Games soundtracks: anyone listens to them?
Nov 27, 2002 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 104

Vitalstatistix

100+ Head-Fier
Personally, I'm a big fan of Nobuo Uetmasu, the genius behind the music of the Final Fantasy series. I also like Xeonogears, and the Chrono Cross/Trigger series.

Anyone shares the same interest?

Nov 27, 2002 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 104
i got the Wipeout II cd. how come they didn't come out with a Wipeout Fusion (Wipeout IV) cd? There's two great Techno tracks on that baby.

Nov 27, 2002 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 104
Yes, I enjoy game soundtracks too. Let's see...*looks through soundtracks* I have the Final Fantasy VI OST, Final Fantasy VIII OST, Chrono Cross OST, a Grandia II CD, Final Fantasy VII Reunion Tracks, Final Fantasy VIII Orchestrated CD, Final Fantasy VIII Piano Collection...stuff like that. I never played Xenogears, so I never listened to its soundtrack, though I've heard good things about it. You should check out music from the Castlevania/Dracula series if you haven't. Give the Dracula X Nocturne in the Moonlight (Castlevania Symphony of the Night) OST a listen, it's very good.

As far as non-console games go, Jeremy Soule is a very good composer who's done soundtracks for many PC RPGs like Icewind Dale, Morrowind, Dungeon Siege, and Neverwinter Nights.

Nov 27, 2002 at 6:49 PM Post #5 of 104
Yeah, i have a bunch, Y's III are my favorites right now, as well as FF, castlevania and resident evil.

Nov 27, 2002 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 104
Very strange....

I was about to start a thread like this, when *pop*, here it is!

I am all over game soundtracks (though I wish I had more).

My current favorite has to be Elemental Gearbolt. It was a PS1 lightgun game, and it has an absolutely incredible score. You owe it to yourself to explore it.

Some of my old favorites include Gates of Thunder (an old TG-16/Turboduo shooter with a rocking soundtrack.. one of the first good CD games ever released), Suikoden (the original PS1 RPG), Actraiser (an amazing feat for use of the SNES soundchip), the Y's series, Wild Arms 1, Castlevania: SotN, and .... oh who am I kidding, there are too many to list.

We also must remember the old old school favorites. Super Mario Brothers has an enchanting soundtrack that I believe nearly 50% of the population of the US can sing and recognize. I mean, I know people who don't even like video games, and they know and can recite the whole theme, the underwater theme, and the dungeon theme. Another classic is Sonic the Hedgehog, but I think I like that soundtrack more because of assosciation than it actually being very good. I also thought Metroid, Rad Racer and Battletoads were very cool, too.

I also like the stuff by Nobuo Uematsu, though recently I've not been so into his stuff (FF8 was a bit of a letdown for me, and I haven't recovered since). One of my favorite listens is the Celtic Moon series of rearranged FF music.

OST vs. orchestral/rearrangements... they are both good. Different in what they do and what they are. Orchestra is good for listening with relaxation, OST is good for nostalgia and for experiencing old things in new ways (check this thread for a bit more on that: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=20742 )

Nov 27, 2002 at 8:17 PM Post #7 of 104
the soundtrack to FFVII is awesome, but i only have it on mp3. i gotta pick up the real cd. hey lobstersan, i have the game, elemental gearbolt and you just reminded me that the music is beautiful in that game. i'll definitely check out the soundtrack then. my cousin has one of the wipeout soundtracks, it's pretty good.

Nov 27, 2002 at 8:49 PM Post #8 of 104
Another video game music fan here. They're a part of my reference CDs, particularly the FF series' orchestrated ones. My recent catch was the Suikoden III soundtrack, totally awesome soundtrack with the take away track being the opening theme "Exceeding Love".

Nov 27, 2002 at 8:53 PM Post #9 of 104
Here's a list of what i have:

biohazard -remix
biohazard: code veronica 2cds
biohazard: code veronica, 2nd disc in mini, sound effects only
Biohazard 2: OST (cardboard case)
Chronotrigger OST
chronotrigger: brink of time
Chronocross OST
donkey kong country
dracula battle: perfect selection vol 1
dracula: sotn
dracula: nintendo 64 (can't make out which one)
dracula: NES 1-3
dracula: midi collection
dracula x: remixes
castlevania chronicle 2cds
Dracula IV (aka Super castlevania IV OST!)-also has a GB soundtrack

FF:
FFVI grand finale
FF 1987-1994
FF V: dear friends
FF MIX
FF VII reunion tracks
FF II OST
FF V OST
FF V piano collections
FF III OST
FF: symphony suite (i have the SM and original one)
FF IV Piano collections (two versions, one with music book)
FF VI OST
FF IV: OST
FF IV: celtic moon
FF: potion
FF IX plus
FF IX piano collections
FF tactics OST
FF VII OST
FF IX OST
FF VIII OST

front mission OST
JDK special vol 2
JDK special vol 1
live a live OST
Lunar eternal blue OST
Metal Gear Solid OST
Neo geo guys song collection
Phantasy Star online OST
Raiden II OST
Romancing saga 2 OST
Secret of mana 2 OST
Secret of Mana+
Secret of Mana 3- 3cds
Sol Feace: Sega cd game with redbook sdtk
smily_headphones1.gif

Street Fighter image album
Street Fighter II: the new challengers
Streets of rage 2 OST
Tommy Tallarico grt hits volume one
Vandal Hearts OST
Wild Arms OST
Y's: very best of Y's
Y's 95: symphony
Y's V image album
Y's: music from, OST
Y's III: wanderers from Y's PC engine cd (redbook!)
Y's III: wanderers from y's, music from Y's III (dont know which system this comes from, its not Megadrive or Sfamicom)
Y's III special (jdk band)-X68000 original version, JDK special arrange version
Y's III :wanderers from Y's super arrange version (good ****!)
Y's III: wanderers from Y's perfect collection

Nintendo (?) vol 4 (symphony)

Nobuo Uetmasu sound collection (has a picture of a character with a cape riding a chocobo)

Nov 27, 2002 at 10:15 PM Post #11 of 104
Quote:

Originally posted by kin3tix
jeebus gloco!!! that's pretty cool. where the hell did you get all of it?

Chinatown....that's before i knew they were bootlegs! Damn you SM and EverAnime! A good amount of those discs are originals though, especially the Y's stuff and some FF and castlevania.

Nov 27, 2002 at 10:51 PM Post #12 of 104
Quote:

Dracula X Nocturne in the Moonlight (Castlevania Symphony of the Night)

What an incredible sountrack!!!

I'm not so much "into" VG music but a friend of mine who is, and I mean 40 gigs worth, sends me some of his favorites every once in a while. Though I did have a nice few midi's from vgmusic.com from back before mp3s. Anyone remember WinGroove? or waveworld.simplenet.com?

Edit: Apparently 40 gigs worth is only what he has kept... he figures he's listened to 3-4 times that much
eek.gif

Nov 28, 2002 at 12:21 AM Post #13 of 104
Quote:

Originally posted by Ob3ron
What an incredible sountrack!!!

I'm not so much "into" VG music but a friend of mine who is, and I mean 40 gigs worth, sends me some of his favorites every once in a while. Though I did have a nice few midi's from vgmusic.com from back before mp3s. Anyone remember WinGroove? or waveworld.simplenet.com?

Edit: Apparently 40 gigs worth is only what he has kept... he figures he's listened to 3-4 times that much
eek.gif

Cool man, i still use wingroove and modplayer to jam out sometimes. I love this stuff. One of the first things that turned me onto computers (besides warcraft II) was the concept of downloading midi's and digital music (not mp3's, but mod files). I have this one Final fantasy VII mod of "u can hear the cry of the planetremix.xm," it's some stunning work i tell you.

Nov 28, 2002 at 1:53 AM Post #15 of 104
The only game soundtracks I have are the FF Vocal Collections (Pray and Love Will Grow), great female vocals. The only piano OST for FF that really stands out is for FFVIII, imo. I also have Final Fantasy N Generation, but the recording on that is bleh.

If you haven't played Xenogears then you haven't played the best RPG (plot and concept wise) ever. Also has a reputable soundtrack but most of it isn't very appealing to me.

They have to make more acoustic guitar versions of Final Fantasy songs, like they did with Eyes On Me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back