Gaming Headphones
Feb 26, 2006 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Dresden Doll

New Head-Fier
I want to get a new set of headphones. I really need some audiophile Gamers to share with me there experience with different sets. I have already used two different ones & have been so-so impressed. I'm looking for a GREAT pair of surround sound headphones with an awesome mic built in. I'm willing to spend up to $125.00 but they better be DAMN GOOD. If you post please only post with hands on knowledge of your headphones. Thanks!!

1. Zalman 5.1 The sound was GREAT but no built in mic. ($60.00)
2. SteelPad 5H (Current ones) these sound pretty good but they are NOT 5.1 and the mic is HORRIBLE. ($125.00)

I keep hearing this headphones are simply amazing for the cost:
Sennheiser PC160
http://www.sennheisercommunications....roductId=PC160

Feb 26, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 15
not sure about the surround sound... but its hard to beat the ATH-a series in gaming... you can look at the a500, a700 and a900 anything else would be out of your budget... they dont require an amp to be driven and they really sound awesome for gaming...

they dont have mics...but you can probably buy a mic seperately because im not sure if headphones with mics come close to rivalling these in gaming... if im wrong someone please correct me
tongue.gif

try a search on a500, a700 or a900 depending on how your budget is and how far your willing to extend it

Feb 26, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dresden Doll
1. Zalman 5.1 The sound was GREAT but no built in mic. ($60.00)

If you think those sounded great, you'll be amazed by anything from Sennheiser. The Zalmans are complete crap. My Sennheiser HD414s from 1968 blew them away in terms of sound quality. No, I am not exaggerating. I bought the Zalmans per advice from a store clerk who claimed to be an audio engineer. I later found out that he was full of ****.

If you MUST have a boom mic, go with the Sennheiser PC160s or 150s. If you can live with a clip-on mic, there are much better alternatives. I.e. any good stereo headphones with a clip-on mic. Unfortunatley clip-ons are usually omnidirectional and don't block out sound, so the PC160s are probably a good choice for you.

Feb 26, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon
If you think those sounded great, you'll be amazed by anything from Sennheiser. The Zalmans are complete crap. My Sennheiser HD414s from 1968 blew them away in terms of sound quality. No, I am not exaggerating. I bought the Zalmans per advice from a store clerk who claimed to be an audio engineer. I later found out that he was full of ****.

If you MUST have a boom mic, go with the Sennheiser PC160s or 150s. If you can live with a clip-on mic, there are much better alternatives. I.e. any good stereo headphones with a clip-on mic. Unfortunatley clip-ons are usually omnidirectional and don't block out sound, so the PC160s are probably a good choice for you.

Getting the Sennheiser PC160's just might be the way I go. I'm hearing alot of people tell me there VERY good for gaming & music. And I MUST have a mic attached since we talk alot playing BF2 & DDO. Thanks for the fat replies I'll keep wating this thread.

Feb 26, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 15
I'd easily give up the ability to have a boom mic for the sound quality of the DT 770-80.

Feb 26, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #6 of 15
For $125, you can get an ATH-A500 and a zalman clip on mic if you need it. It will be a lot better than the other things you looked at.

Feb 26, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #7 of 15
I second the ATH-A500/900, just use a clip on mic and you wont regret it

If you do go down the PC160 road i reccomend getting the SK edition, it looks way better .

Feb 26, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
I'd easily give up the ability to have a boom mic for the sound quality of the DT 770-80.

Then he would need an amp, good luck getting a Dt770/80 for that price with an amp.

Feb 26, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibo
Then he would need an amp, good luck getting a Dt770/80 for that price with an amp.

You don't need an amp to enjoy the DT 770-80. They sound good without one, but are cleaner and punchier with one.

Feb 26, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #10 of 15
I'm new to really good headphones, but I'm not new to gaming.

I've got over 300 hours racked up on Battlefield 2, and most of that was with crappy Sony MDR-V300 headphones or 2.1 speakers.

I finally nutted up and purchased a pair of Beyerdynamics DT 770 Pro/80 headphones, and I have been AMAZED. I'm glad I came here to headfi.org to read up on these things, because the advice was terrific.

I had a choice of going with A900s or the DT 770s, and I went with the DT 770s because I could buy them locally.

When I play BF2 now, I can HEAR the tread of the Chinese APC as it moves off of the grass or dirt onto a paved road. I can hear clearly the distinctive sound of the weapons - the slow, deep fire of the PKM, the rat-a-tat-tat of an AK-47 and its variants. AMAZING. Sure, all those sounds were there before, but I really had to work at hearing them. Now, they are just THERE. The crunch of a boot on pavement, the placement of the sounds... I literally have saved myself in-game or capped someone else because of what I HEARD at least a dozen times in the past day of playing.

I'm sure there are better cans, and I have heard that the Audio Technica A900s are great, too. However, even if I could have purchased the Audio Technica's locally, I think I would have gone with the Beyers anyway. The velour earpiece covers and headband padding are really nice. Very, VERY comfortable for those marathon gaming sessions.

You can't go wrong with these, and I look forward to getting them amped up, too.

Oh, yeah... DVDs sound awesome, and music is great on these cans, too!!

Make sure you get the /80s, though. I've played them without an amp off of my crappy laptop at work and it sounded OK. They definitely sound better out of my Audigy soundcard on one of my PCs and my X-Fi Xtreme Music on my other PC.

Seriously. I don't think you will find a better value for your increased enjoyment of games!

-=EDIT=- And as for a mic, I use some piece of junk from Altec Lansing that has headphones on them. I just hang them off my neck and bend the flexible mic boom up towards my mouth. Works great for BF2 on my clan's Ventrilo server.

Feb 26, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #11 of 15
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION FOR THE LOVE OF ... WHOMEVER

That said, A500 are right up your alley. Good positional sound location, good bass and treble for both impact and detail, great gaming cans.

And they've been recommended at least thirty times in the last month alone. Search, man, search.

Feb 26, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibo

I've run mine ampless through an M-Audio 7.1 soundcard since the day I got them.

Best gaming headphones I've personally ever used.

Feb 26, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #14 of 15
how well do clip on mics capture sound? I know with mics that are inches away from your mouth, you dont have to talk to loud for anyone to hear you, but will you have to talk louder/normally/not quietly if you have a clip on?

Feb 26, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayman2k2
how well do clip on mics capture sound? I know with mics that are inches away from your mouth, you dont have to talk to loud for anyone to hear you, but will you have to talk louder/normally/not quietly if you have a clip on?

No you wont have to talk loud at all. As long as you have have the 20dB boost on in options it works fun. For my gaming I use a cheap desktop mic that rests about a foot from my mouth, I can talk normally and my clan mates say its easy as pie to here me nice in clear, we use Ventrilo for our CS:S matches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back