Gaming Headphone Search
Nov 8, 2012 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

CrakkerJakk

New Head-Fier
Hello this is my first time posting here on Head-Fi. I have been reading threads on here for weeks now and I finally decided to just join since I'm here so often anyways. I need some advice from you guys out there. I am searching for my fist pair of audiophile level headphones. Previously I have only owned Turtle Beach x11 (love them), ATH AD700 (returned them because I didnt like the way they fit) and Astro A40 with MixAmp (returned because i felt my turtle beaches had better sound quality). I'm hoping the sound quality on these headphones I buy next will blow me away. I am looking for a Full sized over the ear closed headphone that will be compatible with a virtual surround sound processor like the Astro Mixamp, DSS2, etc. I want it to be extremely comfortable without any modding.

Budget: $200 to put towards the headphone itself
Primary use: 100% Gaming (Battlefield 3, Call of Duty, and other FPS)
Sound sources: PC, Xbox, Laptop (no amps or sound cards)
Virtual Surround Sound: Is it a gimmick? If not what surround sound processor should I get

Currently on my list:
Ultrasone HiFi 580 (Very close to buying these at the moment off amazon. Will S-Logic work well with a virtual surround sound processor?)
ATH M50
ATH A700
Brainwavz HM5
Sennheiser PC 360

I want an all around great performer that will be comfortable, get me immersed in the game provide good noise isolation from the outside world, and give me a competitive edge.
Immersion and comfort are my main goals.

Thank You to All who respond!

Nov 9, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #2 of 24
You didn't like the Audio Technica AD700's fit? Hmm...maybe you would prefer something with a tighter fit? Audio Technica headphones are somewhat head-dependent as the size of one's head seems to determine what is comfortable.

I don't think you'd like the A700 as that has a similar design to the AD700. The M50 has a different design than the A700s and AD700s so they pass that test. The M50s, if you want competitive gaming, aren't exactly the most suitable as the soundstage on the M50s isn't exactly wide.

Try here first:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-10-30-12-dt990-listings-merged-and-updated

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634586/looking-for-advice-gaming-headphones

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #3 of 24
Ohk so I will take the M50s off my list as wells as the A700s. What I really need an answer to is wether or not the Ultrasone HiFi 580 will give me accurate positional sound. Im just worried that the S-Logic design they have will conflict with the Virtual Surround Sound processor. I like everything about the Ultrasones, from what ive read they are comfortable, have a strong bass, fold up and have a lower profile design unlike some other headphones. If you guys have more headphones to add to my list please do.

Thank You for your input

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:
Ohk so I will take the M50s off my list as wells as the A700s. What I really need an answer to is wether or not the Ultrasone HiFi 580 will give me accurate positional sound. Im just worried that the S-Logic design they have will conflict with the Virtual Surround Sound processor. I like everything about the Ultrasones, from what ive read they are comfortable, have a strong bass, fold up and have a lower profile design unlike some other headphones. If you guys have more headphones to add to my list please do.
Thank You for your input

S-Logic plays nicely with surround virtualization techs, like CMSS-3D and DH. The Ultrasone HFI-580 is a solid purchase for gaming (especially immersive gaming), but due to its more emphasized bass presence, the Ultrasone HFI-780 might be a better option for both competitive and immersive gaming due to its slightly more balanced signature, and it's significantly better than any of the gear you've used before.

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #6 of 24
Wow thanks so much for everyones feedback!

I am down to 3 choices now::)

Ultrasone 580 (bass heavy great for immersion) Amazon Price $119USD

Ultrasone 780 (solid bass but still gives competitive performance best of both worlds)
Amazon Price $157USD

Ultrasone 2400 - Are these worth the extra cash? What is the difference from the 780s?
Amazon Price $189USD

What is the cheapest virtual surround sound processor option to get Virtual Surround Sound?
Astro MixAmp- ($110)
TurtleBeach DSS2- ($76)
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB Audio System with THX SB1095 ($55)
Will Creative work with xbox?

What are some other bang for my buck options? Must be compatible across all platorms pc,xbox, laptop.

Nov 9, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #7 of 24
I found out the Ultrasone 2400 are open. So taking those off my list. Would the Sennheiser HD 598 have far superior sound to the Ultrasone 580s? I am aware that the HD598s are open but they get such high praise everywhere I look.

Nov 9, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #8 of 24
SoundMAGIC HP100 are closed... should have as good if not better sound than the HD598

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:
SoundMAGIC HP100 are closed... should have as good if not better sound than the HD598

I have never heard of the SoundMAGIC HP100 until just now, I looked at them on amazon and they are $199. If I was going to spend that much money I will get the very popular and highly praised Sennheiser HD 598. I would feel safer putting my money into the Sennheiser HD598. Just the name "SoundMAGIC" makes me suspicious of them.

Thank you for your input though

*EDIT*My apologies for being so skeptical of the SoundMAGIC HP100 before. I took a deeper look into them and they are now on my list of headphones I'm considering. Thank you randomkid for making the suggestion.

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #11 of 24
I'd choose the Ultrasone Pro550 over the HFI models, more adequate for fps games. 

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #12 of 24
The headphone I will buy has been narrowed down to the Ultrasone HiFi 780. I am willing to place the order within the next week or so if I can get someone to tell me about their comfort. The comfort factor will make or break the deal. If I am not able to wear them for long periods of time without soar ears then they fail, I don't care how good they sound. Now I know I might get a tomato thrown at me for mentioning the "B-word" here but I have tried the BOSE AE2 ($150) and they are VERY comfortable compared to anything I've ever tried(I haven't tried a lot of headphones). They are light weight and a perfect fit for my ears. I just would like to know if the Ultrasone HiFi 780 ear cups are big enough so my ears will not be touching the drivers or the ear pads. Can the 780s compare with the comfort of the Bose AE2? Any other extremely comfortable headphones that were not already mentioned?

Would the Bose AE2 be able to compete with the Ultrasones 780s in sound quality? 
Will the Bose AE2 be compatible with a virtual surround sound processor? I know they have slanted drivers so I'm not sure it would be a good match. But the comfort of the Bose really won me over.

Thank You for all who are willing help 
L3000.gif

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #13 of 24
I think the mixamp would be the best if you are going from consoles to pc and back. They are easy to use. For a headphone the hd598s soundstage is unmatched. You can find them used or on sale for 170 sometimes. If you cant find them or would rather have something closed I feel the dt770s have damn good soundstage for a headphone, sound great with music, and are durable as can be. You can find these on ebay new for 150 and even cheaper if you buy used somewhere. 

I will say though that processors like the mixamp etc do work for pc but are not ideal. It will get the job done and be better then your motherboards audio. Later down the road you may want a soundcard, but the processors should be fine if you do decide to keep switching between gaming systems. 

cheers

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:
The headphone I will buy has been narrowed down to the Ultrasone HiFi 780. I am willing to place the order within the next week or so if I can get someone to tell me about their comfort. The comfort factor will make or break the deal. If I am not able to wear them for long periods of time without soar ears then they fail, I don't care how good they sound. 

Some people have issues with the headband, but there are some mods to increase comfort. 

Nov 9, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #15 of 24
I do not want to start modding a brand new headphone. I want something with extreme comfort right out of the box.
So Bose AE2 sound quality up to par with the Ultrasone HiFi 780 because the price sure is.
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back