Gear.IGN.com: The future of iRiver
Mar 31, 2004 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

austonia

Headphoneus Supremus
many people here will allready know this stuff

http://gear.ign.com/articles/503/503144p1.html

also noticed a new iPod review there, just posted:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/503/503034p1.html

interesting to note he preferred the sound quality of the iHP over the iPod, even saying the iHP has greater power output. I found the opposite to be true with mine, using Etymotic ER4S. Also, curiously, he noted that his iPod's hard drive spins constantly when connected to iTunes. My 2nd gen iPod doesn't do that. All in all a fair review, worth checking out.

Mar 31, 2004 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 18
I found it funny that the iPod reviewer was claiming to be an audiophile. Then he mentioned what headphones he was using to listen to. Ex70, and Eggos I think. Not bad, but certainly NOT audiophile quality headphones.

I too was surprised to read that he thought iPod's SQ was worse than the rest since most people put it on the same level as Creative.

Who is that guy? I don't think I've ever read one of his reviews. I miss M. Wiley.

Mar 31, 2004 at 3:36 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by slunk007
Who is that guy? I don't think I've ever read one of his reviews. I miss M. Wiley.

Yeah no doubt. Wiley is one of the few mainstream gadget-reviewers who both knows what he's talking about and doesn't pull his punches. If it sucks, he'll let you know.

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:05 PM Post #4 of 18
He was using the MDR-888LP. Universally known as the best quality most musical earbud in known existance. By most people, that is. Not counting canal phones.

They're excellent phones, for $50. Great sound.

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Fish Tank X
He was using the MDR-888LP. Universally known as the best quality most musical earbud in known existance. By most people, that is. Not counting canal phones.

Woh... "Universally known as the best quality most musical earbud in known existance" ..?

perhaps... but only until the "Sony R-10 Mini"
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:44 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Fish Tank X

My mistake. I must not be part of the universe.
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:07 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by slunk007
My mistake. I must not be part of the universe.
biggrin.gif

Me neither...I had the E888's and didn't think they sounded very good at all

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:55 PM Post #8 of 18
For me, the E888s sound great, but you have to get them to fit right to get full range sound. Thin cushions help get great smooth bass as well as the highs. They sound almost as good as the Shure E3s I am trying out. However, the E3s are not as strong on the low bass. Of my headphones, only my Sony MDR-F1 sounds better than the E888s, but they are so MUCH bigger.

Mar 31, 2004 at 8:03 PM Post #9 of 18
Well, there is a slight difference between canal phones (Shure, Ety) and earbuds...

Anyone know where the Audio Technica CM 5, 7, 7ti rank as earbuds?

That iPod reviewer was one dumbass... just kept going off on how "sexy" it looked, and how that was reason enough to buy it.

I'm sorta sick of all these people calling players "sexy"... it's just not really ordinary. Not to mention, it's all completely about personal choice. I personally think the iPod looks like some sort of awkward kitchen appliance... but that's my personal opinion, and I will not say the iPod is the ugliest thing out there, cause I know, that it isn't. No one has the right to say that.

Everyone's all over these celebrities, "oh, she's so sexy, oh he's so good looking, oh oh oh" and I don't give a damn.. they look like ordinary people to me. Hell man, my friends look way more attractive than celebrities... no need to turn iPod into one.

Mar 31, 2004 at 10:31 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

On the top lies a hold switch, an input for the remote, and an input for the headphones.

Whoa! I always wanted a headphone input!

Who buys a MP3 player to look at it? A DAP isn't supposed to be 'sexy', it's supposed to play music.

Apr 1, 2004 at 4:02 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by superjohnny
The iPod is sexy. You're just jealous.

eek.gif

Just curious, to all you folks that call the iPod sexy, do you want to have sex with one?

Apr 1, 2004 at 4:35 AM Post #13 of 18
I think that sexy is being used here in a slightly different way
wink.gif
People also often refer to the W2002 as being "sexy" but it's pretty doubtful that most of those people want to have sex with a pair o headphones.

The ipod isn't sexy in the same way that a beautiful woman (or man) might be, but from a technogeek standpoint it's a very pleasing design. I didn't realize how "sexy" the ipod is until i held one in my hands, it's simple, clean and has a sense of substantiality that's very appealing. Other DAPs might have various technical advantages over the ipod, especially in battery life, but the ipod is one of the slickest things i've seen recently.

But that's just my opinion, everybody has their own sense of aesthetics after all and i certainly understand not liking the appearance of the ipod or any other player. I mean, i have an original Singlepower MPX3, which is not very often praised for its looks, but it fits my aesthetic perfectly
smily_headphones1.gif

My big gripe with that review was in the section on "sound quality" which really seemed to be a review of the ipod's equalizer. If i was reading that review and trying to decide whether or not i wanted to buy an ipod, i would only have been able to figure out that the ipod had a crappy eq and not what it actually sounded like.

Apr 1, 2004 at 4:41 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

My big gripe with that review was in the section on "sound quality" which really seemed to be a review of the ipod's equalizer. If i was reading that review and trying to decide whether or not i wanted to buy an ipod, i would only have been able to figure out that the ipod had a crappy eq and not what it actually sounded like.

I agree. That section on sound quality (with the EX70's no doubt) made me want to pull my hair out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back