Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Mar 3, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #6,106 of 13,800

No, the ticket was opened in the new support system. To be clear - I wasn't completely ignored. The ticket was assigned to Jody, and then to Manny, and then to Tami, and then 9 days ago to Michael, who finally sent me the RMA form last night. This is what is frustrating - 4 different people in the organisation saw that I had a fault severe enough to damage a headphone, and none of them seemed to think it was a priority to get the unit in the lab ASAP and see what was going on.

understood about the new ticket system, glad that wasn't a factor.
indeed tho:  many hands appeared to touch and pass the ticket, here's hoping Casey straightens out the process and resolution for your Pulse equipment ASAP.

ok, back to the music:
anyone HAVE a Pulse Xfi in house and can share (more) initial impressions? 

Mar 3, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #6,107 of 13,800
 Geek Pulse has flickering LED probably and popping. Destroyed a driver on my Beats Solo. :frowning2: Waiting to hear back from customer service. I hope this is fixed soon. :-

I also have had a private email describing a blown driver on a pair of K7XX units.

I just replied to the ticket that was opened by the K7XX user.  I haven't heard from the owner of the Beats Solos yet.  I think it's important to bring up something that's probably obvious to long-time head-fiers, but maybe not-so-obvious to many people.  It's the issue of power and the potential for system damage, or worse, ear damage.

If you look up the specs of the K7XX's, there are three pieces of information that are very important.  First, sensitivity.  Second, rated impedance.  Third, maximum input power.  In the case of the K7XX's, they have a sensitivity rating of 105 dB/V, and impedance rating of 62 ohms, and a maximum input power of 200 mW.

Geek Pulse has a single-ended output power of 3000 mW into 16 ohms.  Quick calculations will tell you that into 62 ohms, Geek Pulse has a potential of outputting about 790 mW when the volume is set at -0dB.  This is a recipe for broken headphones and, perhaps, a melted face.  Please use with caution.

In the case of Beats Solos, I can't find maximum input power information, but I did find that the sensitivity is 115 dB/V and the rated impedance is 45 ohms.  This means Geek Pulse has a potential of delivering about 1080 mW into these headphones.  Again, I can't find the max power info on these guys, but I'm guessing they won't handle a full watt of power.

PLEASE use this EXTREMELY powerful headphone amp with caution.  Use best practices.  Power it up before it's receiving a signal.  Turn the volume down.  Start the music.  Then connect your headphones.  After a while you'll know where you like things set and you won't be in danger of face meltery.

Mar 3, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #6,108 of 13,800

I just replied to the ticket that was opened by the K7XX user.

Would you consider sharing your survey among the contributors just to arrest any question about the numbers and get a more accurate sample?

Mar 3, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #6,110 of 13,800
Mar 3, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #6,112 of 13,800

Okay, so that I understand what you are saying: you took my issue seriously enough to take the 10 seconds to add me on Skype, but once you added me you didn't take it seriously enough to message me or email me, or otherwise to follow up when I told you that because of my timezone, it may be harder to arrange a call? Suddenly when the conversation goes into a private channel the onus is all on me to follow up?

I understand that some miscommunication may have occurred here. But I absolutely will not accept you telling me I dealt with this less than pleasantly. I have been more than pleasant about this - I've been quiet. I've been quietly waiting to see how the support ticket system would work for an ordinary customer who experienced a severe issue. LH has dropped the ball - with the support tickets, with the failure to follow up, with the actual fault of the unit itself - and I am absolutely floored that you would be defensive enough to call my handling of the situation unpleasant.

I'd stop standing on ceremony, put your hurt feelings away, and initiate direct contact with Casey yourself. It doesn't matter who should have reached out first as long as it gets resolved. 

+1 here

I don't know what you want at this point. The head of marketing reaches out, you tell him about your timing concerns so he lets you know he's available at your convenience and reaches out over Skype. I can understand why you're frustrated but that's reasonable effort from my perspective. I get that others have claimed you're fixed and this or that on the forums and in your ticket, but in your shoes I'd probably just make the Skype call to Casey whenever I personally found it convenient. 

Honestly, Casey has done a lot personally for me but I've always reached out to him when I found it convenient. I didn't wait for him after he said to contact him whenever I wanted?

Mar 3, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #6,113 of 13,800
Wasn't it decided that to use the LPS4 the way you were trying to, would require the installation of a ground jumper on the LPS4's USB output?

No it's a separate issue. The floating ground is just for DAC recognition, not necessarily the buzzing sound between the USB and 12 V out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRSxmE-FPDU
Larry Ho
2 weeks ago

These should be ground loops in the whole system. Not related to 5V USB ground.
Our technical support are working with them to find out why. And currently we have three similar case out of 400+ shipped out units.

Mar 3, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #6,114 of 13,800

If you look up the specs of the K7XX's, there are three pieces of information that are very important.  First, sensitivity.  Second, rated impedance.  Third, maximum input power.  In the case of the K7XX's, they have a sensitivity rating of 105 dB/V, and impedance rating of 62 ohms, and a maximum input power of 200 mW.

Geek Pulse has a single-ended output power of 3000 mW into 16 ohms.  Quick calculations will tell you that into 62 ohms, Geek Pulse has a potential of outputting about 790 mW when the volume is set at -0dB.  This is a recipe for broken headphones and, perhaps, a melted face.  Please use with caution.

PLEASE use this EXTREMELY powerful headphone amp with caution.  Use best practices.  Power it up before it's receiving a signal.  Turn the volume down.  Start the music.  Then connect your headphones.  After a while you'll know where you like things set and you won't be in danger of face meltery.

Hi Gavin,

this might be due to the volume "spike" in the initial Firmware, when the Pulse reset to full volume after a power cycle or the initial plop from the capacitors, because there is no soft start relay.
Yes, we should use the amps with care. 

I'm using a NFB-6 amp with the GO right now and that beast outputs 5500mW @ 50 Ohm, whereas the Pulse "only" outputs  roughly 1W @ 50 Ohm. But I never managed to blow a headphone.

It might be good for your manuel for the Pulse, that you should plug the headphones in after everything is powered up.

Mar 3, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #6,115 of 13,800

I'm not sure what you're asking.  Share my survey?

Sorry, misspoke. I mean sharing this survey: http://goo.gl/forms/AR827KTu3t

That's where that response about the Beats Solo is coming from.

Why would any company share this with their customers? They have actual failure data. Returns, EFF, and warranty data is gold. It's an important part of managing your supply chain and it's a bad move to cede control over any of it to external parties. 

Mar 3, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #6,117 of 13,800

Great idea.  I've asked for it to be added to the manual.

Spoke too soon!  I asked for it to be added and was immediately told that it's already in there.  Here's what the manual says:

*** IMPORTANT NOTE ***

When the Geek Pulse is turned on and off there will be a popping noise sent through the headphone output, as well as all line outputs. These are the power caps in the signal chain charging and discharging. This is a conscious design decision to not add a buffer as it would affect the sound quality.

It is recommended that the Geek Pulse be left on at all times as it will keep the components warm, providing the optimal sound quality. However, if a power off/cycle is required, be sure to unplug headphones and/or power down the preamp/amp/active speakers to avoid any potential damage.

LH Labs will not be held responsible for any damage to equipment due to this design implementation.

Mar 3, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #6,118 of 13,800

Why would any company share this with their customers? They have actual failure data. Returns, EFF, and warranty data is gold. It's an important part of managing your supply chain and it's a bad move to cede control over any of it to external parties. 

Well of course I would be surprised if they decided to share the survey, but it never hurts to ask :wink:

Technically according to the Indiegogo terms of service "Campaign Owners will respond promptly and truthfully to all questions posed to them by Indiegogo or any Contributor."

Mar 3, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #6,119 of 13,800
Anyone here a Vi/Soul backer that opted to still receive their Pulse until the Vi is ready.... and received their Pulse yet?

I'm just wondering if that's still a thing or if LH has changed course on it. I was still expecting my Pulse to ship soon-ish as I am a 2013 backer, but if it is never comming I'd be interested to know :)

Mar 3, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #6,120 of 13,800

anyone HAVE a Pulse Xfi in house and can share (more) initial impressions? 

Why don't you start an impressions thread, if there isn't already one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back