Gaming-Allround Headphones --- Suggestions needed!!!!
Jul 25, 2011 at 11:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

gab840

100+ Head-Fier

HI All.....I own XonarDX Soundcard and Sony's MDRXD-100 Headphones.

My Preferrenced used for headphones:

Hardcore Gamer(FPS,RPG,Action,Adventure singleplayers) I love being immersed in games by sound so sound/directive/positional sound (& gun-fire/explosions should be felt/shake)as well as music in gaming are of Utmost imp.  (Infact I ambuying a new headsets for gaming only & was going for a 5.1headsets but heard frm this site that there are other headsets that provides better quality than 5.1 gaming headsets both in terms of sound/music quality as well as direction and positional sound)

I dont have much knowledge of being an audiophile and technical terms but I want to listen Music-all Genres(another imp. preference) and watch movies in highest quality possbile HD-audio etc. So would like to have an all-round headphones which could blow mind in gaming through 5.1 sound and also in music and movies.

Another thing, Are headphones better than speakers and can they provide that bass/impact of guns bombs/missiles exploding in games movies so that you can feel.

My budget is around 100-200$ 

And how good are these sony's xd100 headphones I am using compared to which u all are going to tell .

Jul 25, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 8
No, a headphone will never give you the kind of visceral impact that speakers can give you.  Bigger drivers of the speakers will give considerably more sound pressure than what headphones can offer.

However, a headphone is easily capable of giving just as much perceived bass quantity and extend lower than speakers with ease, because they have their own small amount of space to fill instead of a large room where details and low frequencies can get lost.

You seem like you'd really want a lot of bass, but good positional accuracy and comfort to boot.

I'd say get the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm.

http://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-DT770-PRO-250-ohm/dp/B0006NL5SM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311621678&sr=8-1

Jul 25, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 8
If you care about telling what's coming from where, you're gonna have to sacrifice bass oomph. Check out Mad Lust Envy's guide for gaming headphones. AD700's an awesome headphone for gaming, but it doesn't have bass.

Jul 25, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
If you care about telling what's coming from where, you're gonna have to sacrifice bass oomph. Check out Mad Lust Envy's guide for gaming headphones. AD700's an awesome headphone for gaming, but it doesn't have bass.

Atleast it must be having some bass. "NO bass" what does that meant..please specify atleast does it have better bass than sony mdr-xd100???

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 8
HA RX900's..they have nice soundstage and bass. When modded, they sound better. 

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #7 of 8
If you want good positioning, you do not want a heavy bass headphone. It drowns out the directional sound. Hardcore? Ok. So am I. I have actually won tournaments in several fps games.

You won't get these but

Sony PFR-V1 is the best dynamic "headphone" I have heard for fps gaming. It will suck at a lan obviously. If you want to know who is where anywhere in the game, these will tell you.

Otherwise Stax kick major ass but in the realm of reality the beyer 880 is excellent all around and the Fischer 03 is too with more bass emphasis.

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #8 of 8
The closest I've had to good bass and wide soundstage is the Beyer DT150.  They have great bass that doesn't get in the way of the positioning as much as any other bassy headphone I've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back