Future Sonics EARS EM3 or ER6i
Apr 29, 2005 at 10:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

warnsey

100+ Head-Fier
They are both in the price bracket i'm looking at. Which one do you think is a better bet. I am not a bass person. I prefer something wit strong mids. Any suggestions would be great

Apr 29, 2005 at 11:40 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by warnsey
They are both in the price bracket i'm looking at. Which one do you think is a better bet. I am not a bass person. I prefer something wit strong mids. Any suggestions would be great

gross overgeneralization, but fairly accurate:
em3 - lots of bass
shures (e2c, e3c) - prominent midrange (recessed treble)
ety - detailed treble (lighter bass)

if youre not a bass person, it should be between the shures and the etys, and if you are a mids person, i'd go with the shures. I would go with the e3c, but many like the er6i as well

Apr 29, 2005 at 1:11 PM Post #3 of 11
yeah the Shure E3 is another one i should probably look into some more.

Cheers

Apr 29, 2005 at 1:18 PM Post #4 of 11
I have the EM3's, and it's strength is bass, so if you're not a bass person, look elsewhere.

Apr 29, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #5 of 11
hello,

Owning both, I would say neither would suit your needs for midrange performance as the em3 has literally no midrange to speak of much like the at ath-a900 (extended highs and sloppy bass overlap gives the midrange its sound.)

and the er6 without an amp has more emphasis on the highs than midrange, making the midrange sound slightly recessed along with the bass.

And I really cannot agree with the recommendation of the e3 as well since without an amp, the midrange does lack in detail and sounds a little congested because of the recessed highs.

Only other IEM I can think of offhand would be the shure e1/westone um1 but those seem to suffer from the same recessed high pushed into the midrange issue.

Perhaps being more specific in your requirements would help you come to a compromise because at your price range, you are going to have to compromise as to the quality of midrange sound you prefer.

Apr 29, 2005 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 11
If you like mids I think the E3s will suit you best. OUt of the ER6i ER4, and E3s the shures have the lushest mids. The mids are very detailed too. The highs however are rolled off (you can fixed this with eq). The bass is not boomy, but yet very musical in my opinion. The mids and bass sound weak on the etys in comparison to the E3s, even when equalized.

Apr 29, 2005 at 5:42 PM Post #7 of 11
hello,

Without additional info such as what equipment he is using, what codecs, genre of music etc etc, how can you come to the determination of eqing mr iriver?

What if his hardware has no eq or amp?

Apr 29, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkfire
hello,

Without additional info such as what equipment he is using, what codecs, genre of music etc etc, how can you come to the determination of eqing mr iriver?

What if his hardware has no eq or amp?

If his hardware has no Eq I still find the E3's as a better choice between ER6i and ER4 (unless his hardware syenergizes with the etys better). While I find the E3s highs roll off to be fixed when eq, I like to listen to them unequalized as they sound more agressive though (which is a sound I like). These shures have a really great lush detailed full sounding midrange, which is why I prefer them over the etys. It gives the music a lively sound. My music preference in music is rock, metal, and some pop. For these music types the shures shine, for other types the ER4 are better.

Apr 29, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #9 of 11
hello,

mr iriver,

The shure treble rolloff is intentional by design and doesnt need any fixing as the E1, E3 and E5 are designed for live performance IEMS vs pre mastered recording sound and this is where the Shures shine vs the etys which are designed primarily for monitoring studio mastered sound.

Exception being the E2C.

This opinion is coming from someone who owns all the IEMS described above with the exception of the E4.

Everyone has different tastes and I am sure you are happy with your E3 performance and eqing, but I am still waiting on the originator of the thread to provide more details since speculation or conjecture is not a productive way to go about this.

Just wanted some clarification because I have equipment that makes the E3 shine, yet on the other hand I have equipment which makes the E3 sound like I stuck my head in a metal garbage can and then had a bunch of kindergarteners beat the can like a pinata.

Apr 29, 2005 at 11:21 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkfire
hello,

mr iriver,

The shure treble rolloff is intentional by design and doesnt need any fixing as the E1, E3 and E5 are designed for live performance IEMS vs pre mastered recording sound and this is where the Shures shine vs the etys which are designed primarily for monitoring studio mastered sound.

Exception being the E2C.

This opinion is coming from someone who owns all the IEMS described above with the exception of the E4.

Everyone has different tastes and I am sure you are happy with your E3 performance and eqing, but I am still waiting on the originator of the thread to provide more details since speculation or conjecture is not a productive way to go about this.

Just wanted some clarification because I have equipment that makes the E3 shine, yet on the other hand I have equipment which makes the E3 sound like I stuck my head in a metal garbage can and then had a bunch of kindergarteners beat the can like a pinata.

I have an ipod 4th generation. They will be used for portable use as i have some AKG 501s for my home setup. My music taste is mainly Acoustic rootsy music. Jack johnson, Donavon frankenrieter, damien rice etc..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back