Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Nov 10, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #2,566 of 13,800
Quote:
  so we have 6 months to use it [Geek Pulse Xfi and/or LPS/4] whatever we want, and then send it back to LHLabs to get a new Geek Soul ?

Yes, at your own expense.

Quote:
  ( Maybe the inner part is the same, we only get a new chassic and a LPS for god sake ? )

Yeah, pretty much. 

1. A new heat and air-flow optimized T-6061 Aluminum chassis with non-parallel walls that was inspired by Da Vinci DAC's industrial design.
  2. An ultra-low-noise bipolar power circuit.

Not sure if the second point is brought in from the LPS or not.

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #2,567 of 13,800

Im eyeing the Geek Soul. Its just a DAC? Is it the same DAC in the Pulse plus tubes?
M

Soul is more than just a DAC, it's an all-in-one chassis containing:
the DAC + Headphone Amp (solid state), LPS, balanced output (solid state) and single-ended outputs (SS in Geek Soul or Tubes in Geek Soul Tube).

(corrected many posts from now)

Nov 10, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #2,568 of 13,800

Soul is more than just a DAC, it's an all-in-one chassis containing:
the DAC + Headphone Amp (solid state), LPS, balanced ouput (tube optional or solid state based on your purchase) and single-ended outputs (solid state).

believe I have the order right as to which outputs have the tube stage....
corrected above.

from Larry H:
* Geek Soul Xfi
DAC IC --> Analog Stage 1: IV --> Analog Stage 2: Gain & Analog LPF --> Analog Stage 3: Balance Output buffer via tubes

Geek Soul Tube:

From IGG page
Geek Soul Tube
Tube lover, eh? Yeah, you are. What we've done here is replaced the single-ended output from Geek Soul Xfi with a single-ended no-negative feedback tube buffer stage.

Larry has indicated that the Balanced XLR output, on the Soul Tube, will be solid state just like the Soul Xfi and Pulse Xfi so on the Soul Tube version.

07 Nov 2014 01:28
  1. Larry Ho
Geek Soul, to Tube or not ?!
And one thing I don't know if I write clearly enough here:

Geek Soul Tube will give you the flexibility of both Solid State and Tube. Matching SS with Balance and Tubes with SE is the way to go. If you don't like the tube, you could un-plug it and using balance out of Geek Soul Tube, no problem.
And vise versa.
wink.png

Also, I want to confirm that again. In SQ point of view, Geek Soul X fi will be exactly the same like Geek Pulse X fi.

Cheers,
Larry

Single Ended RCAs = Tube Output
Balanced XLRs = Solid State Output

Nov 10, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #2,569 of 13,800
Am I the only one who just wants my plain vanilla Pulse? You know, the original idea of a good quality DAC and headphone amp for a reasonable price?
smily_headphones1.gif

It's now been over a year since I put up my cash, and I'm hoping they'll actually ship soon. I'll leave the fancy $2K tube models to those of fatter pocketbooks and more rarified ears....

Nov 10, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #2,570 of 13,800
jwong,

The good news for you is the simple vanilla Pulse is the model destined to start shipping Nov 14.

Nov 10, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #2,571 of 13,800
  Am I the only one who just wants my plain vanilla Pulse? You know, the original idea of a good quality DAC and headphone amp for a reasonable price?
smily_headphones1.gif

It's now been over a year since I put up my cash, and I'm hoping they'll actually ship soon. I'll leave the fancy $2K tube models to those of fatter pocketbooks and more rarified ears....

Nope, you are not the only one. I don't know how, but I was able to resist the urge to take advantage of the seemingly endless stream of upgrades and perks. 

Nov 10, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #2,577 of 13,800
smily_headphones1.gif

I am with youn, man.  I just want a vanilla pulse.

Nov 10, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #2,578 of 13,800
Geek Soul prototyping...

No surface finish yet, rougly milled.

IMG_3204.jpg

With Larry and Kayla (designer)

IMG_3173_edit.jpg

Nov 10, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #2,580 of 13,800
Note that Geek Soul will not have a SE headphone output, and the balanced headphone output may be placed on the side or even on the back since Geek Soul is not primarily targeted for headphone listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back