Gaming Headphones for PC/Xbox360/PS3
Aug 9, 2011 at 10:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

dontknow

New Head-Fier
Hi

I'm new to all of this and I have been reading a few threads on here and couldn't find anything specific that answers my question.

I'm basically after a decent set of headphones that can be used across the Xbox 360/PS3/PC. I don't want anything that will break the bank and I'm really not that much of an audiophile but thought it was about time that I invested in a decent set of headphones.

My budget is roughly £120/$170 and I have been looking at the following based on a few reviews that I have read:

Logitech G35 (Dont know if this works with consoles)
Turtle Force Ear Force PX5
Tritton AX Pro

What would you recommend? Are the above headsets any good?

Any advice/info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Aug 9, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #2 of 23
I personally don't like any of the offerings from Triton or Turtle Beach, but if you were to get any headset from Triton, you'd want to get the AX 720 over AX Pro.

If you can spring the extra 40-50usd you can get a used-like new pc360 for around 210usd plus shipping from amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PC-360-Headset-Gaming/dp/B003DA4D2U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1312911413&sr=1-1

Of course I don't know how expensive the shipping would be to wherever you are, but I think it'd be a very worthwhile investment overs something like Triton or Turtle Beach.

If you can't break the bank fora 360, then perhaps the 350.

Aug 9, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #3 of 23
TMRaven. Does the Sennheiser PC 360 Headset support Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound? I'm assuming that this also supports both the Xbox 360 and PS3 consoles too?

Is there any reason why you don't like the above headsets? From the reviews I've been reading, they seem to be well regarded?

More inputs for other people would be appreciated....

Aug 9, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #4 of 23
Dolby headphones comes from an external amplifier.  Companies like Triton, Turtle Beach and Astro package them in with a lot of their products.  If you're in need of one, then you're probably best off getting an AX720.

I never liked the Turtle Beach headsets because their proprietary amplifiers are noisy/hissy, which detract from the clarity of their sound, while the headsets themselves are rather muddy with severe treble roll-off.

The AXPro in all honesty, is very weird as far as sound goes.  I'd probably avoid it at all costs.  The AX720 is pretty decent.  It's a clearer/crisper alternative (more comfortable alternative as well) to the Turtle Beaches.  Their build quality is severely in question though (but I did not have them long enough to attest to the build quality being bad)

Aug 9, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #5 of 23
****, those Sennheisers look nice.  I wish they'd make a more affordable model.

Anyway, I've had the turtle beach x11, and have had bad experience with them.  While they are major upgrade to any microsoft headphone product, the build quality is garbage.  For some reason, my mic just magically stopped working.  I'm in the process of trying to return these things (like 3 months old) thought support, and they want me to pay shipping for their cheap plastic product.  I'm probably not even going to bother.  I'll try trittons maybe.

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #6 of 23
Thanks TMRaven, the info is much appreciated. It is surprising though that the AX720 is considered to be better than the Tritton AX Pro, even though its an older model?

Out of curiosity how comes you have alot of knowledge about all these different headphones? Seems like you have tried them all?

Apart from the Tritton AX720, are there any other decent 5.1 Dolby surround sound headphones (similar price) that work with PC/Xbox 360/PS3 that you would recommend, or is that the only one?

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #7 of 23
I went through a pretty robust stage of gaming headsets before I finally gave up and entered the realm of headphones.  I've only tried DPX21 and AX720, but I've had friends who had AX Pro and a couple of those xbox turtle beaches-- I forget their names.

The only things I truly recommend now are standalone headphones with the astro mixamp and your choice of mic.

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #8 of 23
I've decided to go with the AD700 after researching this for the past month (however, I'll be saving my pennies for the AKG K701) and I'll share my thoughts based on what I've read. Basically, majority of the gaming headsets are trash, in sound and build quality. I can attest to the build quality as I bought a month old Turtle Beach DPX21, used it for a month and the left speaker stopped working (googled it and it seems to be a very common problem). Their customer service has agreed to repair/replace it so not so bad I guess.

If you're going to be using them for mostly competitive gaming like me, then the AD700 and the AKG K701, should be at the top of your list. What you'll need is either the Turtle Beach DSS or the Astro Mixamp and you're good to go. Based on your budget, DSS ($70 on amazon) and the AD700 ($90 on amazon) would be a good start. EDIT: I am not sure if the DSS would work with PC or Xbox. I use it with the PS3.

Much more info in this thread..
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-cz-s-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone

Aug 9, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 23
Thanks for the info Naked Snake.

Is the Astro Mixamp alot better than the Turtle Beach DSS? I'm not much of an audiophile, so I was wondering whether I would notice any difference. I had a quick read about the Turtle Beach DSS on Amazon and it seems like it supports Xbox 360 and PC as well which sounds ideal. If i'm going to be spending all this money, I would like it to work for all platforms if possible.

The Astro Mixamp does seem to be very popular around these forums...

Aug 9, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #10 of 23
I like the mixamp over the dss because it has a lower signal/noise ratio.  The astro mixamp won't start hissing until about 60% volume.  The dss hisses no matter its volume.  Its hiss at 30% volume is like the mixamp's hiss at 70-80% volume.

Other than that, they both have the same dolby headphone processing, but the major difference is in their features.  The mixamp can mix game/chat volume (very useful if planning to go the route of headphone with 3rd party mic) while the dss gives a bass boost.  Supposedly the wireless mixamp has the bass boost as well.

Aug 9, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #11 of 23
So while the Mixamp is more expensive, it's relatively bereft of line noise, especially at lower volumes. That's a big reason to choose the Mixamp right there, especially with the AD700s being so easy to drive and very revealing of such line noise.

Now how does the JVC/Victor SU-DH1 compare in that respect?

Aug 10, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #12 of 23
Looks like you guys have twisted my arm, and I'm most likely to go down the Mixamp route along with a 3rd party headset. (Naked Snake setup sounds appealing)

I'm looking at the Mixamp 5.8, which is the wireless solution. Only thing I'm confused about, is how it connects to the PC/Xbox 360/PS3?

Aug 10, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #13 of 23
Take this w/ a grain of salt, it's his first gaming headphone.

Review: Sennheiser PC-360

Alright so here is a short review...

Build: Overall sturdy and well put together. Parts that were mounted together with screws were fitted nicely. Every part is flush, no protruding edges. Cups are free-moving and slightly rotatable, just not alot which to me is just nice. Headset handle, the thing that holds the 2 cups are rather flexible but not flimsy at all, doesnt look cheap. The grills on both sides of the cups are solid hard even though its made of some kind of plastic. (YES i tried to press it LOL itchy hand) The soft ear pads have volume to it, like those of the white board marker duster. Its comfy too and doesnt make my ear itch but each to his/her own on this one.

Design: ERGONOMIC is da word. Srsly everything u need to fiddle with the headset like volume up down mic mute unmute is on the headset itself. Not too flashy too. Only gib i got with the headset's design right out of the box is that you have to adjust/extend the headset in order to fit on your head. I dont really have a big head but i feel that with the headset unadjusted, it can pretty much only fit onto a baby's head. The mic could be alot more flush along with the side of the headset too. It looks like u have a antenna sticking out and away of your headset if u have it swivel back.

Sound: Overall, clear cut, natural sound. When i played music from varies genre like pop rock metal trance dance hardstyle rnb blockbuster soundtrack, it just sounded great. I can hear the epicness especially in soundtracks, but maybe its just the soundtrack itself lol. Max volume doesnt make it sound distorted too. I cant really describe it well because im not really well verse with sound terms. Maybe someone else with this headphone can input better on this. And oh yea, i think this headset needs a good soundcard/amp to really bring out the most of it. Its like a highend gfx card that needs good mobo, cpu, ram etc to juice it up.

Conclusion: A really good headphone that sounds great and well built. I really like the ergonomic features on this, as stated a few post up. I just wish that the frame is larger, in the sense that it doesnt need any adjustments to fit onto my head. Maybe a detachable wire that comes both in long and short ones too. Mic is very good in picking up my actual voice. People on skype told me that i sounded like me naturally as though as IRL. You can also hear your music coming out from the headset due to its opened design, a subtle feature that i like because sometimes i can just play music without wearing it lol or even play music over skype or vent as the mic will pick it up. So people who doesnt want to disturb anyone while blasting your headset, stay away it. Also lastly, since the ear pad isnt leather, it is a dust magnet. So stay off it also if u hate dust and cant be bothered to clean it once awhile.

Credits to Deathcoffin

Aug 11, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #14 of 23

Quote:
I personally don't like any of the offerings from Triton or Turtle Beach, but if you were to get any headset from Triton, you'd want to get the AX 720 over AX Pro.

If you can spring the extra 40-50usd you can get a used-like new pc360 for around 210usd plus shipping from amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PC-360-Headset-Gaming/dp/B003DA4D2U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1312911413&sr=1-1

Of course I don't know how expensive the shipping would be to wherever you are, but I think it'd be a very worthwhile investment overs something like Triton or Turtle Beach.

If you can't break the bank fora 360, then perhaps the 350.

I just bought the PC 360 today from razordogdeals.  I used the coupon RAZORDOG60 and it knocked $60 off! $190 shipped!  When Brian emailed me my tracking number, he mentioned the code works on anything on his site that is at least $249.  I didn't even realize I wanted headphones until the other day I read through the Mad Lust Envy headphone gaming guide.  Now I have a Mixamp on the way too!  Oh well.  Can't take it with you.

I hope it was okay to post this here?  It seemed like everyone else is pointing out deals.

-Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back