Gaming: Music or Speakers
May 1, 2004 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

zachary80

1000+ Head-Fier
Which do you all prefer to use for gaming?

I only game a little bit (online first person shooters), but I have always preferred by headphones(hd497, mdr7509, and now hd580) over my computer speakers (Klipsch Promedia 4.1), which are supposed to be great for games

May 1, 2004 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 26
I use both. Maybe there should be an option for that?

May 1, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 26
Headphones, definitely.

1 \ /\/1|| 0\/\/|\|z0rz j00, f00!

Heh. (no, I don't talk/type like that. But it's fun making fun of it)

(-:Stephonovich:)

May 2, 2004 at 1:05 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I use both. Maybe there should be an option for that?

Maybe, but I can't edit the poll anyway. The feature that lets you say why you needed to edit is pretty neat also (just noticed it -- see first post)

May 2, 2004 at 1:57 AM Post #6 of 26
Cheap semi closed headphones are the best for gaming.

May 2, 2004 at 1:11 PM Post #8 of 26
Definately headphones: more of a in-the-game feeling. And you can play at nighttime
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2004 at 11:17 PM Post #9 of 26
definitely headphones. my headphones are much better at directionality than 2.1 speakers, especially in fps (first person shooter) games.

May 2, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #10 of 26
Speakers for me. While I do entirely love headphones for their positioning, which gives me an extra edge I sometimes need, it's not NEARLY as much fun as feeling gunshots in your bones and turning up your bass dial even farther after that.
biggrin.gif
basshead.gif
Having good PC speakers helps. (Klipsch PM4.1's)

May 3, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #11 of 26
My Klipsch 2.1s are in semi-retirement since I purchased the Pioneer 800 Dolby Headphone unit. I used the DSP Pro (came with my Senn 580) for a bit and it was OK.

I use Pioneer for console gaming. Its eerie to hear a car trying to pass you from the left rear (Project Gotham Racing2 - XBox). There is an added tension to stealth action games (Splinter Cell games). Directional cues especially in Dolby Digital is very very good. I can't wait for Thief - XBox is released. Hmmm I should try the Pioneer with Halo.

And as saint.panda said, I can play at night with headphones.

Regards - reynman

May 3, 2004 at 4:30 AM Post #12 of 26
as the title suggests, I like to listen to music during gaming... but there wasn't a selection for that so I picked my other choice for gaming which is headphones. I don't game too much and only for fun so why not have some music going on when I do?

May 3, 2004 at 11:27 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
as the title suggests, I like to listen to music during gaming... but there wasn't a selection for that so I picked my other choice for gaming which is headphones. I don't game too much and only for fun so why not have some music going on when I do?

That was a bad typo (poll is whether you use headphones or speakers when you game), although it could be another poll

May 3, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary80
That was a bad typo....

naw, it was a good typo.
smily_headphones1.gif
I really do listen to music not related to the game on my headphones while I game.
biggrin.gif
who cares about ambushes when you are in audio bliss.
tongue.gif

May 3, 2004 at 6:25 PM Post #15 of 26
I've got exactly the same audio setup as the pollster (HD580's and Klipsch 4.1's) but I prefer the speakers. Positional audio (Audigy 2) really heightens the tension when the bad guys are walking around looking for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back