gaming/studio?
Aug 19, 2011 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jeezus

Head-Fier
a friend of mine wants to get a good pair of headphones that are 200 dollars or less but would only get them if they were good for both gaming(great soundstage) and studio(making beats) usage.

any suggestions?

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #2 of 10
bump?
redface.gif

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 10
Mdr-7509HD

worshiped by producers. Best balance with great comfort. I use the MDR-V6 (little brother) as a gaming can.

No amp needed

Aug 19, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 10
The two are kind of contradicting activities. For good soundstage, you'd want an open pair, but for studio work, you usually want a closed pair to prevent leakage and whatnot. So I don't know what to tell you... General consensus is either the Audio Technica AD700's or Sennheiser HD555 for good gaming. Both are open cans.

Aug 19, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
a friend of mine wants to get a good pair of headphones that are 200 dollars or less but would only get them if they were good for both gaming(great soundstage) and studio(making beats) usage.

any suggestions?

What device(s) will he be plugging the headphones into (details)?

Aug 19, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #6 of 10
K702s have a massive soundstage, and are considered one of the best gaming (competetive) headphones there are. AFAIK, there are a good number of people here who also use them for studio/mixing as well. A bit out of budget, but used ones usually go on here for between $200-225.

-Daniel

Aug 19, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
i'm not sure because he hasn't found out what he is going to buy for the studio yet.

If he is willing to spend $175 on a sound card for his Windows PC, he can plug any headphones in it he want to.
If he is willing to spend $175 on a headphone amplifier, he can plug any headphone he wants to in to it.

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #10 of 10
Closed cans are not a must if your friend is just making beats.  I mean really, anything at all will do if you trust the imaging you're getting from whatever you're using to monitor.  Really one should be auditing one's mixes on a few different setups (headphones, speakers) anyway, just to make sure it'll sound good anywhere.

In a studio, practically, you really only need a closed-back headphone when you're recording so that sound from the headphone does not get into your mics and back into your recording.  And for that purpose, even a cheap closed can will do, if it isolates well and doesn't butcher your ability to monitor your recording.

In my experience, there's a lot to music production, especially just sequencing, that's not going to require a critical-listening level of gear.  You can lay down a sequence using garbage headphones or speakers, and you can continue working on a track in this way until it's time to grab your reference monitor and really do some work on the sound, in which case one pair of even really good headphones is not going to be ideal.

Renowned gaming cans like the AD700 or the K702 are going to be a bit bass shy, but as long as your friend considers this when making a beat, he can account for it in his mix.  With regards to studio use, especially in a budget studio, an awareness of your equipment's characteristics are going to be key, so really if you pick a decent gaming headphone, and just learn exactly what it's going to do to your mix, you'll be doing alright.

And by "you," of course, I am referring to the general "you" that is more likely your beat-making friend.  HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back