Gah! DIY vs Outlaw
May 13, 2002 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
Ok, so, should I make this:

http://www.soundstage.com/synergize/synergize021998.htm

or should I buy the $40 outlaw cables??

The DIYs are supposed to compete with cables that cost hundreds. . .

but thats from his website.
smily_headphones1.gif

So, any help?

May 14, 2002 at 1:54 AM Post #4 of 18
If you care at all about RFI elimination and sturdiness, the OutLaw cable is FAR BETTER.

May 14, 2002 at 2:36 PM Post #7 of 18
I don't believe in buying interconnects. I won't buy a simple interconnect until my soundsystem's total worth is over 20,000$ at that point I will CONSIDER purchasing a commercially manufactured interconnect. For more complex cables like S-Video, DIN, etc. I'm a little more open to the concept of buying them, if only to save the hassle of a difficult cable.

But RCA or speaker cables? They are simple, and easy to work with. Until you get into the ultra-high-end market, I don't believe that a cable manufacturer can offer me a better cable that something I can build myself. Convienience is the only benefit that they can offer me.

So anyway, enough harping. I think you should build your own cables! Its fun, its educational, it can sound very good, and you'll have the satisfaction of being an active participant in your sound system, instead of just a passive consumer.

Peace,
phidauex

May 14, 2002 at 4:39 PM Post #8 of 18
Just so you understand...

I was building my own cables before most of you were born, and I'm telling you you can't build cables as good as the outlaws for as cheap as you can buy them. So if you want to build your own for fun, that's one thing, if you're after the best quality and sound that you can obtain for the money, then that's another matter.

May 15, 2002 at 5:41 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by kwkarth
I'm telling you you can't build cables as good as the outlaws for as cheap as you can buy them. So if you want to build your own for fun, that's one thing, if you're after the best quality and sound that you can obtain for the money, then that's another matter.

He's right, you know. At $40, the Outlaw interconnect is a steal.

May 15, 2002 at 6:05 AM Post #11 of 18
Hirsch-

Have you had a chance to do any comparison between the Homegrown cables and the Outlaws?

May 15, 2002 at 6:20 AM Post #12 of 18
I compared the PCA vs. Homegrownaudio Super Silver, I sold the Super Silvers. The PCAs are the more neutral cable.

The Super Silver try to pretty up the midrange in comparison, kind of like a tube amp, but ultimately sound too soft. The PCAs trump them in the frequency extremes as well, and are quieter and cleaner sounding. They are my reference wire.

May 15, 2002 at 6:09 PM Post #14 of 18
Hmmm. Thanks for your input!

I still can't believe no one has made those SST cables.

Quote:

Originally posted by BenG
I compared the PCA vs. Homegrownaudio Super Silver, I sold the Super Silvers. The PCAs are the more neutral cable.

The Super Silver try to pretty up the midrange in comparison, kind of like a tube amp, but ultimately sound too soft. The PCAs trump them in the frequency extremes as well, and are quieter and cleaner sounding. They are my reference wire.

May 15, 2002 at 8:09 PM Post #15 of 18
I've built two highly regarded inexpensive DIY interconnects, the X-Cable (from www.tnt-audio.com) and the John Risch 89259 (identical to Bolder Type 1 retail of $70). Both cost around $30 to build using high quality parts, including all teflon dielectric, silver/rhodium Cardas RCAs (89259), and WBT clone locking RCAs (x-cable). I recently did a shootout between these two DIY interconnects, the Straightwire Chorus and the Outlaw PCA.

I could easily distinguish all of them (no blind test done though). The 89259 w/ the very nice Cardas RCA plugs had the best clarity, detail, imaging and soundstage, but was slightly bright and the bass was too recessed (tight is what they would call it on audioasylum) for my tastes. When I first listened to it, comments about Stax sound came to my mind because what visceral bass was there before seemed to have gone missing, and in its place was an incredible midrange with more details and focus, and some excellent, if a bit bright, treble. The X-Cable had even more brightness (silver plated copper wire) and less bass. The Straightwire was warm and smooth, with less details/clarity than the other contenders, and emphasized the midrange, having roll off in the treble and bass. I preferred the Outlaw overall, although I do miss the stunning clarity and details of the 89259 w/ Cardas. In a speaker system I might prefer the 89259, but headphones can use a little extra bass, in my opinion, to counteract the fact that there is no visceral body shaking bass present as there would be in real life.

So while I don't think the Outlaw's are absolutely neutral, nor necessarily even the most neutral under $100, I think they are one of the best I've heard, and will likely stay in my system for some time to come. The various DIY recipes will sound different but not clearly superior to the Outlaws. I think they are a great bargain, and would compete well with anything under $100 if not more. The Straightwire and x-cable are ok, but not in the same league as the other two.

This comparison was done with D500SE -> Corda -> HD600.

Most of what I've read about the SST cables say that the John Risch 89259 is much better than they are. Take that for what it is worth, which may not be much since it is hearsay.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back