Gamma 2 DAC vs Audio-GD DI as a USB to Coax converter?
Oct 16, 2010 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tonsosnot

100+ Head-Fier
I tried to a search, but to no avail, so are there any impressions out there on the use of a Gamma 2 as a converter from USB to Coax? I never planned on using the digital outs on the Gamma 2, but I was going to purchase an Audio-GD Digital Interface for an incoming DAC when I realized this unit can do it instead. Anyone?

Oct 21, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 7
Do you already own the Gamma 2?  If not, it's overkill for what you want to do..  You would actually only be using the Gamma 1 part of the Gamma 2 anyway, which uses the  2707 USB-S/PDIF converter chip. It's an adequate chip, used in the majority of Dacs for USB-S/PDIF conversion but it has sampling rate limitations that some other chips don't have(although they tend to require proprietary drivers)

Oct 22, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 7
Ahh, I figured I can skip replacing the Gamma 2 since an extra DAC might be handy later. Guess not. Thanks for the input!

Oct 22, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #5 of 7
Bordering offtopic, but could you do a small comparision when you get your Ref-9? The y2 has been compared to lower tier Audio-gd gear, but a comparision against the Reference line would be great.

Oct 22, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #6 of 7
Definitely will do a comparison, but I have a feeling it won't be much of a competition. 
basshead.gif

Jan 12, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #7 of 7

MrSlim said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you already own the Gamma 2? If not, it's overkill for what you want to do.. You would actually only be using the Gamma 1 part of the Gamma 2 anyway, which uses the 2707 USB-S/PDIF converter chip. It's an adequate chip, used in the majority of Dacs for USB-S/PDIF conversion but it has sampling rate limitations that some other chips don't have(although they tend to require proprietary drivers)

Now I got it, Thanks for your sharing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back