Geek was right. The RME digi96/8 PAD sucks.
Apr 12, 2004 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Edwood

1/2 hamster, 1/2 Turkish∙ Blueteething
Yes, after modding the RME digi96/8 PAD extensively and through several versions, Iron_Dreamer and I have concluded that the RME digi96/8 PAD does indeed have the high end distortion and artifacting problems that Geek ranted about.

BUT that was with the stock RME digi96/8 PAD.
biggrin.gif

Modding the RME PAD truly unlocks the potential of this card.

So far, the hands down absolute best mod is to bypass the analog output stage altogther. The best part is that this mod is the cheapest and easiest.

Iron_Dreamer and I confirmed this with quite a few songs. We had a stock RME PAD and Modded ones in the same computer. Through this A/B comparison we definitely heard the distortion Geek complained about. Especially with cymbals. This distortion and artifacting is probably the easiest to hear. The difference was not even subtle. With the Stock RME PAD, we could hear the nasty distortions in the cymbal strikes in Paganini's Concerto No.1 Op.6 - Allegro maestoso. The shimmer and decay of each individual cymbal strike was a sparkly mess.

But with the modded RME PAD, those cymbals were entirely different. Quick, tight, and clear. You could actually hear each individual "clap"of the cymbals stiking one another. And the funny part is that you realize that you are hearing in fact a single strike that fades nicely, rather than the sparkly distortion before.

So, Geek. If you have not already sold off your RME PAD, do yourself a favor and try this mod. The unbalanced version requires only two electrolytic capacitors and some solder.

The balanced version requires only four inches of hook up wire and solder. The easiest method where you want to use the two existing 1/4" TRS jacks, will eliminate the possibility of using analog inputs. But you want to hear music, right?

More comments and on going progress HERE.

-Ed

Apr 12, 2004 at 7:31 AM Post #2 of 27
Can you post pics or a diagram of the mods?

I can't believe you guys were living with that treble madness.

Now that it's gone is your K1000 a bit easier to listen to?

Apr 12, 2004 at 8:00 AM Post #6 of 27
So just out of curiosity Edwood, do you find that the Grace is now a rather pleasant amplifier? What I always found great about it was the ease that comes through and the very non-fatiguing sound and I know from your postings that you didn't find it that way with the K1000s previously.

Apr 12, 2004 at 8:07 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
So just out of curiosity Edwood, do you find that the Grace is now a rather pleasant amplifier? What I always found great about it was the ease that comes through and the very non-fatiguing sound and I know from your postings that you didn't find it that way with the K1000s previously.

Absolutely.

Even with the K1000's now. It's still pretty bright, but not nearly as harsh and fatiguing as before. I can really enjoy them now. (

I can't believe the distortion and artifacting I was getting used to. Just when I thought the veil was lifted when I first got the RME PAD, there was a big curtain there the whole time.
biggrin.gif

I know it still gets better from here, but it sounds so good, it may slow down my upgrading for now. Maybe.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Apr 12, 2004 at 8:09 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
Absolutely.

Fantastic! it always bothered me that your reports of the sound of the Grace were so much different than what I was hearing. I'm glad to hear that it has at last been explained!
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2004 at 5:52 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by pbirkett
<Stir mode>

Or you could get a Teratec EWX 24/96 and suffer none of those ills for $99....

</Stir mode>

wink.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

I guess I should compare the Teratec EWX 24/96 to a Modded RME digi96/8 PAD before jumping to any conclusions. Have you compared it to a Modded RME digi96/8 PAD?

-Ed

Apr 12, 2004 at 6:06 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
I guess I should compare the Teratec EWX 24/96 to a Modded RME digi96/8 PAD before jumping to any conclusions. Have you compared it to a Modded RME digi96/8 PAD?

-Ed

Nope, I was just winding you up
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2004 at 6:17 PM Post #12 of 27
Does the EWX sound like the revo? I think someone said in another thread that they both used the same envyht chip, though I suppose it doesn't mean that they would sound exactly the same.

Apr 12, 2004 at 7:08 PM Post #14 of 27
In all seriousness though, although I aint heard an RME in any form, I also have not heard any treble distortion / artifacts / harshness with the EWX. Its a testament to the card that even after the initial hype, and anti-climax that followed with the RME, that I have not wanted to change.

If I was going to upgrade from the EWX, I think I'd use it as a transport into a modded ART DIO, which apparenly uses similar DAC chippery to the EWX.

Apr 12, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by pbirkett

If I was going to upgrade from the EWX, I think I'd use it as a transport into a modded ART DIO, which apparenly uses similar DAC chippery to the EWX.

LOL Paul! DAC chippery! What a freakin' classic
biggrin.gif

Anyways, the moderately modded smART DI/O I used to have sounded much better than the M-Audio Delta 410 I had at the time, the smART had very powerful bass and dynamics, but was not as detailed or extended as the stock RME (treble funkiness issues aside). I'm pretty sure the bypassed DI/O would crush the smART, but maybe the more heavily modded units would compete better. Also BTW you could make it better by sticking a Monarchy DIP in there to redue jitter, and get the best PSU possible for the DI/O, the bybee modded Bolder PSU, which I heard with AC1's MENSA++ DI/O.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back