Gaming headset with position audio for sensitive heads?
post-15857725
Post #1 of 3

MonarchX

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
I want to improve my audio experience in games via high quality headphones and via better positional audio in games like Rainbow Six: Siege. I am not an aduiphile. I don't need top-end, just high-end. I don't plan to spend more than $500 on everything.

Many headphones give me headaches because of their clamp strength. For example, Sennheiser HD-280 Pro are horrible for me, even if I modify their clamp strength via prolonged stretching (when not in use).

It is likely that due to sensitivity of head and jaw muscles around my ears, there are no headphones that wouldn't leave some discomfort, but the idea is to minimize that discomfort. Physical comfort around my ears and on my head is the #1 priority for me. If headphone use results in headaches (due to physical pressure, not audio volume), then I can't use headphones...

Whichever headphones I get must be compatible impedance levels for whichever soundcard I use, which is ASUS Xonar DGX (with UNi Xonar drivers) at the moment. I think it has impedance output of 13ohm, but I am not sure. There is supposed to be a soundcard-to-headphone impedance ratio for optimal results, but I don't remember what that is either.

UNi Xonar drivers are awesome when it comes to latency. My LatencyMon results support that, but ASUS Xonar DGX only supports Dolby Headphone for positional audio. Dolby Headphone works, but positional cues are not as good as the ones in CMSS-3D and SBX Pro.

AFAIK, only Creative cards support CMSS-3D and SBX Pro, but Creative soundcard drivers are basically bloatware and driver latency spikes occur in every Creative driver release... There is also Razer Surround, but its on the same level as Dolby Headphone, not as impressive as CMSS-3D and SBX Pro.

Some recommend Audeze Mobius.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)