Gabriel turntable
Jan 16, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 5
Well, it uses four tonearms and it costs $64,000. Definitely not an entry-level design.

Jan 16, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 5
I saw that article, too. Concept-wise and design-wise, there doesn't seem anything new. 4 tonearms, I've seen before, even in the older reference Micro Seiki TTs... magnetic suspension, too, was done by J.C. Verdier back in 1979, and now, quite a few high end TTs have it, including Clearaudio, EAR DiscMaster, Da Vinci Audio, etc. etc... The build quality, I'm sure, is superb... but I've seen way too many pretty-looking TTs sound miserable to judge a TT by its cover. Personally speaking, I think you're paying for the Ferrari fit-n-finish. The same technology can be had from much more proven contenders for MUCH cheaper, if it's about 4-arm accommodation and magnetic suspension. Don't know much more about the TT's technology, so there may be something I'm missing. But for that money, you can buy Platine Verdier, Shindo Garrard AND Spiral Groove 2! If I want something with 4 arms, I'd go that route personally...
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostmusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw that article, too. Concept-wise and design-wise, there doesn't seem anything new. 4 tonearms, I've seen before, even in the older reference Micro Seiki TTs... magnetic suspension, too, was done by J.C. Verdier back in 1979, and now, quite a few high end TTs have it, including Clearaudio, EAR DiscMaster, Da Vinci Audio, etc. etc... The build quality, I'm sure, is superb... but I've seen way too many pretty-looking TTs sound miserable to judge a TT by its cover. Personally speaking, I think you're paying for the Ferrari fit-n-finish. The same technology can be had from much more proven contenders for MUCH cheaper, if it's about 4-arm accommodation and magnetic suspension. Don't know much more about the TT's technology, so there may be something I'm missing. But for that money, you can buy Platine Verdier, Shindo Garrard AND Spiral Groove 2! If I want something with 4 arms, I'd go that route personally...
biggrin.gif

Exactly. If you get your mind going, with some calc and geometry, one could put 4 arms on just about anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back