Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
May 20, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #7,367 of 13,800
^^^ yeah... what he said.  It's all cosmetic.  Like a facade.  Now cosmetics can be good.  Plus it does have the upgradable display board.

I am sticking with the new chassis.  If I'm going to be stuck paying extra for shipping, I'll be getting a bigger chassis... plus I have the HPA coming.

May 20, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #7,368 of 13,800
It is not all cosmetic. The new chassis allows for better damping and resonance control. Believe it or not even solid state electronics are sensitive to microscopic vibrations and a well designed chassis can make the same circuit boards sound significantly better, much as a good base, rack or feet can. I have been a septic on subjects such as this but I have experienced hard proof of the effects of good vibration control.

J.P.

May 20, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #7,369 of 13,800
I am setting hear watching a movie thru my Vanilla Geek pulse and I have to say while the way LH Labs announce product or says one thing then does another is very difficult to deal with but the sound they produce is so very enjoyable. If only they did not say one thing and do another I would have nothing but wonderful things to say about them. The Bass is thunderous in my ears and the action takes place and the highs sound clear and bright. The stage is so open and separation is amazing. The Headphone amp drives my 650's and even though it works to do it and I have to use all its ample power it adds very little noise and no distortion that is noticeable. Here I am praising them again, "Damn You LH Labs" as I shake my fist in the air "Damn You" LOL!!

May 20, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #7,370 of 13,800
M
Except that this is not the case. The Infinity PCBs are the same whether you get the new chassis or the old chassis.

That's why I was surprised to hear about better SQ from the new chassis.

It is not all cosmetic. The new chassis allows for better damping and resonance control. Believe it or not even solid state electronics are sensitive to microscopic vibrations and a well designed chassis can make the same circuit boards sound significantly better, much as a good base, rack or feet can. I have been a septic on subjects such as this but I have experienced hard proof of the effects of good vibration control.

J.P.

Ok, I can see that, but the difference will still be minimal.

I am setting hear watching a movie thru my Vanilla Geek pulse and I have to say while the way LH Labs announce product or says one thing then does another is very difference to deal with but the sound they produce is so very enjoyable. If only they did not say one thing and do another I would have nothing but wonderful things to say about them. The Bass is thunderous in my ears and the action takes place and the highs sound clear and bright. The stage is so open and separation is amazing. The Headphone amp drives my 650's and even though it works to do it and I have to use all its ample power it adds very little noise and no distortion that is noticeable. Here I am praising them again, "Damn You LH Labs" as I shake my fist in the air "Damn You" LOL!!

I don't know about you, but I only max the output when the gain setting is at "low" and that's with HE-500 that are more power hungry. Watch out, you don't want to go deaf.

May 20, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #7,371 of 13,800

Yes, it's a real shame, I'd have liked the new chassis, but I just can't see a great deal of progress being made. It seems to have stalled, and there's very little info coming out of LH Labs.

Design wise, I'll stand corrected, but I don't get the impression that "acoustics" were taken into consideration with the new chassis. Now the Vi DAC appears to be a different matter.

In any case, (see what I did there?) only side by side comparisons will tell us if there's any improvement between the new and old chassis.

May 20, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #7,372 of 13,800
Indeed, the continued silence from LH is deafening.  As always, all too happy to send frequent emails selling the latest product (GO v2 in this case), but no response even to direct, repeated questions on here and LH forums on even a vague ETA for Infinity with old or new chassis.  Again, as per usual, we're not given the correct information to make an informed choice. Oh well, I've given up & bought another decent dac in the meantime as I'm honestly not expecting the new chassis Infinity to be shipping this side of Christmas.

May 20, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #7,373 of 13,800
  Indeed, the continued silence from LH is deafening.  As always, all too happy to send frequent emails selling the latest product (GO v2 in this case), but no response even to direct, repeated questions on here and LH forums on even a vague ETA for Infinity with old or new chassis.  Again, as per usual, we're not given the correct information to make an informed choice. Oh well, I've given up & bought another decent dac in the meantime as I'm honestly not expecting the new chassis Infinity to be shipping this side of Christmas.

My Infinity, in the old chassis, is in transit as we type! I get the impression they'd be happier if everyone chose the old chassis so they could get them out the door!

May 20, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #7,374 of 13,800

I gave up posting on the forums.  I recommend just going via PM.  Manny has helped me out on a few occasions, however, I usually ask Gina on their forums.  She is a fabulous customer service rep.  You can also open a ticket.  Make sure you ask for Gina in the ticket.  Every time I have had Stephanie, what she told me was wrong or she flucked it up.  It's a shame, but I guess they are reticent about making public proclamations, but in private you will get a direct answer.

May 20, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #7,375 of 13,800
Same here. At least the resale value with the new chassis would be higher.

You sure about that? I ask because there has been a bunch of resistance here about the size of the new chassis. If it remains at the dimensions that we have seen to date, it is a large item for a desktop setup. We think that it may look "better", but even that is not settled... depending on implementation of what so far is an early prototype.

I am wavering. J.P. said "some" delay is acceptable... I am not sure yet what my definition of "some" is in this case. I am not sure either what the probable delay will be.. Difficult decision when the end game is unknown!

May 20, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #7,376 of 13,800

My Infinity, in the old chassis, is in transit as we type! I get the impression they'd be happier if everyone chose the old chassis so they could get them out the door!

They made their own bed by offering the new chassis for sure. I originally wanted the new chassis but decided I didn't want to wait any longer. Maybe I'll regret it, maybe not. But my Infinity arrived today and I'm listening to it now and directly comparing it to my vanilla Pulse I've had since late last year. So far, I'm pretty impressed. And this is not anticipation hearing or expectations. Actually, I was very happy with the Pulse. But the difference is audible on every level. So no matter what chassis you're waiting for, the unit itself is pretty damn good. More impressions later if anyone wants them.

May 20, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #7,377 of 13,800

They made their own bed by offering the new chassis for sure. I originally wanted the new chassis but decided I didn't want to wait any longer. Maybe I'll regret it, maybe not. But my Infinity arrived today and I'm listening to it now and directly comparing it to my vanilla Pulse I've had since late last year. So far, I'm pretty impressed. And this is not anticipation hearing or expectations. Actually, I was very happy with the Pulse. But the difference is audible on every level. So no matter what chassis you're waiting for, the unit itself is pretty damn good. More impressions later if anyone wants them.

Glad your Infinity lives up to expectations. My GO 720 is my first and only DAC so I'm pretty sure I won't be disappointed with the Infinity. I originally set out with the intention of building a Buffalo DAC or AckoDAC, but this came along and actually works out cheaper because I got in early on. Whilst not getting the new chassis is a bit of a shame, I won't lose any sleep over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back