FX-Audio DAC-X6 initial impressions
Sep 5, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #121 of 132
Have a DT 880 Pro hook up to a DAC-X6. I've to turm up the volume control 3/4 before I can have a acceptable level. For my ATH-M50x, I only have to turn up to quarter. Is the X6 not suitable for the DT 880 Pro?
Try the jumper mod. Open up the amp and put those two jumpers near the headphone jack closest to the jack.

Oct 19, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #122 of 132
Kinda baffled at your predicament. I have no issues driving T1 and DT880 600ohm, let alone HD650 or current hungry HE400i with this. I did upgrade to a 12V 6A power brick, but the included 12V1A did just fine at listenable volumes. Listening to well recorded symphony on the T1 much past 1 o'clock is ear piercing when orchestra gets loud.

It definitely has much more juice, even in the low end sub bass compared to to the Magni 2 without gain on. Soundstage is definitely a lot narrower and intimate compared to the Magni2, but it doesn't make the K702 sound like the ATH-M50 (yes, I'm exaggerating) as the M-Stage HPA2 does (a combination I do love, because of powerful bass punch and believable soundstage on the K702).

hi..sorry for old old reply but you think i can run dt 990 600ohm on that dac?

Oct 19, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #123 of 132
After having read many positive reviews of the FX-Audio DAC-X6, also within this forum, I decided to give it a try. It arrived today and works brilliantly with my Superlux HD668B. However, I'm having problems driving IEM's.
The main purpose of the DAC was to improve audio quality over the very cheap USB to 3.5mm connectors, which I had been using ever since the headphone output on my laptop broke.

The DAC works brilliantly, except when driving IEM's. I have tested both the KZ ZS-6 and Brainwavz R1, currently the only IEM's I have at hand, but neither seem to work properly in conjunction with the DAC. The vocals are muffled, almost completely being drowned out by the instruments and near inaudible. The songs also seem to be played in a slow-motion kind of fashion, at a slightly different pace than normal. I have no problem with either of the IEM's when using different external amplification or when connected directly to a phone.

My question; is this normal? A DAC should be able to power both headphones and IEM's right? Is my unit not working properly or am I trying to do something that simply isn't possible?

Many thanks!
cable with microphone version? try a splitter

Feb 23, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #126 of 132
I made an in-depth video review about the DAC X-6 from FX-Audio, interesting DAC, not the best performance, but great thing for a really smol price

Thanks for the review. I wonder how this is as a DAC, because I only use it as a DAC to my LD MKII, I think it is pretty good but I still didn't get a chance to try another DAC with it.

Feb 23, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #127 of 132
Thanks for the review. I wonder how this is as a DAC, because I only use it as a DAC to my LD MKII, I think it is pretty good but I still didn't get a chance to try another DAC with it.

Forn the price, it is excellent. Can't go much better in this range.

You would be making an upgrade if going Topping E30, but it is more expensive and won't be a huge upgrade, just an incremental one

Mar 20, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #128 of 132
Forn the price, it is excellent. Can't go much better in this range.

You would be making an upgrade if going Topping E30, but it is more expensive and won't be a huge upgrade, just an incremental one
I read the audioscience review on the FX Audio DAC-X6, according to their review, it is very bad, but is it really audible? i mean I am not listening to music in a LAB, just in my room with a HD-6XX and some Flacs and phone connected to the dac.

Mar 20, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #129 of 132
I read the audioscience review on the FX Audio DAC-X6, according to their review, it is very bad, but is it really audible? i mean I am not listening to music in a LAB, just in my room with a HD-6XX and some Flacs and phone connected to the dac.

It ain't a perfect sunshine for sure, but audibly, if you have a very limited budget, it is ok.

I can't say I recommend it completely, but newer revisions use better components, and especially the dAC - X6 MKII is improved a bit.

I keep saying for the money it is perfect, because to folks in Romania, it comes really cheap, so many would go for it, as it sounds a bit better than any embedded soundcard out there.

Mar 26, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #130 of 132
It ain't a perfect sunshine for sure, but audibly, if you have a very limited budget, it is ok.

I can't say I recommend it completely, but newer revisions use better components, and especially the dAC - X6 MKII is improved a bit.

I keep saying for the money it is perfect, because to folks in Romania, it comes really cheap, so many would go for it, as it sounds a bit better than any embedded soundcard out there.
With the skyrocketing price of USD, nothing is cheap for us in this third world countries. But i absolutely get your point what you say in Romania. Same thing goes here, what comes out of china is affordable for us, its up to the good folks like you to figure out what is really worth for what we pay even though they are tiny small amounts for others.

At this point dac-x6 wins,

My friend recently bought a s.m.s.l m100 dac, i am going to give it a listening on my LD MK2 and see if i can hear any difference on HD-6XX.

I was also thinking how good dac-x6 dac section compared to direct out of a 2020 end release mid range mobile phone. Like the one im using 'Oppo A53'.

Apr 1, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #131 of 132
I finished a new video for you, my bois!

This time about something made from refurbished components, and other questionable stuff! This is fitting for 1st of April, as at first I assumed I'd be joking and it would catch fire, but it somehow actually works ~

Realy pocket-friendly budget stuff from FX-Audio. I actually liked it for the price, but if you can afford something better, it would be worthwhile to understand the shortcomings of such an affordable DAC/AMP
🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDqX8l5g6RY

May 3, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #132 of 132
I also owns a dac-x6 and I have been using this in the dac stage for about two years now. After reading all that bad results by audiosciencereview, i was just wondering if this effects the DAC section as well.

It sounds terrific as a dac & amp combo and works flawlessly to this date but my doubt is if i am really hearing the music as i should?

Im running a hd-6xx with a LD MK2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back