Gamer - AKG 240s or ATH AD 700
Oct 30, 2008 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

reflex

New Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 27, 2008
Posts
9
Likes
0
I rather new to hifi audio and I am still baffled by some of the knowledge you guys have on headphones. You guys really know your stuff!

I am a big gamer. I play Americas Army and I am looking for a good set of headphones so I can get the most out of the game. Biggest things I need for the game when it comes to sound is -

1. Hearing footsteps
2. Hearing doors open from different sides of the building open and close, and being able to directionally pinpoint where it is coming from.

My price range is @ around $120 dollars. My pc is in a closed room so open cans are preffered. My sound card is the creative labs x-fi fatality platnium.

I have found 2 headphones I am leaning towards (was 3 but I cant find a pair of akg 501's anywhere) but I have some questions -

1. AKG 240s (will my card be able to power them to get the best sound?)
2. ATH AD700's (If my card can power the akg's, are these really any better?)

As I said before im rather new to hi-fi audio, and maybe im out of my league when it comes to this, but are the cans I picked out good for gaming and can my sound card power them to get the best sound? All my buddies are using the HD555, but im looking to go a different path.

(No reply's referring to 5.1 headphones... or any other headphones "made for gaming" please. I've already tried them, I think they are horrible and way over-priced)
 
Oct 30, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #2 of 21

Solid Snake

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 21, 2007
Posts
1,089
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by reflex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(No reply's referring to 5.1 headphones... or any other headphones "made for gaming" please. I've already tried them, I think they are horrible and way over-priced)


I'd laugh hard if someone recommended those.
 
Oct 30, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 21

Alai

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Posts
765
Likes
10
I would go for the AD700 for the comfort alone.
 
Oct 30, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 21

ggNoRe

New Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 29, 2008
Posts
8
Likes
0
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you and decided the AD-700's would be the best bang for the buck after doing some internet research for a LONG time. However, I ended up buying these Amazon.com: Beyerdynamic MMX 2 PC Gaming Multimedia Digital Headset with Microphone: Video Games today instead but only because it 1. Is a headset so I don't have to worry about getting a seperate mic and talking loud into it and 2. because I'm using onboard sound and it comes with a usb. It seems like those are 2 things that your'e not worried about so I think the AD-700's will probably be the best pair of cans you can buy for around $100.
 
Oct 30, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #7 of 21

Alai

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Posts
765
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ggNoRe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you and decided the AD-700's would be the best bang for the buck after doing some internet research for a LONG time. However, I ended up buying these Amazon.com: Beyerdynamic MMX 2 PC Gaming Multimedia Digital Headset with Microphone: Video Games today instead but only because it 1. Is a headset so I don't have to worry about getting a seperate mic and talking loud into it and 2. because I'm using onboard sound and it comes with a usb. It seems like those are 2 things that your'e not worried about so I think the AD-700's will probably be the best pair of cans you can buy for around $100.


Well, you know the Zalman clip mic is amazingly sensitive, yet somehow filters out background noise. Clipping is unnecessary. I just leave it on my desk and I don't have to lean in to speak. And I don't have to speak loudly.

As for the second concern, many headphones can do well even with onboard sound. I don't recall, but I believe the AD700 is still pretty good with onboard.
 
Oct 30, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #8 of 21

Gollie

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 30, 2007
Posts
355
Likes
10
AD700 or what I used were the Beyer DT770 Pro 80.
 
Oct 30, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #11 of 21

Alai

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Posts
765
Likes
10
Personally, I would get both HARX900 and AD700. In fact, that's what I am doing. Lol.
 
Oct 30, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #12 of 21

genclaymore

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 3, 2007
Posts
2,158
Likes
133
Location
MI
I would say the AD700 since I used to own them and used them for gaming, the only thing about them that they dont have much of a bass. I changed that when I bought some OPA627AU.
 
Oct 30, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #13 of 21

jaudio

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 4, 2007
Posts
124
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RX900 is closed. The AD900 is open. The OP is wanting open headphones for around $120. That would be the AD700.


The rx900 are not closed. I guess they're kinda semi-open. Check out the first post. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/jvc...5/#post4907833
 
Oct 30, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #14 of 21

1Time

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 1, 2005
Posts
4,661
Likes
23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The rx900 are not closed. I guess they're kinda semi-open. Check out the first post. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/jvc...5/#post4907833


I must have got that from the earlier thread on these JVCs. According to the thread you referenced, "The 700 is almost sealed. The 900 is more of an open can." Thanks, for clearing that up.
 
Oct 30, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #15 of 21

spacemanspliff

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 19, 2005
Posts
4,050
Likes
36
The X900 breathes pretty well considering the pads are pleather? might be leather I don't know. They are almost as good as the beyer leather pads. Really a stupidly good headphone for the $. I know the price is going to double at some point. Still worth even $150 though.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top