Gain switch
Nov 17, 2008 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

swayne

100+ Head-Fier
Hi again,

Received my new iBassdo D3 and I'm confused by when to use the gain switch.

Should it be up or down when using UE Triple.fi pro / Senn. HD595's?

With the switch down the sound is a little quieter and doesn't seem to be as wide.

Both headphones are low impedance, and they both sound great no matter where the switch is, I just don't want to damage anything.

Steven.

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #2 of 13
either is fine, just dont thrash it in high mode. low or down is the proper setting for low imp phones

Dec 1, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaredtkatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got the ibasso d2 boa today and I am using it with Senn HD 595. Should the switch be down? When can I turn it up?

Keep the gain switch to low for low impedance phones and set to high for high impedance phones. For example the Sennheiser HD595's nominal impedance is 50ohms, keep swith to low. And the Sennheiser HD650's nominal impedance is 300ohms, set gain swithch to high. Hope that helps.

Jan 25, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #6 of 13
I did a search and stumbled upon this thread.

What would happen if I switched the gain to 'high' when using low impedance phones?

I tried it on my MS1 and it just seems to bloom, especially Bublé's voice. When I switch the gain to 'low' (or down), his voice seems.. I don't know how to explain this.. Like something is holding him back..
His voice is also recessed, and the instruments around him are more dominant.

If I switch the gain to 'high', his voice just bloom. He sings wholeheartedly, and his voice becomes more dominant.
There seems to be more graininess to the sound, though.
It reminds me of when I turn up the ISO in digital cameras. More everything, including noise.

Or are the MS1's secretly high impedance phones?
wink.gif

Jan 25, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by sadhanaputra /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What would happen if I switched the gain to 'high' when using low impedance phones?

I tried it on my MS1 and it just seems to bloom, especially Bublé's voice. When I switch the gain to 'low' (or down), his voice seems.. I don't know how to explain this.. Like something is holding him back..

If I switch the gain to 'high', his voice just bloom. He sings wholeheartedly, and his voice becomes more dominant.
It reminds me of when I turn up the ISO in digital cameras. More everything, including noise.

wink.gif

High impedance headphones need lots of voltage, and low impedance headphones need lots of current.

Which amp are you using?

I sometimes experiment with switching between high and low gain with my portable amps. My advice is to do what sounds best...and best might change for different recordings using the same headphones. Again, this preference might change when switching amps as they are designed differently.

Most times I use low gain even with HD650 and only switch to high gain when I get near 1 o'clock using low.

Jan 25, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #8 of 13
Oops.. Forgot to mention: D2 Boa
smily_headphones1.gif

It does sound better with high gain, but I'm afraid I might damage the headphones or something.
I mean, if things do sound better with high gain, why put the switch there?

Do you not experience an increase in SQ (or at least colorization) when you use high gain?

Jan 25, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Oops.. Forgot to mention: D2 Boa
smily_headphones1.gif

It does sound better with high gain, but I'm afraid I might damage the headphones or something.
I mean, if things do sound better with high gain, why put the switch there?

Do you not experience an increase in SQ (or at least colorization) when you use high gain?

You won't damage the headphone, even if using an IEM with high gain when listening( as in -don't crank the amp to max in high gain with an IEM and lay it down)

The low gain is mostly for an IEM or very sensitive headphones so that you have more volume range.

At times I do seem to hear a tonal change when changing gain. Beware that even a slight volume difference will be perceived as a difference in at least one quality that you've been describing.

Jan 25, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #10 of 13
Whooo.. So high gain it is, then
biggrin.gif

..Except for those times when it gets too grainy..

Yeah, louder does seem better. But I tested numerous times with low gain and added volume, the voice is still recessed and 'being held back', and the instrument were still more dominant.
So I'm pretty sure it's not just a case of added volume..

Thanks for your insight anyway, GreatDane.. You seem to be helping me a lot these couple of days
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #11 of 13
With the D2 Boa i find that high gain always souns better in any situation.Except using it with the computer!

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #12 of 13
@Nirvana1000:
Even with low impedance phones?

Sometimes it makes the vocals sound a bit flangy, though, on my OK3s..

Sep 14, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

wink.gif

i also noticed this with my d2 boa, don't know how it affects battery life tho. i have the same setup as you btw, d2boa+ms1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back