GameBoy Advanced: OK for 6 year olds?
Aug 13, 2002 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Audio Redneck

Spaceman Spiff
Ok, my 6 year old wants a GameBoy Advance. I am helping him save up for one but am trying to get an idea of how fast the saving should go and what games he should start out on (he wants Mario and Scobby Doo).

He's six.
He can read.
He can do puzzle games ok.
He doesn't do well with his cousin's XBox on snow boarding.

So any suggestion on where should I start him at?

Aug 13, 2002 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 22
I think the Game Boy Advance would be a good start. It's basically a portable Super Nintendo. I think the size is small enough where he would be able to hold it comfortabley (as opposed to the large Xbox controller -- was this part of the problem?). There are enough games to appeal to 6 year old, I think.

Plus, the price is right.

Aug 13, 2002 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by acs236
I think the size is small enough where he would be able to hold it comfortabley (as opposed to the large Xbox controller -- was this part of the problem?).

I don't know if it was the size or complexity of the controller/game. I played it some (the only game console I've played in 10+ years) and I thought it was a little complicated.

But then again, I'm getting old enough that Microwaves and VCRs are getting a little tricky.
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2002 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 22
shoot, if i was 6 yrs old i'd think the xbox was too complicated for me too. I think the GB advance would be a good way to start off, remember, a young child will not have the same eye to hand coordination (or intelligence) as a teenager would have. Games that i found difficult when i was a young kid are now easy as pie.

Aug 13, 2002 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 22
My 4 year olds play and enjoy the following Gameboy Advance games:

Spiderman Mysterios Menace
Spiderman: The Movie
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
Dave Mirra BMX

Many of the platform games require great timing and coordination to avoid instant death, which is tough for little kids. But the Spiderman games are not like that. The Spiderman games are quite easy to get the hang of, and even the youngest kids can play for quite some time before their health runs out.

The Skateboard and BMX games (and probably the snowboard one too) can be put in freestlye mode, so the kids can just zoom around pushing buttons to try and do tricks, without any pressure to score points or anything. The hard tricks are complicated, but the kids don't really care as long as they are doing some tricks.

Your 6 year old will do better than my 4 year olds, so you might also look at something a little harder to play like Mario Kart Super Circuit which is a very fun racing game. Also, my kids really love Megaman Battle Network but it is too advanced for them. They try, but alas you really need to be able to read for that one.

After a little practice your kid will be using the controller like he was born with it.
smily_headphones1.gif
My kids have easily learned the Gameboy Color and the Microsoft Sidewinder Gamepad without any problems.

That's all I can think of right now. Hope it helps.

Aug 14, 2002 at 5:54 AM Post #7 of 22
Im older than 6
smily_headphones1.gif
I bought a gameboy looking for some cheap thrills and I can easily say that the systems games are generally directed towards little kids and thus not so thrilling and not so cheap to boot. I like all of maybe 5 of the games I own alot. Mario Kart is really easy unless you try to make a game out of beating your previous time which is boring. F-Zero is another racing game but its pretty hard at first. Dauntingly so as some reviewers noted and knocked it for (dumb asses). If you stick with it for 2 maybe 3 days you'll be unlocking all the secrets in no time, and after a week you'll pick the game up like I did and say, hey, this game isnt even that fast anymore. But, the difficulty is just high enough to keep it somewhat interesting even then.

I would be carefull about the online review sites as well. They tend to give easy games with pretty graphics and nice gameplay really really high ratings. And if the game is difficult they **** on it. Apparently games arent supposed to challenge you. I remember a reviewer saying once that his head hurt from thinking too much. Hey, I think video games should eb challenging minds but alot of these people dont think so. If a game can literally take up hours of time in single spurt it SHOULD be challenging your mind through strategy, tactics or something.

Im waiting for chessmaster on the GBA baby! Chessmaster is a nice game that has enjoyed success on the PC for around ten years now. Hopefully they know how to make the GBA play chess.

Aug 14, 2002 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by ai0tron
Im waiting for chessmaster on the GBA baby! Chessmaster is a nice game that has enjoyed success on the PC for around ten years now. Hopefully they know how to make the GBA play chess.

Now I'd buy a GBA for me for Chessmaster! I look at these things and then think back to the Football game I had that was 3 rows of 12 little red LEDs. And then there was my Simon and Merlin.

Thanks for the tips guys. My wife and I talked last night about getting "us" a GBA and letting the kids use it as reward for good behavior/school-work/etc. They are starting to get bored with my Hot Wheels (they have track and a few cars, but most are mine.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 14, 2002 at 5:19 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

F-Zero is another racing game but its pretty hard at first.

lol, tell me about it! I've beaten EVERYTHING but the last 2 master competitions. . .

Aug 14, 2002 at 5:57 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Thanks for the tips guys. My wife and I talked last night about getting "us" a GBA and letting the kids use it as reward for good behavior/school-work/etc. They are starting to get bored with my Hot Wheels (they have track and a few cars, but most are mine.
evil_smiley.gif
[/B]

It seems from your profile that you've done a bit of DIY. Check out www.tritonlabs.com for when you get your GBA.

Aug 14, 2002 at 8:53 PM Post #11 of 22
Neat. I've glanced through CMOY's GBA light upgrade at Headwize.

What's the deal with connecting these things to a GameCube? Does it just function as a controller, or are you playing the games on the TV or what?

Aug 14, 2002 at 11:22 PM Post #12 of 22
From what I've been hearing, a GBA connected to a Gamecube can either be used as a controller device or for playing mini-games downloaded off the GC.

Now, if only Nintendo gave us a real reason for using decent headphones with the GBA - why do ppl neglect the sonic side of things with handheld consoles.. (ok, don't remind me - lack of storage/built-in memory & processing power..
rolleyes.gif
)

Oct 24, 2002 at 6:06 PM Post #13 of 22
Ok, one more question :

I was looking on ebay for comparison sake (only 60 more shopping days 'til Christmas
biggrin.gif
) and theres 50 dealers that have the GBA + 29 EXTRAS!!!
rolleyes.gif
So which of these extras are REALLY worth having? (18 game cases
confused.gif
)

[size=xx-small]-15 HOURS RECHARGEABLE POWER HANDLE WITH SOUND BOOSTER AND RUMBLE
-GBA LARGE CARRYING BAG
-SUPER BRIGHT WORM LIGHT
-4-PLAYERS LINK CABLE
-2-PLAYER MULTIPLAYER LINK CABLE
-LIGHT SHIELD WITH MAGNIFIER
-PROTECTIVE POUCH
-PROTECTIVE LEN
-18 GBA SHAPE CARTRIDGE CASES
-BELT CLIP
-UL APPROVED AC ADAPTER[/size]

Oct 24, 2002 at 6:20 PM Post #14 of 22
Useful:
-GBA LARGE CARRYING BAG
-UL APPROVED AC ADAPTER

May or May Not Be Useful:
-SUPER BRIGHT WORM LIGHT
-PROTECTIVE POUCH
-PROTECTIVE LENSE

You don't need both the worm light and the light shield.
You also don't need both the carrying bag and the pouch.
You definitely don't need the 4 player cable AND a 2 player cable.
I doubt you will need either of them.
Most of the stuff included is crap.

Oct 24, 2002 at 7:49 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Useful:
-GBA LARGE CARRYING BAG
-UL APPROVED AC ADAPTER

May or May Not Be Useful:
-SUPER BRIGHT WORM LIGHT
-PROTECTIVE POUCH
-PROTECTIVE LENSE

I pretty much agree here, but the cases are a nice bonus. Good for organizing the games, etc. The 4 player link cable is useful. I mean, why have both? And it does give you another excuse to get a few more.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back