Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Mar 24, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #6,586 of 13,800
I assume it will work very well with most Hifiman HPs (I say most since I need to test it with my HE 6 but that's a different beast altogether). Frankly, its not that great with the HD 800. No amount of twiddling around with the settings helped in getting the SQ and the overall experience I get when I use the 800 with the Zana Deux/BH Crack. I will try the Beyer T1 next to see if there is an overall lack of synergy with the high impedance HPs.

Thanks for your impressions Kothganesh

I'd like to see how it does with the HE6, but I'm sensing that there may be a reason LH didn't offer that Hifiman HP as a bundle...but would gladly be wrong on that assumption.

To be fair the HD800 will sound great on OTL amps against planars in general, just as your XCs probably are better with the Pulse than with the ZD or Crack.

Besides the HE6 pairing, can you provide us a glimpse of the Pulse as a DAC with the ZD/Crack with the Senns?

Mar 24, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #6,587 of 13,800

I see that they've given themselves until the end of 2nd quarter to fully ship the Sfi, which is quite a long time from "shipping 3rd week of March", given how few Sfi units were actually sold.

It's par for the course at this point, so many delays, I've just about lost count.

I almost don't care anymore excepting I expect with this level of delay that when these units finally do ship, they have been thoroughly tested, and don't have a myriad of firmware bugs ect... hopefully this additional time can be used to get both the display board firmware and the operational firmware running completely smooth and bug-free.

T.T I still remember when I honestly thought they were going to ship it out on the second week of February. Does anyone know what is causing the delays? Iirc, there were actually quite a few people who ordered the Sfi so I don't know why the shipping status is so behind the xfi...

Mar 24, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #6,588 of 13,800
Perhaps partially because the Xfi is actually simpler than the Sfi? The Sfi is the Xfi plus summing to single-ended outputs. Inverting one and summing isn't as easy as it sounds. Nailing down the Xfi top to bottom lets them focus exclusively on that for the Sfi. If I were producing the products, I'd do all the Xfi models first.

Mar 24, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #6,589 of 13,800
  It works great with the orthodynamic cans - Audez'e LCD-X really sounds great. The upper end in particular just opened up a tad more than I hear it from my Gungnir/Mojo combo. Having owned the HE 500 previously, I assume it will work very well with most Hifiman HPs (I say most since I need to test it with my HE 6 but that's a different beast altogether). Frankly, its not that great with the HD 800. No amount of twiddling around with the settings helped in getting the SQ and the overall experience I get when I use the 800 with the Zana Deux/BH Crack. I will try the Beyer T1 next to see if there is an overall lack of synergy with the high impedance HPs.

The FTM filter is by far the best choice for the filter (of course one needs to have the femto clock upgrade). 

I do not have any Hifiman headphones yet, but I have read the HE-560's sound really good with the Pulse. They will probably be my next purchase.

Given how much power the HE-6's require, I have concerns about how well the Pulse will drive them. I believe the HPA (headphone amplifier), which will have much more power, will drive them much better. I am interested in reading your impressions for the HE-6/Pulse combo.

Also, the stack is looking much better without that tape  :)

Jody

Mar 24, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #6,590 of 13,800

I do not have any Hifiman headphones yet, but I have read the HE-560's sound really good with the Pulse. They will probably be my next purchase.

Given how much power the HE-6's require, I have concerns about how well the Pulse will drive them. I believe the HPA (headphone amplifier), which will have much more power, will drive them much better. I am interested in reading your impressions for the HE-6/Pulse combo.

Also, the stack is looking much better without that tape  :)

Jody

Didn't you get a chance to listen to Casey's HE-560 on the Xfi at RMAF? I know it wasn't ideal listening conditions but I thought the Xfi did a fine job.

Mar 24, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #6,591 of 13,800
It works great with the orthodynamic cans - Audez'e LCD-X really sounds great. The upper end in particular just opened up a tad more than I hear it from my Gungnir/Mojo combo. Having owned the HE 500 previously, I assume it will work very well with most Hifiman HPs (I say most since I need to test it with my HE 6 but that's a different beast altogether). Frankly, its not that great with the HD 800. No amount of twiddling around with the settings helped in getting the SQ and the overall experience I get when I use the 800 with the Zana Deux/BH Crack. I will try the Beyer T1 next to see if there is an overall lack of synergy with the high impedance HPs.

The FTM filter is by far the best choice for the filter (of course one needs to have the femto clock upgrade). 

Dead silent with sensitive IEMs?

Mar 24, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #6,592 of 13,800
Mar 25, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #6,595 of 13,800
No noise?

With sensitive IEMs there should be no noise (low gain will keep the noise floor nice and low). I have not had a chance to test a Xfi with my K10U's yet, but based on what I have read I am looking forward to it.

Hopefully someone with sensitive IEMs and a Xfi can provide some input.

Jody

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #6,597 of 13,800
  Any of you guys get the Geek Pulse X ? I'm patiently waiting mine ....

The Pulse X is not shipping yet. Once the Xfi models have shipped, production/shipping of the X will start.

If you want to check on the progress periodically, the following chart is available for reference:

http://lhlabs.com/downloads/updates/dianas_production_progress_chart.pdf

Jody

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #6,599 of 13,800
Jody..... between that chart and the current crowfunding perks shipping status, which one is to be trusted.

Because that chart clearly indicates there is not a snowball chance in hell for X infinite to be released this week.

while the shipping status shows it's starting to ship this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back