Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jan 31, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #10,787 of 13,800
Isn't the only difference between the infinity xfi the upgraded components?

So the firmware would really just be the same?

Each model has its own firmware. Mixing and matching firmware version between models can brick the Pulse. You have to be very careful.

Jan 31, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #10,788 of 13,800
I'm not suggesting people should, but I was just commenting that the difference between the Xfi and Infinity are passive component upgrades and matching.  So there really isn't anything that should be different in the firmware.

I'm curious if the boards that might not have met Infinity specs still met or exceeded Xfi specs and were shipped out in Xfi boxes.

Jan 31, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #10,789 of 13,800
  I'm not suggesting people should, but I was just commenting that the difference between the Xfi and Infinity are passive component upgrades and matching.  So there really isn't anything that should be different in the firmware.

Good point. 

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #10,790 of 13,800
What firmware are Pulse X Infinity users using? I was a beta tester for v2.0, which has some support for DSD256 (though it never actually displayed DSD256 on my display board), but I just opened up a ticket to see if I could get the non-beta firmware and apparently that is the current firmware. I am confused.

I was hoping to downgrade to the latest official firmware because of the audio dropout problem I was having. I think I have the v1.5 firmware on my hard drive somewhere...

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #10,791 of 13,800
Just an update on my Infinity-X Project

The Duelund are spectacularly HUGE. And a smart investment only if we can get them in.  There is this risk that things won't work - and I'll probably be banging my head on the wall, since the Infinity (at pre-Duelund stage), did genuinely deliver exceptional and delightful to my ears. and if I were to base it on the positive comments given by those that had tyjhe opportunity to audition.

The First Concern/Challenge was. "Is there a way to position and install these monster of a capacitor, given the limited space?"   Well, in theory, Yes!  Definitely NOT on the Infinity PCB as I can't find a nice spot for it close to the other caps. Well I can spread them out but it would most certainly look like a totally amateurish Hack.  Imagine those unsightly wires sprawling all over, Yikes!  

So I decided and planned for the Duelund to be behind the Infinity PCB. I needed to make sure and was extra careful that there would not be any short-circuits especial on the LPS side. Everything done, honestly can't believe that it worked and was quite amazed that all 4 sat nice & happy. I did not have to cut or extend the capacitor leads. Oh yeah FWIW, I did not have to make a single mm of adjustment to the Acrylic Housing Stand-offs, as well. Marvelous!

Feb 4, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #10,792 of 13,800
@SiGiE ,

Your MOD is outrageuosly sick!

So as I get it, the Elna Caps sounded more exceptional and delightful to you ears? 

Feb 4, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #10,795 of 13,800
I acquired a Mojo Audio Mystique DAC from eBay. The DAC chip is an old Analog Devices AD1865N R2R ladder chip and it has massive Duelund copper capacitors - see photo below. Doubt that this DAC is remotely linear but it sounds so good it doesn't really matter. 
smile.gif

Quote:

ELNA Simlic 2 (like the MUSE) I found to be very likable/enjoyable, an excellent, choice indeed. With Blackgate & Mundorf SGO, superb.   Now PLUS the Duelund, nothing comes close. Thanks!

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #10,798 of 13,800
Feb 5, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #10,800 of 13,800
Hi Folks,
Long time reader, just joined!
Looking for some advice from other Infinity owners.  Has anyone had any success in keeping this unit's USB connected with their computer.  I still seem to be losing connection about 3 times a month.  Is this a firmware issue or a computer issue?  In my mind turning the unit on and off is not a solution.

Funny, I have 2 older DAC that I leave on and have been connected via USB for over 5 years without any issues at all.

Thanks for your help.
Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back