Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jan 22, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #12,841 of 13,800
So we should keep talking about how LH Labs has moved on from us to Tesla.

I assure you, this didn't happen. And I happen to know that for a 100% fact, because I'm directly involved in the Tesla sales and with their customers and I know what's going on in the program. Customers of the Tesla products are much in the same boat as the IGG campaigns. In some cases, possibly worse off. There are delays on both campaigns, and Tesla is not superceding the IGG development.

You're welcome to believe me or not. I'm back to work now.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #12,842 of 13,800
The fact that Larry Ho is paying out of pocket to finish the production runs of this stuff, means LHLabs ran out of money, probably years ago. Not good. I hope it eventually gets done.

A small defence of Larry, again - when the crowdfund campaigns were started Larry was the technical product designer. He wasn't running the books, or marketing, or general operations. That was Gavin Fish, the marketing manager, and whoever was the CFO at the time (if they even had one).

So I'm not sure directing your full ire at Larry is entirely warranted, as at the time of those decisions he had his head down doing product design.

But then again I got my stuff, and no doubt would be murderously furious if I was still waiting...

Jan 22, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #12,844 of 13,800
I assure you, this didn't happen. And I happen to know that for a 100% fact, because I'm directly involved in the Tesla sales and with their customers and I know what's going on in the program. Customers of the Tesla products are much in the same boat as the IGG campaigns. In some cases, possibly worse off. There are delays on both campaigns, and Tesla is not superceding the IGG development.

You're welcome to believe me or not. I'm back to work now.

Didn't you reply to me saying that you don't know anything about the Tesla side of LHlabs' business and now you are saying that you are directly involved in their Tesla business...Blowing hard hey! And you want us to believe that Tesla's customers are in a much worse situation than us, the early backers? You see blowing again! You gonna run out of breath soon...

Jan 22, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #12,845 of 13,800
There is NO relationship between Tesla and Light Harmonic or LH Labs, other than the fact that LH Labs sells independently developed third party products designed to fit (sort of) in Tesla automotive products.

Yes, LH Labs did collect several million dollars from several indiegogo campaigns, largely orchestrated by the master used car salesman Gavin Fish. Unfortunately, time is money, and the time that has elapsed since the indiegogo campaigns has entirely consumed the monies collected therein. I don't really understand the extremely slow rate of LH Labs product development cycles, but that slow rate is extremely expensive. Larry's apparent refusal to pay for quicker turnaround from his vendors has proven to be a false economy. This seems to be a lesson that he still has not learned, and I really cannot fathom the extreme lack of urgency on the part of LH Labs to complete these projects and fulfill their campaign commitments.

I am under the impression that Larry was generally steamrollered by Gavin, as Gavin is a very effective and assertive salesman and Larry is (as are others of us) conflict averse. This does not mean that Larry is entirely without fault, but was not the prime party driving the crowd funding campaigns. Unfortunately, Larry is absolutely not a manager and has totally failed to manage the disaster that was dropped entirely in his lap when the gravy train started to dry up and Gavin abandoned the now sinking ship of LH Labs for greener pastures.

Thus is the story of LH Labs and their crowd funding backers. We are stuck waiting for products that aill likely be shipped - eventually. I do not believe that Larry has ever had any intent to defraud the campaign backers, and consider the continuied presence of LH Labs to be evidence of that. I don't even think that Gavin has any intent to defraud, he is just the consummate salesman and has little if any interest in the products that he sells, only the commission collected from the sales. If theft were the intent then they would have claimed failure on he campaign projects and disappeared a long time ago.

Thus ends yet another long post..........

J.P.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 23, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #12,846 of 13,800
This seems to be a lesson that he still has not learned, and I really cannot fathom the extreme lack of urgency on the part of LH Labs to complete these projects and fulfill their campaign commitments.

LH Labs has not established itself as a Co. that sells competitive, reliable, and marketable products. With 5-7 unfinished projects, in 3.5-4 years, what direction is LH Labs Management leading the Co., and it's IGG backers?

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #12,847 of 13,800
Many many other campaigns are late. How late, I don't know. But this is a common situation with IGG and Kickstarter campaigns. The previous linked article even refers to late campaigns.
This really boils my blood since it wasn't promoted that way in 2013.

I just noticed something. Most of the pulse backers are on head-fi and I can't for the life of me remember anyone in the past year...maybe more receiving anything. Larry I do really hope to meat you someday so I can give you the respect you have me. Time to go on trade shows.

Jan 23, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #12,848 of 13,800
There is NO relationship between Tesla and Light Harmonic or LH Labs, other than the fact that LH Labs sells independently developed third party products designed to fit (sort of) in Tesla automotive products.

Gavin is a very effective and assertive salesman and Larry is (as are others of us) conflict averse.

We are stuck waiting for products that aill likely be shipped - eventually. I do not believe that Larry has ever had any intent to defraud the campaign backers

1. How can you be so sure? Are you ITK (in the know)?

2. Larry Ho is the person in charge, and LH Labs is not the first company he started. So can't attribute all these to his inexperience.

Jan 23, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #12,850 of 13,800

He actually is (much moreso than most other people who just think they are), and if anyone thinks we have a relationship or partnership with Tesla, please call them up and report back your findings. Their number is 1 (888) 518-3752 or 1 (650) 681-5100. We eagerly await.

Jan 23, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #12,851 of 13,800
OK group let us review?

1. Some of us got involved in one or more of the startup campaigns as far back as late 2013
2. A large number invested in more than one (1) product
3. Some of us have gotten delivery on one (1) product or more but after 2 or more years in the pipeline
4. Many of us did not get delivery on our Geek Pulse even though some were sold on Amazon
5. Other products that were part of the start up have gone through the same delivery pattern as 4 above
6. No one to my knowledge has received a Source music server
7. The Source has seen design changes as well as branding revisions
8. The same holds true for the Tesla products as well as Geek Out products and some LH Labs products

My assumption is that every one on this blog has skin in this game in the way of investments in product that they have not received shipment on
I also believe that many are correct in that the communication channel between the vendor (LH Labs--) and its customer base - us - has been less than satisfactory.

Having summarized our plight I want to make a couple of suggestions

A. Flame mail is not the way for any of us to get what we want. It is allegorically akin to hitting someone in the mouth just before you ask them to do you a favor. I suggest that the flame mail ends and civil discourse begin allow someone to speak for you if you can not contain your impulses
B. Speculation about the motives or financial acumen does us no good either so we should not use that as an excuse to berate the people who appear to at least have some interest in addressing our problems
C. Realize that the kind of harping we have engaged in only drives down the desirability of the products we have received should we elect to sell them and seek a relationship with another vendor for these products.
D. When we do find some successful communication avenue that renders a favorable result lets share it with the group and try to keep that line open in a civil manner so as not to shut the communication portal down due to some unpleasant name calling

As for me -- I have been waiting for my product for three years plus and certainly would like to be rewarded with the product I bought for my patience.
Jarek -- I hope you have not taken to heart a lot of what has been shared on this blog. It appears to me that you are working hard and may be at your wits end in trying to solve some of the problems handed you. I hope you will find the grace to continue to work with us.
Larry -- It appears to me that you have a lot of balls in the air right now. My assessment is that you are handling the role of 1)lead designer, 2) Quality Control testing and lead engineer, 3) Purchasing Manager and 4) Chief Decision Maker. If I am correct that is a mind bending process control you have undertaken. May I suggest that you try to see your way -- only if I am correct -- to delegating some of this responsibility to your colleagues? It would make your life a little less stressful and would make you operation more efficient.
Matt -- I have only had to deal with you a couple of times. I came away satisfied with the result-- and I thank you for that
Gina -- I have had a couple of dealings with you and have been somewhat satisfied. You have been prompt to return my inquires. I would like to suggest that when you hand off an inquiry that you follow up a few days later to make sure that question does not drop off the radar through no fault of your own.

It is my desired outcome for all of us to get delivery of the products we sponsored, as we configured them and to enjoy them for a long time.
Regards
FBFA

Jan 24, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #12,853 of 13,800
I’m usually with most of the people here that “yelling” doesn’t work.

But on the other hand I ask you if we really should be quiet, tolerate Larry’s behavior and keep our fingers crossed that he delivers whenever he is ready. Really?
Of that is the message you got then I missed the mark! My admonition was that when "Yelling" et al, we should be civil in our approach. Name calling is counter productive. I will grant you that we have not go anything near an acceptable level of behavior from LH Labs but on the other hand I don't want our legitimate complains to be drowned out by the name calling I have seen during the last 14 months or so. It hurts every one here and it hurts the ultimate resale value of any of these product that we do get delivered and some day want to sell.

Your point is well taken'

Regards
FBFA

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #12,855 of 13,800

2. Larry Ho is the person in charge, and LH Labs is not the first company he started. So can't attribute all these to his inexperience.

I'v been following LH Labs closely for about 49 months now, ever since I backed the Pulse DAC campaign on indiegogo. While I have had a bit of inside contact, almost everything that I post in forums has come from public information... accumulated from other posts in various places. Yes, I do post some speculation based on rational and logical interpolation and extrapolation of this public knowledge. For example, Larry has published (directly and through Jarek) that he is pursuing deals with various overseas entities. To the best of my knowledge, nowhere has anyone from LH Labs commented in any degree about having or even discussing any relationship with Tesla. From this, I think it reasonable to state that there is no such relationship.

As for Larry's management abilities, I said nothing about his experience. I did comment on his apparent (lack of) management abilities. I know that he has been party to several startups, including Light Harmonic and LH Labs. I have no details on his enterprises before Light Harmonic, so cannot comment on those. What I can see is that Light Harmonic has been successful and LH Labs not so. There is a major difference between the two. Light Harmonic is a boutique audio equipment company with essentially one product (the DaVinci DAC), shipping only a handful of essentially hand built units a month. This is an entirely different management challenge than that of LH Labs which is trying to mass produce more general consumer goods. The expected volume of production and (entirely too large and too soon) array of products poses a far different management challenge.

This is all a matter of accumulation of publicly available data and reasonable interpretation of such. I may well be wrong in my interpretation, but at least I try to stay in the realm of rational, as opposed to various off the wall accusations and conspiracy theories being presented here and elsewhere.

J.P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back