Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jan 12, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #12,077 of 13,800
  I have a similar ticket. So Larry doesn't have access to email while he's on the road?

This update better be a good one - they've removed Gavin's updates from 3mths ago from the Indiegogo page

Lol...censorship 3.0....

here´s the text again (in case someone is interested):

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Pulse Backers,

As I think you are mostly aware, I am no longer employed by LH Labs. I am still, however, profoundly interested in making sure that every single backer receives what s/he contributed toward.

I've been reading the comments on this campaign with great concern these past several months. To my disgust, I'm aware that there are still some of you who haven't received your perks. Because of this, I can't hold my tongue any longer.

I called a meeting with Larry last Friday to discuss with him at his office his reasons for not delivering your Pulse DAC's as he has promised multiple times. This is what I found out that, for reasons known only to Larry, he and his team has not been willing to share with you:

There is a batch of boards that were manufactured and stuffed with hundreds of dollars worth of components on each one that had a 98% failure rate. Because of this perceived screw-up on the part of the PCB manufacturer, Larry fired that vendor. Then, because he didn't want to loose hundreds of thousands of dollars in components that couldn't be un-soldered and used again, and because he felt that he couldn't wait months for some of the long lead time components he'd have to re-order, he decided to go about the process of troubleshooting and repairing the failed boards so he could deliver them to you in a timely fashion.

Ultimately, after months of work, the boards couldn't be salvaged and he came to grips with the fact that he needed to bite the bullet and re-manufacture and assemble the boards.

He tried a couple different vendors and never got a board from them that worked. Upon further troubleshooting, though, he found out that the problem wasn't solely with the PCB after all, but there was also a problem with a specific batch of one of the active components in his design. He has talked with that vendor, brought the problem to their knowledge, and worked with them on the fix.

You probably don't care (I wouldn't if I were in your shoes), but Larry feels awful and sincerely wants to deliver what he committed LH Labs to deliver. He told me that he is going to include something in these last units that will make up for all the lost time; a monolithic ceramic capacitor with an interposer substrate from Murata on the output that is even quieter than what he'd been using. I advised him not to change anything (I don't want any design change that would further delay shipments) and to get the units shipped as quickly as possible. I can never tell when he will or will not take my advice, but I hope he does this time.

From my understanding, he has reordered the problematic active components and is waiting for them to arrive. New boards are also ordered and on the way, he reported. He estimated to me that he'd be able to ship the outstanding Pulse DAC units in mid October.

On a personal note, let me say that I've never known Larry to purposefully lie. He is, however, often guilty of being terribly over-optimistic, which in the past caused me and a handful of others to report things to you the ended up not being true. This has weighed heavily on me.

To my satisfaction today, I believe Larry is working hard to get things finished and shipped as quickly as possible. Having said that, I wouldn't hold my breath for mid October.

Very sincerely,

Gavin

PS - On behalf only of myself, I'm sorry to all of you for the way in which this campaign was handled. I'm sorry for all of it, and hope for your forgiveness. If you're going to be at RMAF, I'd love to meet any and all of you face-to-face to deliver my deepest apologies. Maybe we can meet and let me buy you a drink. If you'd like to take me up on the offer, please email me at rmaf@gavin.fish and let's arrange a time to all get together.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: IGG Pulse campaign mail [Sep 27th, 2016]

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #12,078 of 13,800
update today, suddenly they have 200 to make rather than the last 80-100.
I hope they get the new order system loaded with all campaigns, so they know what they have to make.

13 hours ago

Dear Pulse Backers,

Happy New Year to all our backers!

We would like to address a couple of points that have been brought up in recent weeks.

1. Some backers are asking why there are few Pulse Infinity units for sale on Amazon while there are still backers waiting. These units were purchased by Amazon from our company in late 2015 and they hold the control of it. We have reached out to Amazon to pull them back and ship to backers but they have not responded. They are units owned by and sold through Amazon.

2. Regarding outstanding Pulse Infinity units, due to most of these units are actually the upgraded and upgraded version. Indiegogo's simple text based export on different perks made the data integrity hard to 100% correction. In the end, we found that the amount of units we believed were outstanding was incorrect. We have been combing through the data, and our originally estimated numbers of remained wrong, the actually number is 197. To concur that problem, we have upgraded to a new eCommerce system and are entering the remaining Pulse Infinity orders there. You will get the email notification when we done the orders import. And you could update your shipping address there and confirm if the order listed inside are 100% correct.

Product wise,  since we decide to abandon the remaining last batch of PCBs.  We would make one good round of PCBF+PCBA. Our target is to complete the remaining Pulse Infinity orders by mid to end of March.

3. During the past few months, we collect all RMA logs vs different serial numbers and PCB batches we have on hand. The majority of units that has issues are out-of-sync on internal signal lines and sometimes will cause USB input interrupted or volume control disabled. We found the real reason behind is the I2C signal transmission is not stable. And I2C signal lines needs to change two resistors from original 2000R to 500R, and whole issue is gone. And after this modification, units sent out and been played for months without any problem. It took us a long time to dig out this reason, which even PCB factory don't have a full explanation why only few batches with our thousands of Pulse DAC will have this issue on the condition we didn't change the design at all. 

Anyway, from three months ago, all our ship out units has this part fully tested again and again to make sure no similar issue happened. Now, we are confident this tech issue has been solved.

Thanks and best regards,

n3xmcvomk90cjggv7pdt.jpg
 LH Labs

Jan 13, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #12,079 of 13,800

You probably don't care (I wouldn't if I were in your shoes), but Larry feels awful and sincerely wants to deliver what he committed LH Labs to deliver. He told me that he is going to include something in these last units that will make up for all the lost time; a monolithic ceramic capacitor with an interposer substrate from Murata on the output that is even quieter than what he'd been using.

So do you guys think this is going to happen?

and omg, I can`t believe suddenly, months after ``they only had about 100 left`` and ``would be done by mid december`` they have double that anount left lol.... wait I do believe it. I just hope I get it one day....

Jan 13, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #12,080 of 13,800
No way, seriously, surely there can't STILL be unfortunate backers waiting for their Pulse Infinity units. Hells teeth, this is beyond shameful and is tantamount to anally ******** backers and then charging them for their pain. Larry Ho you are a thief for taking folks hard earned cash and delivering nothing to backers. How many more excuses can you make for failing to fulfill backers pledges?!? LH Labs stinks of wrongdoing and deceitful pledge fulfilment.

update today, suddenly they have 200 to make rather than the last 80-100.
I hope they get the new order system loaded with all campaigns, so they know what they have to make.

13 hours ago

Dear Pulse Backers,

[COLOR=2A2A2A]
Happy New Year to all our backers!

We would like to address a couple of points that have been brought up in recent weeks.

1. Some backers are asking why there are few Pulse Infinity units for sale on Amazon while there are still backers waiting. These units were purchased by Amazon from our company in late 2015 and they hold the control of it. We have reached out to Amazon to pull them back and ship to backers but they have not responded. They are units owned by and sold through Amazon.

2. Regarding outstanding Pulse Infinity units, due to most of these units are actually the upgraded and upgraded version. Indiegogo's simple text based export on different perks made the data integrity hard to 100% correction. In the end, we found that the amount of units we believed were outstanding was incorrect. We have been combing through the data, and our originally estimated numbers of remained wrong, the [COLOR=FF0000]actually number is 197[/COLOR]. To concur that problem, we have upgraded to a new eCommerce system and are entering the remaining Pulse Infinity orders there. You will get the email notification when we done the orders import. And you could update your shipping address there and confirm if the order listed inside are 100% correct.

Product wise,  since we decide to abandon the remaining last batch of PCBs.  We would make one good round of PCBF+PCBA. Our target is to complete the remaining [COLOR=FF0000]Pulse Infinity orders by mid to end of March[/COLOR].

3. During the past few months, we collect all RMA logs vs different serial numbers and PCB batches we have on hand. The majority of units that has issues are out-of-sync on internal signal lines and sometimes will cause USB input interrupted or volume control disabled. We found the real reason behind is the I2C signal transmission is not stable. And I2C signal lines needs to change two resistors from original 2000R to 500R, and whole issue is gone. And after this modification, units sent out and been played for months without any problem. It took us a long time to dig out this reason, which even PCB factory don't have a full explanation why only few batches with our thousands of Pulse DAC will have this issue on the condition we didn't change the design at all. 

Anyway, from three months ago, all our ship out units has this part fully tested again and again to make sure no similar issue happened. Now, we are confident this tech issue has been solved.

Thanks and best regards,

[/COLOR]
n3xmcvomk90cjggv7pdt.jpg

LH Labs

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #12,082 of 13,800
No way, seriously, surely there can't STILL be unfortunate backers waiting for their Pulse Infinity units. Hells teeth, this is beyond shameful and is tantamount to anally ******** backers and then charging them for their pain. Larry Ho you are a thief for taking folks hard earned cash and delivering nothing to backers. How many more excuses can you make for failing to fulfill backers pledges?!? LH Labs stinks of wrongdoing and deceitful pledge fulfilment.

They aren`t even good at making excuses either!!! They have been blaming ''the boards'' for... well at least a year now lol... 

Jan 14, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #12,084 of 13,800
For people that are having issues with Pulses dropping connections to computers while audio is playing, what are you listening to when it happens? Audio from a dedicated audio player application (JRMC, Tidal desktop app, etc), or audio through a web browser (what browser?)?

I was having severe issues with connection drops between Pulse XFi and Mac Mini, and after re-flashing the firmware, the disconnects stopped for a couple of weeks. Now they are back, but only happening once every couple of days.

I send audio to my Pulse a few different ways, and I think I have narrowed down the issue.

Usages are:
- TOSLINK from PS3 to watch movies and play games, listening through headphones
- USB from Mac Mini, listening through headphones:
          - listening to lossless ALAC and DSF files from JRiver Media Center
          - listening to Tidal HIFI from Tidal desktop app (very recent, currently testing)
          - watching downloaded movies/tv shows from VLC
          - watching movies/tv shows from Netflix and Plex server through Google Chrome

I am listening to music, or watching movies/tv, the majority of the time I am at home and awake, so I have a lot of experience with the issue.

From what I have found, the connection drops appear to be an issue only when using Google Chrome to watch Netflix/Plex, and power cycling the Pulse gets it working again. I am testing Safari as of this morning to see if it holds up (so far it does), but it is far from definitive. I need to run it for a few more days to be more confident.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior? Or getting drops during different playback scenarios?

p.s. An interesting side note on something I just found out while troubleshooting...Chrome does not output 1080p, it is limited to 720p. Safari and Microsoft Edge/Internet Explorer do output 1080p.

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #12,085 of 13,800
  For people that are having issues with Pulses dropping connections to computers while audio is playing, what are you listening to when it happens? Audio from a dedicated audio player application (JRMC, Tidal desktop app, etc), or audio through a web browser (what browser?)?

I was having severe issues with connection drops between Pulse XFi and Mac Mini, and after re-flashing the firmware, the disconnects stopped for a couple of weeks. Now they are back, but only happening once every couple of days.

I send audio to my Pulse a few different ways, and I think I have narrowed down the issue.

Usages are:
- TOSLINK from PS3 to watch movies and play games, listening through headphones
- USB from Mac Mini, listening through headphones:
          - listening to lossless ALAC and DSF files from JRiver Media Center
          - listening to Tidal HIFI from Tidal desktop app (very recent, currently testing)
          - watching downloaded movies/tv shows from VLC
          - watching movies/tv shows from Netflix and Plex server through Google Chrome

I am listening to music, or watching movies/tv, the majority of the time I am at home and awake, so I have a lot of experience with the issue.

From what I have found, the connection drops appear to be an issue only when using Google Chrome to watch Netflix/Plex, and power cycling the Pulse gets it working again. I am testing Safari as of this morning to see if it holds up (so far it does), but it is far from definitive. I need to run it for a few more days to be more confident.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior? Or getting drops during different playback scenarios?

p.s. An interesting side note on something I just found out while troubleshooting...Chrome does not output 1080p, it is limited to 720p. Safari and Microsoft Edge/Internet Explorer do output 1080p.

Do you have one of the problem units?
from the last update:

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #12,086 of 13,800
Just browsed the past few pages of this thread since I was wondering why it was so long - I'm on the lookout for a good DAC/amp combo myself, so obviously the amount of pages caught my attention :D

I couldn't help by smile a little bit at the third solution regarding the I2C bus, because it's real cause isn't determined from that wording. The only resistors in I2C they can be talking about are the two pull-ups used for data and clock lines (SDA/SCK). 2k is more than fine, unless the overall capacitance of the line is vastly too high, which is something the PCB manufacturer should be able to verify. Other than that, it could also be damaged SDA/SCK ports that don't properly work in open-drain/open-collector any longer, or severely slew-rate limited.

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #12,087 of 13,800
  Do you have one of the problem units?
from the last update:

No, not that I have been made aware of.

So far all of my testing points toward the Chrome (and/or maybe the Mac to a small degree). Still nothing definitive though.

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #12,088 of 13,800
Sent my pulse back due to a problem, after the long winded process of arranging a return at my cost as it was out warranty I bite the bullet and decided to have it upgraded to xfi. Subsequently I paid the money after being told the unit was ready and guess what now they have a problem with it lol. It's been back a month any idea's on their usual time frame to complete stuff?

Jan 19, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #12,089 of 13,800
You do now that time exists only as a concept to human beings so that we can get things done. To the universe the concept of time is meaningless. LH Labs understands this and practices it. How can you even ask for a time-frame when time doesn't exist. They're trying to show you and all of us this. We should thank and bless them for this, instead of insulting them by asking for banal things/concepts such as time-frames. Seriously?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back