Gaming Headset
Jun 25, 2014 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

wewtwewt

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I was wondering if I could get some pointers on a new gaming headset.

Budget - £50 British Sterling
Uses - Gaming + VoIP
Source - Computer(Asus Xonar DG soundcard)
Preferred Size - Full sized over the ear strongly preferred

Honestly, I just want a headset that has a very sturdy microphone that isn't hyper-sensitive and for it to just be reliable. I mainly use DT770 Pros for listening to music at my PC, so I don't want something else for music. Desktop microphones take up too much space on my small desk with two monitors, so that is out of the question. I've considered clip-on microphones, but I've yet to see anything that doesn't suggest they're complete garbage.

I've looked at two Logitech models(G430 and G230), but I've read there are issues with the microphones on them, that they suddenly cut out randomly. Everything out there seems to be surround sound now, and my experience from testing out 5.1 and 7.1 headphones is that they're gimmicky at best. As long as I can hear voices over VoIP and they can hear me talking(but not me scratching my face), and the cans cover my ears, I'm good.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Jun 25, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 6
If you're happy with your current headphones, you should check out the new ModMic. Check on YouTube for the review by LinusTechTips that's version 4.0 (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links, sorry), he has a really good review on them with an audio sample.

Jun 26, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #3 of 6
I'm definitely considering this. It's a bit pricey for a microphone, but at the end of the day it's within the budget I set for a headset, and I get to use headphones that I am happy with. Plus the sticking power of the adhesive seems pretty crazy:

Jun 26, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #4 of 6
As others have suggested, I'd just be looking into a new mic. Surround headphones are indeed gimmicky at best - multiple speakers in one earcup won't create surround effect - that has to be done via software. And really, replacing headphones you like just to get a mic is not worth it IMO.

If you're gaming at a table, I'd really recommend trying to make space on your desk for a microphone. Microphone does not necessarily have to be standing on the actual desk, you can, for example, try fitting it on one of your monitors.
Yeah, sure, having it at your headphones may seem more appealing at first, but having the microphone on the desk is way more convenient, especially because it doesn't mean an extra cable on your headphones and will generally be easier to cable-manage.

Jun 26, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #5 of 6
  I'm definitely considering this. It's a bit pricey for a microphone, but at the end of the day it's within the budget I set for a headset, and I get to use headphones that I am happy with. Plus the sticking power of the adhesive seems pretty crazy:

Yeah the new ModMic 4.0 is actually very high quality, much better than the older versions. I'd recommend it solely based on Linus's mic test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back