Gaming sound card
May 22, 2005 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mmmmcheese

500+ Head-Fier
Hey, I know this topic has been discussed many a time but here goes. I currently am using on-board audio (Sound Max something). I play alot of games and occasionaly listen to music on my computer. I just have my headphones and some 2.1 speakers. So I only need a 2 channel card. What would be a could soundcard that will give me the best of both worlds? I have looked at the:

E-MU 0404
M-Audio 192
M-Audio 2496
Chaintech AV-710

Are any of these any good? Which one would you reccomend? If you have any other sound cards to look at let me know.

May 22, 2005 at 11:36 PM Post #2 of 6
the Audigy is probably the best gaming card out there, and its pretty good for music too.

but since you only need 2 channel and not fancy 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 config.., all the cards you listed will work. i'd say get the emu0404 and be pretty much set with future upgrades.

May 23, 2005 at 11:26 AM Post #3 of 6
You could also look at the M-Audio Revo 5.1. It has a cmoy-quality headphone output as well as a standard line output for your speakers. It has a good DAC (AKM 4358) and has no issues with games.

May 23, 2005 at 11:39 AM Post #4 of 6
I've had problems with the emu and games, so I have a hard time recommending it as a one card does all solution. I generally run the emu for music and the AV710 for games and never have a problem with it.

May 23, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #6 of 6
not hard at all. If you go into sound options in the control panel, one of the two cards will be selected as the "default audio device". Games and the like will automatically use this, as will windows. In most audio players, you can select the output device in the options.

In my case, I have an Audigy 2 ZS as my default sound card, and a modded AV-710 as my secondary card. I just set up kernel streaming in foobar, and select the Via Envy (the AV-710) as my output device. That way, my music, and ONLY my music, goes thru the Envy. Everything else goes to the Audigy.

I have yet to have this cause any problems with games.

P.S. The Audigy 2 is not at all a bad music card. I recently did an A/B test with it and the AV-710, and I could barely even tell the difference. Of course I have since done some modding on the chaintech and it is now quite superior, but stock, the two are actually fairly close to my ears...

Then again, my hearing rolls off at about 15kHz
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back