Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Jun 28, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #2,147 of 2,154
Such ground loop isolators typically contain a cheap transformer that will affect sound quality.

It would appear that the Schiit amp does not have a ground loop breaker inside (i.e., its signal ground is connected directly to its AC ground). If it was a DIY amp then I would recommend a modification, but such mods would surely void Schiit's warranty.

One solution is to always use S/PDIF (coax or optical), as these are both galvanically isolated on the γ2.
Another possible solution is a USB isolator.

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #2,148 of 2,154
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I'm interested in building the Gamma-2. I'm wondering two things: I am planning to use this on my home stereo using my ipad2 playing flac files as a source. I expect to use the usb connection to the dac (using an Apple Camera Connection Kit) and rca connects to the pre-amp.  I searched the forum but I can't find any info on this particular configuration. Do you see any problem with the ipad recognizing the dac or in some other way messing things up?  And second, has anyone written a parts script for digikey or mouser?

Thanks for any help you have to offer.  Jim H.

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #2,149 of 2,154
Oh, and one more thing: If I connect to the ipad2 via usb am I limited to 16bit/44khz?  Some of the flac files are up to 24bit/192khz. Putting aside the debate about whether the 24/192 sampling rate is worth it, does connecting the gamma-2 via usb mean that those flac files will be limited to 16/44?  Or am I missing something fundamental?  Thanks again, Jim H

Jul 24, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #2,150 of 2,154
  Oh, and one more thing: If I connect to the ipad2 via usb am I limited to 16bit/44khz?  Some of the flac files are up to 24bit/192khz. Putting aside the debate about whether the 24/192 sampling rate is worth it, does connecting the gamma-2 via usb mean that those flac files will be limited to 16/44?  Or am I missing something fundamental?  Thanks again, Jim H

Pretty sure all of ipads are usb audio class 2 compliant, and will support 24/192, the lightning based ones certainly do.
You might need to use a USB hub after the camera CC, otherwise get the "this device uses too much power" error. 

Jul 24, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #2,151 of 2,154
The γ2 is capable of 24/192 via its coax or optical inputs, but only 16/48 maximum via USB. If you are interested in 24/192 USB audio in a small form factor, you should look at the new γ1.5. Both will work with iPhone/iPad via the USB Camera connection kit, but through a powered USB hub because the iPhone/iPad cannot supply enough current to power the devices.

Jul 24, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #2,152 of 2,154
The γ2 is capable of 24/192 via its coax or optical inputs, but only 16/48 maximum via USB. If you are interested in 24/192 USB audio in a small form factor, you should look at the new γ1.5. Both will work with iPhone/iPad via the USB Camera connection kit, but through a powered USB hub because the iPhone/iPad cannot supply enough current to power the devices.

Excellent!  I will try that.  It's not so much that I'm convinced that I need 24/192 but I'd like to see if I can hear anything different with the different sampling rates etc.

Jul 24, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #2,153 of 2,154

I took a look at the 1.5 and it looks very interesting. Am I correct in assuming that even though it's a DAC and HP amp I can plug it directly into my stereo pre-amp without a problem? Thanks, JH

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #2,154 of 2,154
I took a look at the 1.5 and it looks very interesting. Am I correct in assuming that even though it's a DAC and HP amp I can plug it directly into my stereo pre-amp without a problem? Thanks, JH

Yes, you can do that.

The fact that it could serve as a headphone amp simply means that it has a bit of gain (3x default) and has very low output impedance (a good thing in any event). If you use it as just a DAC, then you can set the γ1.5's volume knob to somewhere around the 1-2 o'clock position and leave it. Then use your preamp as the master volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back