everywhere in the world can stream or for that matter..has the media rights to be heard. Where I am, its pretty common to try to see or hear something only to come up to a "your country is not authorized to view this content" or some variant. I could offer them solid gold bars to stream here and they would not because we are not in the right zone... so because of some laws about an invisible line that exist in some peoples minds, this option is not viable for anyone in my position..and there are billions of us. So we will end up buying the memory card based audio devices and the standard cd, do our conversions and listen that way...

I hear you. But you can stream off of your own server. Either SAMBA or in the cloud with Sonic or similar. That's what I do. I don't have the patience to load 64Gb at a time of music onto my Android device. And I like the ability to have all of my music just a few click or swipes away.

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #159 of 163
what type of material is the screen made of. How much power will that consume. Just curious.is the volume control on the screen or physical. Can I ask these questions? will it be available internationally as in KSA. I know of a FiiO authorized dealer but haven't seen anything from LH Labs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back