Futuresonics Atrio M5
Nov 1, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #2,191 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by techenvy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how does the bass compare to the superfi 5 eb,,, since i bought those i tried several other iem's and all have left me unsattisfied, i suspect youll ahve the same problem whhen u trnew ones, yooull miss the atrio sub woofer goodneess

38.gif

gear koss pro4 aaa denon 7000 audio technica hat35d amp.dac
ue superfi 5 eb
smily_headphones1.gif
westonn3, triplefi 10vi rsa prrator amp/dac

"don't get sand in your ear canal!"

Well I had a chance to demo a coworker's SF5 EB a long time ago... so from what I remember the Atrio's bass is quite a bit better. The SF5 EB's just didn't convey the same authority or have the same impact. The Atrios were more natural in the low end, and textured. Also, the SF5 EB's distorted easily if you turned up the music.

Quote:

Originally Posted by techenvy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how does the atrio m5 compare to the senny ie8(which i just learned has a aadjustable bass knob,,,, but that might just distort

I think the Atrio bass still goes lower than the IE8. The IE8's bass is very good for sure, but there's a bit of mid bass coloring the mids. They sound somewhat congested to me.

The only phones I've had recently that rival the Atrio's bass are the Victor FX500's and the new Denon C710's.

Here's a good thread regarding a few of the current bass monsters (the only one it's missing is the Atrio):
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/b...-cks70-434841/

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #2,192 of 2,359
Nov 1, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #2,193 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by actorlife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are these the same? 10 SHURE Soft Flex Sleeves MEDIUM i2c QuietSpot Ear tip - eBay (item 200393140494 end time Nov-09-09 14:41:13 PST)

Nope. Those are the Soft Flex tips, and because they're designed for the e2, e2c, SCL2, i2c, SE102MPA, and QuietSpot earphones, they won't fit (the sound tube is too large). If you want Soft Flex tips for the Atrios, you'll have to get the ones made for the other SE model earphones, E3c, E4c, E5c, E500, i3c, and i4c...like so. If you want Shure "olives" (an unofficial Head-fi-based name that does little more than cause confusion), you'll need to look for Shure's Black Foam Sleeves.

Nov 2, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #2,194 of 2,359
Another tip idea... I took an extra pair of Shure Olives, and de-cored them (they can now be used on other earphones with the wide nozzle) so I can use the removed plastic tube with my Sony Hybrid tips. I push that tube from the Olives up into the tube of the Sony Hybrids as far as it will go, and then push that assembly onto the Atrios. Works like a charm. This gives a nice balanced sound to my ears, with a great seal. With cables down, or with the cables up over the ears, the sound seems to be very good. I haven't done any focused comparisons with other tips on the Atrios yet, but it seems to be one of the better tips for them right now.

Nov 2, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #2,196 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CN11 - what a classic thread. Great work - love to hear how the Atrio sound with your Rx and Shadow!

Heh heh... Thanks so much! It could be even better if I would have been taking the time to update the front page with links to key posts and comparisons all along, ala soozieq's spectacular C700 thread. I'm not as patient as she is though.

But thanks nonetheless!

Nov 2, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #2,197 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another tip idea... I took an extra pair of Shure Olives, and de-cored them (they can now be used on other earphones with the wide nozzle) so I can use the removed plastic tube with my Sony Hybrid tips. I push that tube from the Olives up into the tube of the Sony Hybrids as far as it will go, and then push that assembly onto the Atrios. Works like a charm. This gives a nice balanced sound to my ears, with a great seal. With cables down, or with the cables up over the ears, the sound seems to be very good. I haven't done any focused comparisons with other tips on the Atrios yet, but it seems to be one of the better tips for them right now.

Hey cn11 do you have pics of how you did it. It would be a great help.
beerchug.gif

Nov 2, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #2,198 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by actorlife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey cn11 do you have pics of how you did it. It would be a great help.
beerchug.gif

I'll snap some of the end result as soon as I can... The removed cores from the Olives aren't the prettiest of things, but they get the job done as a sleeve to install the Hybrids over. It's not very easy to get them removed, you just have to keep wrenching and pulling until they come away from the foam tips.

Pics to follow.

Nov 3, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #2,199 of 2,359
Here are some pics of the mod I did. I just pulled/tugged/tore out the central core of the Olive tip (no fancy method- just get it out), then pushed it up inside the center tube of the Sony hybrid. There's even a nice lip on one end of the Olive core, like it was made to do this. It couldn't be simpler, and allows you to use the Sony hybrids with any of your earphones with the skinny nozzle. I've always had great luck with the hybrids on several of my earphones, which is what made me wonder how to get them on the Atrios in the first place.

Good luck....

DSC00847.jpg

DSC00842.jpg

DSC00843.jpg

Presto, you have a Sony hybrid tip on the Atrio:

DSC00844.jpg

Nov 3, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #2,200 of 2,359
cn11 you are the man! I just used one of the yellow form tips that came with the atrios and cut them down and put the Hybrids on the atrios, now they isolate better and the bass is bliss now! Can't wait to get the ebay hybrid knockoff tips! Thanks again!
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #2,204 of 2,359
I posted this on a thread related to the atrio m5 and I thought I'd post it here for all you atrio fans:

I emailed Futuresonics customer service a few days ago and told them my right earphone just died for know apparent reason. I also told them that I bought my pair in October so the 1 yr warranty had expired and that I had lost my receipt in any case. I asked them if they could repair them for me. The director of customer service emailed me back and told me they didn't perform repairs on their universal earphones, but he told me no worries, they would replace my pair, all I needed to do was send the broken pair in- no proof of purchase required. What legendary customer service! They could have easily just brushed it aside since my warranty was expired and I had lost my receipt. Futuresonics knows how to treat their customers!

Nov 6, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #2,205 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by dimisam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I posted this on a thread related to the atrio m5 and I thought I'd post it here for all you atrio fans:

I emailed Futuresonics customer service a few days ago and told them my right earphone just died for know apparent reason. I also told them that I bought my pair in October so the 1 yr warranty had expired and that I had lost my receipt in any case. I asked them if they could repair them for me. The director of customer service emailed me back and told me they didn't perform repairs on their universal earphones, but he told me no worries, they would replace my pair, all I needed to do was send the broken pair in- no proof of purchase required. What legendary customer service! They could have easily just brushed it aside since my warranty was expired and I had lost my receipt. Futuresonics knows how to treat their customers!

yeah, i was reading this thread extensively b4 purchasing my atrio, and saw quite a few ppl also praise their no-question-asked replacement policy. kudos to FS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back