Gaming Headset Setup
Jan 5, 2015 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

DrZeus

New Head-Fier
So I have a pair of AD-700x cans and want to properly set them up with my Xbox One to be able to hear game audio as well as chat audio.

Currently I have a Tritton AX720 Dolby Decoder box which takes the optical audio from my Xbox and then allows me to plug in my headphones into this cable.

This works all fine and dandy but I want to double check with you guys if my mic is going to work before buying it.

I'm thinking I'll get this audio adapter with this mic and plug the headphones and mic into the input on the Tritton cable. Then run a 3.5mm - 3.5mm jumper from the input on the side of the cable to the input on my Xbox controller (I have the necessary adapter).

So my question is: does anyone foresee a problem with this setup? Or am I all good to go? I just want to make sure before I go out and buy stuff.

Thanks!

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #2 of 2
  So I have a pair of AD-700x cans and want to properly set them up with my Xbox One to be able to hear game audio as well as chat audio.

Currently I have a Tritton AX720 Dolby Decoder box which takes the optical audio from my Xbox and then allows me to plug in my headphones into this cable.

This works all fine and dandy but I want to double check with you guys if my mic is going to work before buying it.

I'm thinking I'll get this audio adapter with this mic and plug the headphones and mic into the input on the Tritton cable. Then run a 3.5mm - 3.5mm jumper from the input on the side of the cable to the input on my Xbox controller (I have the necessary adapter).

So my question is: does anyone foresee a problem with this setup? Or am I all good to go? I just want to make sure before I go out and buy stuff.

Thanks!

This is long winded, I just wanted to post to add my experience to the body of knowledge around the Xbox One as far as headsets (namely the DSS2 and Mixamp Pro) go:

I have always been a headset and speakers Xbox gamer, since I have a pretty sweet retro tower speaker setup with some Wharfedale 87's and 83's that pump out some excellent sound and bass.  I've recently been looking to get into a headset setup so I can get a better mix of game audio and chat audio without basically covering up my right ear with a chat headset.  Also I like to crank up the volume without my game audio being picked up by my mic :)

Enter the Astro A40 + Mixamp.  I picked these up at Best Buy on a whim, picked up an Xbox One chat adapter, and went home to pwn some n00bs on Titanfall.   Lo and behold, all of my friends complained about the muffled sounding microphone chat.

Upset because I had just dropped $280 (over half the cost of the XB1) on a setup that was not 100% perfect, I began exploring my options.  I have a set of AKG K271 MkII's that I enjoy for music, so I figured I'd try a solution that let me use what I already have.

I picked up a Turtle Beach DSS2:

www.turtlebeach.com/.../33

An AntLion Modmic 3.0:

www.modmic.com/.../modmic-3-0

You could also go with something like the V-Moda BoomPro, I may have gone this route had I known about it (that said, the Modmic is super crisp sounding, noise cancelling, and looks great, I recommend it)

v-moda.com/boompro-microphone

A "HeadSet Buddy" 3.5mm mic/headphone Y splitter:

www.amazon.com/.../ref=cm_lmf_tit_2

and the Xbox One Stereo Chat Adapter:

www.walmart.com/.../35046406

Then did the following:

1. Plug the XB1 Stereo Chat Adapter into your controller

2. Plug the DSS2 into the Xbox One's Optical Out using the included TOSlink cable

3. Plug the DSS2 into the Xbox One's rear USB port using the included USB cable

4. Plug the HeadSet buddy into the Xbox One Stero Chat Adapter

5. Plug the Modmic into the Mic port on the Headset buddy

6. Plug the 3.5mm to 3.5mm extension cable (included w/ the DSS2) from the Headphone port on the Headset Buddy to the AUX port on the DSS2

7. Plug your headphones into the headphone port on the DSS2

8. Update your Xbox One controller from the System menu

9. Press the Party icon on the Xbox One Chat Adapter repeatedly until it beeps, this changes the balance on the adapter to output only Chat audio

10.Went to Xbox One Output settings and changed the Optical Out to Bitstream and Dolby Digital

11. Crank up the m-f'ing volume and play some Forza 5.

12. Profit

Thank you Astro for having a sh1tty product, this let me discover a great custom solution.

Astro A40 wired solution w/ bassy but not great headphones and muffled chat audio, + XB1 Chat Adapter:  $280

DSS2 + Modmic + Headset Buddy + XB1 Chat Adapter + Bring Your Own Headphones: $115

The chat volume is nice and loud, the DSS2 puts out some great sounding audio (and has quite a few EQ and virtual speaker placement options).  For those of you that doubt virtual surround, I assure you that the technology has come a long way, you can hear footsteps behind you in Battlefield/COD and Titanfall.  The engine noise from my Ford GT40 in Forza 5 comes from right behind me.

Plus with this rig I can upgrade my headphones at any time and won't need to replace any other components in my setup.

Pardon the long post, but this thread showed up in one of my searches while I was struggling w/ this.  This has been a bit of a journey for me so I wanted to help others if I could :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back