Gaming Headphones?
Jul 25, 2012 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Tane

New Head-Fier
So let me start out by saying I've been lurking the forums for the past few days reading as much as I can on reviews about different headphones and ones that are better for gaming and ones that aren't. Even read all of Mad Lust Envy's reviews. I finally decided to register on the forums and ask a few questions I still am not sure of.

Before I start with the page of questions, I am looking for a pair of full sized headphones that will be used for strictly gaming only. Budget $50 - $250. Music not so much maybe occasianlly.

I have a pair of Astro A40s with the mixamp. I have been reading they are at most "decent" headphones you are mainly paying for the name. I upgraded from TB x11s and they sounded like heaven to me. I got them for a killer deal off craiglist so I don't feel to bad. The question is I know they are designed more for console gaming, but are they even high quality headphones? I really want a pair of headphones with good soundstage(assuming this is where you can pinpoint where the noise is coming from?), but also that sensation of immersive feeling. I play all types of games from FPS to RTS to RPGs. I read that the AD700, HD 598, or Takstar 2050 are good starters. Can anyone suggest more or one which fits my needs better? I also read the onboard sound card for DAC is quite garbage and would need a decent sound card looks like a lot of people are suggestion the Xonar DG or DGX. Would having a good sound card actually help the A40s with the mixamp?

TLDR; Have Astro A40 w/ mixamp, good or garbage? Budget ~$300 want full sized headphones for PC gaming. Going to buy either a Xonar DG or DGX with plans to upgrade to Xonar Essence STX with in 1 month.

Thanks all sorry for the long post!

Jul 25, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 15
The AKG Q701 are amazing for gaming.
I don't even use virtual surround sound, just the natural soundstage of it allows me to sound whore very well.

Though, the AKGs are on the higher end of your budget.

Jul 25, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:
The AKG Q701 are amazing for gaming.
I don't even use virtual surround sound, just the natural soundstage of it allows me to sound whore very well.
Though, the AKGs are on the higher end of your budget.

AKG Q701 was also one of the headphones I have been reading countless reviews on also

Jul 25, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 15
Yeah the the TB were pretty terrible I have a pair of A40s with the mixamp but I think those will go to my brother when I pick up a real pair of headphones.

Aug 5, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #8 of 15
+1 Q701

Ultrasones

Amped DT990 :)

Aug 6, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 15
I'll be using my HD800 for the first gaming session since I got them now >.<
Not even going to use virtual surround sound, I didn't find I needed it even for the Q701.

Aug 6, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #10 of 15
I have a set of the AKG K701's and I really like them for gaming. I mainly play RPG's though. Also not sure how different these are from the Q701's. My son likes them for FPS but says he wishes the explosions had more impact. To me personally I always like the fact they were light on explosions let me be able to focus on other things. I am in no means competitive, but I do really enjoy them for gaming.

Aug 6, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #11 of 15
Aug 6, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #12 of 15
I have a set of the AKG K701's and I really like them for gaming. I mainly play RPG's though. Also not sure how different these are from the Q701's. My son likes them for FPS but says he wishes the explosions had more impact. To me personally I always like the fact they were light on explosions let me be able to focus on other things. I am in no means competitive, but I do really enjoy them for gaming.

Well someone else made a good list of headphones for gaming and he also rated them in 2 different classes.
There's the "fun" factor which has impactful explosions and makes the game feel a bit more alive or there's the competitive factor which is incredible clarity, separation and soundstaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back