Gaming-Sennheiser 580's or Beyerdynamic 250-80's?
Oct 12, 2002 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Jodiuh

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello.

I have the Sennheiser 580's, but my question is whether the Beyerdynamics would be better. I know they have a lower impedance than the 580's so would I need an amp for them too? (which I do not have) Right now, I'm using the Klipsch promedia headphone jack for my 580's. I will use these for movies and music as well, but the primary purpose is gaming.

What do you think guys?

Would the Beyer's sound nicer out of my Klipsch jack?

Or should I just keep my Senny's and buy an amp?

Thanks!!

Jod
wink.gif
!!

P.S. I can take the Senns back...I just got them.

Oct 12, 2002 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 24
You should be able to get a META42 amp built for you at around the price of the Beyers. That's what I would do, rather than buy more headphones and want an amp later anyway.

The Beyers would probably (from what I have read) sound good out of the ProMedia jack, but even then an amp is always better.

Oct 12, 2002 at 5:13 AM Post #3 of 24
I think beyer dt250-80 is better. No amp is required(with one will of course improve slightly). ALso, the bass in dt250-80 and hd580 is about the same( I mean the impact.. some even prefer beyer)
Furthermore, beyer dt250-80 serves more purpose.. when you do music listening they do not make ur mp3 harsher..
It can be used for portable and the isolation may come in handy when you do gaming in LAN parties whatsoever.

the meta + hd 580 will cost you more money and likely to give abt the same result(given your source is not very good.. computer, mp3s such).

One thing to take note though.. do not use the headphone jack on the promedia.. connect the beyer straight to your soundcard.. the promedia makes the beyer sound like cheapo 30-40 headphones... no joke.

Oct 12, 2002 at 6:49 AM Post #4 of 24
I've tried Senn HD590's, Beyer DT250-80's, and Ultrasone HFI-650's.. Out of those, the DT250-80's and Ultrasone HFI-650's are better for gaming since they're closed, with the HD590's, which are open, the footsteps weren't as distinct and audible as the closed headphones.

So that would probably cancel out the 580's for gaming.. leaving the beyers and ultras. I like the ultras better than the beyers for music and movies.

I agree with guyferd about not plugging your headphones to the promedia headphone jack. not only does it make the sound worse than plugging it directly into the card, it for me, made stereo imaging/enemy positioning horrible for gaming

if you like to know, you can get the ultras from jan at meier-audio.com

Oct 12, 2002 at 7:24 AM Post #5 of 24
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

I have no idea what to do now...

Plugging the 580's in the soundcard make them TOO bright!!

I thought they sounded fine out of the promedia, though.

*dumb look*

Ack!!

Ok...screw the money...I'll do it.

I will get an amp...a cheap one, though.

So now what?

Jod
wink.gif
*is very confused*

Oct 12, 2002 at 7:27 AM Post #6 of 24
I'm leaning towards the Beyers since they're closed and I like that feeling better.

Would an amp make it "THAT" much better, though?

Jod
wink.gif

Oct 12, 2002 at 7:33 AM Post #7 of 24
Yeah... the promedia and infact I can safely say all computer speakers has bad headphone out.. it is not like the one you can find in hi-fi receivers or cd players. You won't really notice it with a cheapo 20-40 headphone/earphone when you connect, but a good audiophile headphone is definately noticeable.

So having less chain in the link will probably make them better( in other words: straight connection)

With the beyer, you do not really need an amp. Unlesss you have lots of cash.. because when I plug my beyer to creek obh-11 the sound doesn't improve much. The sound is more opened up/revealing with slightly better bass but I think it doesn't worth the money.

Save the money for upgrade if you wish to in the near future, but you can keep the beyer
smily_headphones1.gif

they are very musical phone.

Oct 12, 2002 at 9:19 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Jodiuh
I'm leaning towards the Beyers since they're closed and I like that feeling better.

Would an amp make it "THAT" much better, though?

Jod
wink.gif

A small amp works pretty well on the DT250-80. Unfortunately I see them being recommended anything and everything by fanboys - even for DJ applications! (and I can tell you that they definitely don't have the capacity for that!
biggrin.gif
)

The thing that surprised me though is how much the character of the sound doesn't really change through amping. Many phones gain extra 'body' but the DT250-80 is still this 'ok' phone with a recessed treble, adequate detail, adequate imaging and good bass. Frankly speaking, some DJ phones sound better than this.

Although I did try amped DT250-80's I went back to the practically open phones (the Beyer DT231) for gaming and it works pretty well, and I frankly don't see a reason why the HD580 shuld be a problem with a decent small amp - although a decent big amp might be better!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2002 at 9:23 AM Post #9 of 24
The promedia have plenty of power to drive the senns. I don't think you can do much better than that. A higher quality amp would give you more details in music, but would not do much more for gaming.

To sum up, you have plenty of power for gaming, you may want to increase quality for music via a higher quality amp.

Oct 12, 2002 at 8:05 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
The thing that surprised me though is how much the character of the sound doesn't really change through amping. Many phones gain extra 'body' but the DT250-80 is still this 'ok' phone with a recessed treble, adequate detail, adequate imaging and good bass. Frankly speaking, some DJ phones sound better than this.

Don't let this isolated opinion convince you the DT250 aren't good. The DT250 are much, much better than "OK." I haven't heard a single "DJ" headphone that come close for actually listening to music. It's safe to say that most people on Head-Fi will agree.

Oct 12, 2002 at 10:21 PM Post #12 of 24
I'm not going to argue with you MacDEF - but to anyone else, which would you trust? Someone who has had one phone after another, someone who's tried the phones in a shop, or - someone who can pick up any of the phones including the DT250-80 on demand and A/B them because he has them all?

That's the last I'll say on this matter.

Oct 13, 2002 at 1:22 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
I'm not going to argue with you MacDEF

LOL! Sure, we'll believe that when... well, when it doesn't happen
wink.gif

Quote:

- but to anyone else, which would you trust? Someone who has had one phone after another, someone who's tried the phones in a shop, or - someone who can pick up any of the phones including the DT250-80 on demand and A/B them because he has them all?

Magic, for once, just let it go. I think it's fair to say that you do NOT want to start turning this into a personal thing about who people should "trust." In fact, I had a nice paragraph here addressing that issue, but I edited it out because it sounded silly and the truth is pretty self-evident.

P.S. It speaks volumes about your credibility that you continually accuse me of owning everything "one after another" or of only trying headphones "in a shop."

When you have a minority opinion, deal with it. As I said in another thread, many of your recommendations go against those made by many people who have a heck of a lot of experience with headphones (not just me by any means). And that's fine... the problem is that rather than just stating your opinion, you have some desperate need to "prove" that you're "right" and everyone else is wrong. If someone makes a post pointing out that your opinion is in the minority, deal with it -- because it's true -- rather than continually trying to beat everyone over the head about how much "more qualified" you are.

Your continual attempts to discredit everyone else's opinions are not only tiring, they're offensive to those on Head-Fi (and there are many) who happen to disagree with you. And they're making you look even more ridiculous than your posts about "looking good" ever did.

Quote:

That's the last I'll say on this matter.

If only that were the truth, Head-Fi would be a happier place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back