Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
May 1, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #11,236 of 13,800

I stated this clearly in post 11224, which is on this same page, and gave multiple reason why my opinion may be wrong. Your comments act as if this does not exist.

That is not what I was referring to and, yes, I did read it .  In post 11230 you state "The fact the Pulse is not a very good sounding DAC, in the end confirms everything for me."  That's really what my last comment was directed towards.

May 2, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #11,237 of 13,800
That is not what I was referring to and, yes, I did read it .  In post 11230 you state "The fact the Pulse is not a very good sounding DAC, in the end confirms everything for me."  That's really what my last comment was directed towards.

Haha, yeah I also read it as "paper tiger, paper tiger, paper tiger, FACT, it's not good" :p 

Maybe, according to his last reply that's not the angle he was going for, and indeed he was trying to say that "IMO, I don't like it, don't think it's worth anything I had to put into it, and not worth owning now". Maybe.

As for me, I'm happy with my Infinity V2 + LPS4 V2. I'm rolling them in the system now to see what I think synergy wise and what I think vs. my PWD MkII. What I'd really like to get would be an Yggdrasil and see how they all fare in relation to one another. There's no "best at everything" DAC, so I'd be interesting to listen to. 

May 2, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #11,238 of 13,800
Try balanced for best results. No point running single ended as the gap between SE and XLR is immense.

The SE sounds flat and lifeless while the Balanced is the life of the party. More punchy and musical to put it simply.

May 2, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #11,241 of 13,800
Nobody knows. Even the Infinity V2 didn't "get" in en masse, it's still in limited beta. I don't have it.

This is LH Labs deal and I don't know any comms on it

Word I got is that the DSD256 firmware is stable on the Pulse Infinity, but not on some of the other Pulse variants, and that they don't want to release it widely until they get the bugs out so that it is more broadly stable. Seems like they don't want people going ahead and flashing the firmware upgrade even if they clearly mark it "for Infinity ONLY" or such. Cheers 

May 3, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #11,242 of 13,800

Just can't agree with your assessment that the Pulse is not a very good sounding DAC.  I also own the original Burson Conductor  for which I have both the Sabre and the PCM versions of the internal DAC boards and it's a fine sounding DAC with either board but I feel the Pulse X Infinity is a much better DAC than the Burson.

It's your and a few others, not many mind you, opinion, not fact, that feel it's lifeless and there are many more that don't feel that way.  Let's agree to disagree.  If it doesn't work you, so be it, purchase something else that suits your needs and move on.

If only money grows on trees.
I bought the Yggrasil while waiting for the XFI.
Now that I have the XFI, I feel it doesn't meet my expectation for the price.
But you're correct, if you don't like it get, something else. The XFI is up for sale on Amazon. I'll put it on Craigslist as well.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B017VY2V18

May 3, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #11,243 of 13,800
@zerograin. Not good to see that you are trying to con potential backers with your Amazon sales description - the Pulse Xfi is NOT the same as a Pulse Infinity. It was a cheaper lower performance version.

Update: Comment withdrawn as zerograin has modified the description. Apologies for any offence.

May 4, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #11,246 of 13,800
  Word I got is that the DSD256 firmware is stable on the Pulse Infinity, but not on some of the other Pulse variants, and that they don't want to release it widely until they get the bugs out so that it is more broadly stable. Seems like they don't want people going ahead and flashing the firmware upgrade even if they clearly mark it "for Infinity ONLY" or such. Cheers 

Cool, thanks for the clarification.

So what happened with that PureDSD thing? I didn't catch the development of that and if that's what the Pulse X Infinity is actually doing with its DSD256 or if it's just normal, bog standard DSD256 in there?

May 5, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #11,247 of 13,800
I've noticed with the gain settings, it's pretty proportional to the amount of bass IMO. Low gain sounds a bit anemic and not quite that musical or warm. Even IEMs I'm starting to use medium gain to give me a warmer sound. With my DT1770's, medium has the best balance of impact and tightness while high has uncontrolled sub-bass. With my HE-400S, only high gain has enough balance of warmth to not be a treble happy can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back