Gaming Headphones
Aug 26, 2011 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Wizzard

New Head-Fier
Greetings y'all.

I've seen plenty of "gaming headphone/headset" threads but there is a problem. Most of these threads have been made by American users but I'm British and the headphones usually suggested (AD700 & HD 555) are ridiculously overpriced in UK so I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.

I will only use these headphones/headset for music & gaming. I shall be using the for competitive gaming (so 5.1/7.1 gimmicks are useless and positioning is everything) and bass-heavy music (Drum'n'Bass and Electro House generally). Comfort is extremely important as currently I won a pair of G35's and they're fine but they're not comfortable at all (hurts my melon after an hour) and due to me having a stretched ear (I wear a metal tunnel), I get quite a lot of pressure on that part of the ear which makes my ear go crazy. Another thing is that I'm not all that keen on spending over £70. I've seen a pair of Corsair HS1 (Yes, they are branded as "gaming" headphones but hold on!) running for £40 which is ridiculously low considering that they come with an USB soundcard (which probably isn't particularly good but considering that I have an onboard, it's probably better :D) and they're supposed to be very comfortable (which in reality outweighs anything else).

So it appears that I'm presenting you with an impossible task but hey, maybe someone will find something really cool.

And knowing that this is Head-Fi, just for reference, I shan't stretch my wallet any further :]

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I've forgotten to mention that I shall only use these headphones on my computer which (unfortunately) has an onboard soundcard. So no amps or anything of that sort. I might invest in an soundcard at a later stage but for now it's just me and onboard.

Aug 26, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #3 of 18
Delete this

Aug 26, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #4 of 18

Goldring DR150's have become a contender (I used to own them but can't remember whether they were good or bad :D).
I only found out about the Superlux recently, are you certain that they have the bass that I might want? I read somewhere that they quite simply have no bass but I shall research them some more.
I've heard of the RX700's and everyone has been saying wonderful things so I'll research them some more.

Thanks for your input.

EDIT: I've kind went over it and I have partially striked out Superlux since they are as I suspected, usually referred to as monitors (what you put it, comes out but that's not what I'm looking for).
I'm feeling very confused about whether it's worth paying 2x as much for RX900 over RX700 and which is better, either the JVC's or Goldrings. 

Aug 26, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #5 of 18

Quote:

Goldring DR150's have become a contender (I used to own them but can't remember whether they were good or bad :D).
I only found out about the Superlux recently, are you certain that they have the bass that I might want? I read somewhere that they quite simply have no bass but I shall research them some more.
I've heard of the RX700's and everyone has been saying wonderful things so I'll research them some more.

Thanks for your input.

At the price range your looking at, you can get headphones with heavy bass, but it's not a quality bass, more like a mushy thump.
The HD-668Bs have decent bass, but should offer decent all around sound.
I like the  HD-668Bs semi-open design.
I believe Superlux "borrowed" AKG designs for the cups.
There are some threads dedicated to Superlux, read them.
JVC RX headphone make you look like a Cyberman, but good bang for the buck.

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #7 of 18
Have you tried the second hand market? Head-Fi's trading forum is a good place, but just be somewhat careful and have some common sense could get you some very decent gear for far less money than new. However I am not really familiar with headphones at your price range.

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #8 of 18

Quote:
Have you tried the second hand market? Head-Fi's trading forum is a good place, but just be somewhat careful and have some common sense could get you some very decent gear for far less money than new. However I am not really familiar with headphones at your price range.

I've had a quick look through and the options are limited. You rarely see anything of this price range popping up and generally there's far more American deals (and no way I'm going to buy something internationally) than UK or even Europe. However, I'll look over it again. Maybe I've missed something.

EDIT: Nothing there.

Aug 27, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #9 of 18
I've heard that the 662's were the real bass monsters from the superlux line...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_hd662.htm

Less than £30 and look pretty comfy

*Edit* tell ya what, if ya try these and don't like them, i'll buy them off ya for cost + shipping so i can give them a blast.

Aug 27, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #11 of 18
Aug 27, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
I've heard that the 662's were the real bass monsters from the superlux line...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_hd662.htm

Less than £30 and look pretty comfy

*Edit* tell ya what, if ya try these and don't like them, i'll buy them off ya for cost + shipping so i can give them a blast.

I might take you up on this offer but I still have to do some research anyway.

Aug 27, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #13 of 18

Quote:

Thanks for your input.

EDIT: I've kind went over it and I have partially striked out Superlux since they are as I suspected, usually referred to as monitors (what you put it, comes out but that's not what I'm looking for).
I'm feeling very confused about whether it's worth paying 2x as much for RX900 over RX700 and which is better, either the JVC's or Goldrings. 

There are some threads on this forum for doing modifications on the RX700/RX900
I own the RX900s, but have not used them in a year (they are in pieces for modifications).
The RX900s has more bass and better pads then the RX700.
The RX900 is 64-Ohm, the RX700 is 48-Ohm
To keep costs down, you get the RX700 and a low cost sound card like the Asus Xonar DG.
Personally I would get the RX900s over the RX700s

Aug 30, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #14 of 18
Settled on the RX900 because of comfort issues.
Haven't ordered them yet but will do within the coming week and I'll give my opinion once I get them.

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #15 of 18
Delete this post, recommended something out of the OP's price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back