[FYI] Various IEM's tips pictorial comparison (updated Sept 29th, 2011)
Nov 9, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #47 of 404
Does anybody now if the Ety tri-flanges fit the Atrios?
popcorn.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #48 of 404
I see that the Ety tri-flanges are expandable to 3.5mm just like the Olives,which fit the Atrios,but very tight.

Nov 10, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #49 of 404
It will hold firm, but I won't call it very tight. Atrio nozzle is only 3mm in diameter, and tr-flange's silicone is quite soft and rubbery (unlike olive which has a semi-hard plastic tube).

Nov 10, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #50 of 404
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sticky vote also. Impressive, informative work!

X2.

Dear Moderator,
This thread is very informative, please make it sticky.

In future, I hope ClieOS can includes the 'custom sleeves' information too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, here are some information about custom sleeves/earpieces types/selections which Westone offers. But not all can be applicable for IEMs, IMHO.

http://www.westone.com/content/35.html

Thank you.

Nov 11, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #51 of 404
i have bought a pair of Philips SHE9850 IEM's

they use Comply T100 foam tips... so when i looked at the Comply website, they also have TX100 foam tips, basically T100 with some kind of layer covering the opening so earwax doesnt get into the nozzle
it seems to be a good idea, has anyone tried it?

also, a table listing of the inner diameters of the tips would be very very very helpful... if only manufacturers would give this data... Comply just has their inner diameters listed as 'Depends on earphone design. Several stock sizes available' ... it sounds like they have more than one inner diameter for their tips...

im sure that many people posting in this thread would have the same question as me, what other tips can i use if my IEM fits a certain tip?

Nov 11, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #52 of 404
In your case, Comply T100 (and of course the corresponding TX100) and P-series (for Westone), Shure olive (this is the one I use for SHE9850) along with most of Shure silicones eartips (as long as it is not for E2).

There are generally two type of nozzle size: around 3mm or around 5.5mm (diameter).

For SHE9850, it has the former size, so any eartips that has a inner diameter smaller than 3mm and will expend up to 3mm will fit SHE9850. There are other IEM with odd size nozzle that just won't fit the common 3mm / 5.5mm eartips, hence why Comply comes out with some many type of foam tips.

On a side note, TX100 is probably a tiny bit less detail than T100 since filter tend to adsorb some treble. On the other hand, if you have a lot of earwax, it might be a good choice.

Nov 11, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #53 of 404
ahh thanks

on the Shure website , it shows the compatibility of the tips, either its for E2 , or its not compatible with E2... so at least in this case it is straightforward to choose

i am guessing that , since the black foamies are already so isolating, the triple flange will make it super-isolating? or is that a wrong concept...

this idea might be abit strange, but what happens if you immerse the non-foam type tip in hot water... will it become softer and more comfortable?

Nov 11, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #54 of 404
Olive (black foam) and tri-flanges usually give the same amount of isolation, from my experience.

It will temporary get softer in hot water, but probably not enough to make a real difference.

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #55 of 404
also... you mentioned that the Shure tips will work with my IEM ... but wont any tips with internal diameter less than 3mm also work? as long as they can stretch past 3mm to go over the nozzle...

Nov 11, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #56 of 404
Quote:

Originally Posted by carmatic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also... you mentioned that the Shure tips will work with my IEM ... but wont any tips with internal diameter less than 3mm also work? as long as they can stretch past 3mm to go over the nozzle...

Yes, they will. I mentioned Shure just that they are well known and easier to find. You can of course try any eartips that match the description.

Nov 12, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #57 of 404
one more question... what is the effect of the different opening sizes? like the Shure grey flex has a much smaller hole than the black olives

Nov 12, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #59 of 404
Hole size and the material both have effect on the sound. Small hole generally can be less detail, narrower soundstage or more upfront mid. Stiffer material usually give better bass. However, these effects do vary by a lot.

Grey flex with foam? Perhaps you mean stuffing foam behind the flange?

Nov 12, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #60 of 404
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hole size and the material both have effect on the sound. Small hole generally can be less detail, narrower soundstage or more upfront mid. Stiffer material usually give better bass. However, these effects do vary by a lot.

Grey flex with foam? Perhaps you mean stuffing foam behind the flange?

Oh yes exactly, what do you know about that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back