Galaxy S5 and DAC Compatability
May 22, 2014 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

scottder

Headphoneus Supremus
I am wondering if anyone has tried the S5 with any DACs, i am looking to pick one up that will work over USB with my S5. The S4 seems to have had a good track record but I wanted to be sure before plunking down money on a DAC that may or may not work,

Scott

May 22, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #2 of 5
Welcome!
You can find a list of compatibility at the following post:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/4785#post_10568439

May 22, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #3 of 5
Welcome!
You can find a list of compatibility at the following post:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/4785#post_10568439

Thanks, I notice it indicates that the ID pin must be grounded, is that something that has to be done after the fact or can be cables be purchased that way?

May 22, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #4 of 5

Thanks, I notice it indicates that the ID pin must be grounded, is that something that has to be done after the fact or can be cables be purchased that way?

You can mod an existing cable, or get a cable adapter (search for "OTG adapter" on Amazon - just be aware that sometimes they aren't wired correctly either so buy two from different sellers), or buy a finished cable. I am not sure if Ibasso sells the short micro OTG to USB-B that comes with one of their DAC-HPamps though. Forza Audio Works sells longer cables for around $80 - I'm waiting to see if AudioQuest will make a Forest-series OTG cable that retails for less than half that, otherwise I can live with the added bulk of the adapter since I only use my Android with a separate DAC at home)

May 22, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #5 of 5

You can mod an existing cable, or get a cable adapter (search for "OTG adapter" on Amazon - just be aware that sometimes they aren't wired correctly either so buy two from different sellers), or buy a finished cable. I am not sure if Ibasso sells the short micro OTG to USB-B that comes with one of their DAC-HPamps though. Forza Audio Works sells longer cables for around $80 - I'm waiting to see if AudioQuest will make a Forest-series OTG cable that retails for less than half that, otherwise I can live with the added bulk of the adapter since I only use my Android with a separate DAC at home)

Excellent, thanks! I may take a look at the Fiio E18 DAC/AMP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back